Help! Losing Hope!

Options
I am getting so frustrated and upset about this whole losing weight thing! I have been working out since the end of December and have lost a whole 2 lbs! 2lbs?? WTF!! Are you freaking kidding me? I work my *kitten* of in the gym and I have 2 lbs to show for it?

I do weight training 2x a week and 60 min of assorted cardio classes at least 4x some times 6x a week! I started tracking calories last week (as well as joined MFP) and I am doing 1200 calories a week which is what my doctor recommended when I saw her last week (she also recommended MFP) I don't get it! What am I doing wrong?

UGH I am so hating life right now!

5'6
Current weight:158
Goal weight: 145

Replies

• angel7472
    angel7472 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Are you overestimating your burn? Are you underestimating calories eaten? Are you doing both and eating back calories? There are too many variables in this equation to say why you aren't losing weight. Im the same height going on 42 and weigh 130 and I did it using this site so Im not sure. You might need to re-evaluate everything.
  • jenmarie2012
    jenmarie2012 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Just remember to be patient. I know it can be very hard at times, but you can not forget why you are doing this n the first place and also it doesn't just happen over night. I can't see your diary so not sure What your eating? Also if you eat a lot of sodium it makes your body retain water weight. So my suggestion is to open your diary so we can take a peak ????. Don't give in you are dong GREAT, 2 pounds lost since en of December!! Wish you the best! ❤ Jenmarie xx
  • turtledove773
    turtledove773 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I have no idea.. I know for the last week i have tracked EVERYTHING that has went into my mouth and I do not eat back my calories just in case I overestimate the calorie burn (ex. Zumba) Before joining MFP I did not track anything, but I did not eat like crap either. I am just getting so darn frustrated with not seeing any change in that number. I mean I was not expecting it to fall off magically in 1 month.. but i would think I'd have some more movement after 2 1/2 mnths when before i did NOTHING and ate like crap 'ola.
  • turtledove773
    Options
    Diary is open!
  • Monty_P
    Monty_P Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Maybe your net calorie intake is too low.
  • greginnd
    greginnd Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I just glanced at your diary. It looks like you eat a lot of pre-packaged and processed foods. Have you thought about putting more effort into preparing your own foods from fresh ingredients? I think that might help to cut down on the amount of sugar, carbs and salt that you are getting. When I see 250 calories for hazelnut creamer first thing in the morning along with a carb-rich cereal for breakfast it makes me think that you may actually be getting more than you think. Are you measuring these things very carefully with a scale and measuring cups? If not, you should do that for a while to see if you are calibrated to portion size properly.

If I were you I would cut down on the items that have the simple sugars and up your intake of fresh vegetables and lean proteins.
  • turtledove773
    Options
    I just glanced at your diary. It looks like you eat a lot of pre-packaged and processed foods. Have you thought about putting more effort into preparing your own foods from fresh ingredients? I think that might help to cut down on the amount of sugar, carbs and salt that you are getting. When I see 250 calories for hazelnut creamer first thing in the morning along with a carb-rich cereal for breakfast it makes me think that you may actually be getting more than you think. Are you measuring these things very carefully with a scale and measuring cups? If not, you should do that for a while to see if you are calibrated to portion size properly.

If I were you I would cut down on the items that have the simple sugars and up your intake of fresh vegetables and lean proteins.

Yes I measure them with a measuring cup.. no scale. and how long is a while? I mean how long do i try something to see if it works before moving on to something else? 1 week 2 weeks a month? I am so clueless!
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    You just started tracking your calories last week. While working out is good for overall health, a calorie deficit is all that is needed to lose weight. You may log everything, but to get a true grasp on what you are eating, you need a food scale.

Read this link and all of the links in it:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?page=1#posts-16625920
  • Hazel9999
    Hazel9999 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Try changing how you eat, spread your 3meals over 6 meals during the day, make you body work harder burning up food calories? You are probably putting on muscle and is why you weigh more. Don't give up hun
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,001 Member
    Options

Yes I measure them with a measuring cup.. no scale. and how long is a while? I mean how long do i try something to see if it works before moving on to something else? 1 week 2 weeks a month? I am so clueless!

I strongly recommend a food scale, preferably one that will measure in both grams and ounces (or just grams and do the math when necessary, 1 oz. = 28 g), and that will reset to zero (tare) after you put your plate or bowl on it, and as you add multiple ingredients. It's easy to get extra food when using volume measures (by "packing" or "rounding," or by using a different size dice or having crumbled chip, cookies, etc., compared to the measure used for the package label.
  • ME0172
    ME0172 Posts: 200
    Options
    You just started tracking your calorie intake so you should give it some time. All I can say is what worked for me. I'm 42. I spent years "working out and eating right" and never lost weight so I told myself I never would. When I started using MFP and tracking everything I ate I started seeing a difference. Then I bought a heart rate monitor to track my calories burned because I wanted to eat my calories back. I started steadily losing a pound a week and lost 30 pounds. My goal was only to lose 20 but I was able to keep going! I haven't been this size, or this healthy, for 20 years. You can do this!
  • Sorova
    Sorova Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    You answered your own question yourself: you just started tracking calories one week ago. Although you were working out since December, you were probably eating more calories than you realized. If you only had an average calorie deficit of 250 calories per day, that would explain your rate of loss.

