Hand Gripper

Options
Hi All,
I was just wondering if anybody know how to calculate cals burn for hand gripper? I've search earlier I posted this thread but couldn't find anything related to this subject.

Or this cannot be calculate as exercise?

tks

Replies

• wingchunrick
    wingchunrick Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt bother counting that to be honest. You're better working the big muscles (legs, chest, back, shoulders). This will create a thermal burn and will increase your metabolism so you burn calories for like 2 days after your workout.
  • zianiH
    zianiH Posts: 68
    Options
    Hi Wingchunrick,

I never put that into my exercise, I just want to know whether I burn any cals by doing that? I have 1 handgrip in my car and I will do this exercise almost everyday... if I caught in the jam or waiting for traffic light to turn green. Is there any cals burn there? If there is, that wud be a bonus to me, I will still not gonna put that as exercise...
  • guardianwill
    guardianwill Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Did a search and GNC sells hand grips with rep counter and calories burned. So indeed-as with any activity there must be fuel spent to do such, this energy expenditure means calories burned. I too use a hand grip. So I thought it was neat that indeed they sell a gadget - I only wish they stated their formula....
  • pulplyrics
    pulplyrics Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You can use a heart rate monitor while using the hand grip to find out. The forearm muscles are quite small, so the caloric expenditure will be also small.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I don't use a hand gripper any more to be honest. Something like timed dead hangs are far more useful I think. You'll increase grip strength + have the added benefit of potentially working into a good compound exercise (pullups) that will give you a lot more return for your work. Just my 2 cents :)
  • Hooliekom
    Hooliekom Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    pulplyrics wrote: »
    You can use a heart rate monitor while using the hand grip to find out. The forearm muscles are quite small, so the caloric expenditure will be also small.

Ummm, elderly thread alert... (and yes, I do know that I am perpetuating it, too ;) ) And also - no, no you can't...
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Hooliekom wrote: »
    pulplyrics wrote: »

Ummm, elderly thread alert... (and yes, I do know that I am perpetuating it, too ;) ) And also - no, no you can't...

Ah jeez LOL! I need to learn to look at the dates :D
  • Hooliekom
    Hooliekom Posts: 94 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options

Phirrgus wrote:
    Ah jeez LOL! I need to learn to look at the dates :D

Frankly, I'm surprised I noticed myself - I was that keen to refute the statement about using an HR monitor to count the calories burned that I almost pounced... :) !