Now that you're tracking, you can make sure you're creating a big enough deficit for slightly faster weight loss. Around 1 pound per week is a good maximum goal at your weight (you're pretty close to target weight, which means losses should be slower). That means a deficit of about 500 calories daily. 1200 calories is probably okay on days you're sedentary, but on days when you do intensive workouts you should eat a bit more.

One week is a short amount of time for the body. Changes often take longer than that, so try to be patient.

Measure as accurately as you can. If you can afford it, a food scale is a very good investment.
  • annettehoyt
    annettehoyt Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I was just about to post the same complaint. I have been logging calories since early January and working out 5+ days a week and have lost 4 pounds, and have been pretty discouraged. My brother in law is very knowledgable in this area and gave me a few tips. I was eating healthy foods, but they were high in fat, good fat, but still.... like almond butter and olive oil and avocados. He suggested cutting back on those things, eating less white flour/white carbs, and cutting sugar almost completely. He also said sometimes the body retains water in the beginning of a diet/exercise change, so it could be making it harder to lose weight.

But I have been pretty discouraged as well, so I know how you feel. I worked really hard and ate SUPER strict for 3 weeks and only lost 1 lb in that time frame. I am now, sadly, starting to give up a little bit. I am still working out and eating healthier, but I am not eating the way I should. Am splurging a little.

Lets make a pact together to be super strict and work REALLY HARD this week - no splurges! Lots of fruit and veggies and work out a lot and lets MAKE the scale go down, and when we see the number drop, even if it's just a little, it will motivate us to keep going! You in with me?!
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    You answered your own question yourself: you just started tracking calories one week ago. Although you were working out since December, you were probably eating more calories than you realized. If you only had an average calorie deficit of 250 calories per day, that would explain your rate of loss.

Now that you're tracking, you can make sure you're creating a big enough deficit for slightly faster weight loss. Around 1 pound per week is a good maximum goal at your weight (you're pretty close to target weight, which means losses should be slower). That means a deficit of about 500 calories daily. 1200 calories is probably okay on days you're sedentary, but on days when you do intensive workouts you should eat a bit more.

One week is a short amount of time for the body. Changes often take longer than that, so try to be patient.

Measure as accurately as you can. If you can afford it, a food scale is a very good investment.

^This. Weighing/measuring food is where the magic happens, and when you don't have much weight to lose, it takes longer. The people on here dropping 8 lbs a month have much more to lose than you do. Don't compare your stats to anyone else, and don't get discouraged - the scale is moving in the right direction, and that's what matters.
  • forty_rules
    Options
    I ma not sure this is going to help! but I am the same weight as you and like you have lost about 3 pounds ! in about 3 weeks. I am working out much more than before and my shape has improved , but the weight thing is getting me down. I am very aware that my sweet tooth totally messes up my calorie intake though and if I could just find a way to not get hungry for bread and sweets I would be on the road to progress All practical advice for this welcome!!
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Weight loss seems like it's 90% diet, 10% exercise--so basically you just started! Buying a food scale was the best thing I ever did, I got one from Amazon for $25, totally worth it to be able to know exactly how much I'm eating. I would start there and give it a good month or so. Good luck!
  • catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    You just started tracking your calories last week. While working out is good for overall health, a calorie deficit is all that is needed to lose weight. You may log everything, but to get a true grasp on what you are eating, you need a food scale.

Read this link and all of the links in it:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?page=1#posts-16625920

^This
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    5'6
    Current weight:158
    Goal weight: 145

What everyone else says... and... your ticker says you've got 19 lbs to go. Your current weight minus your goal weight says you have 13 lbs to go. Either way, this is a small amount of weight to lose in the scheme of things... and could take some time. If you've just started logging, then, you might find your answer soon.
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Also---looking at your diary, it's not bad....I would consider trying to cut down the amount of cream you use--I know it's hard but it's just empty calories (between the creamer and Hershey's with milk, you're getting up to 500 calories a day with no nutrients). I started drinking green tea with honey--45 calories and just as good--though I do still have coffee once a week!

Also--it looks like you're being pretty good, but with Chic Fil A, try their side salad with low fat Italian dressing--extra fiber/veggies for little calories, easy way to add something good to your diet.

And I agree with others, it takes time to cut out processed foods but the more whole fruits/veggies you eat, the better you will do! Eat a banana, apple, or whatever for your snacks. Almonds are also great when you're hungry.

GOOD LUCK! You can do it, just stick with it and start to make some improvements.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Chick-Fil-A - Chicken Tortilla Soup Medium - Per Chick-Fil-A Website, 1 Container

and some serious high sodium days.