Personal Trainer Here

Options
I have been busy personal training and have not posted for awhile. Things are going well with the training. Most of my clients are working out really well and losing the weight. People debate all the time if one needs a personal training. I would have to say yes and no. Some people are very knowledgeable on nutrition and exercise, but lack the ability to be pushed. This is where I come in, I push and track my clients progress week to week. A lot of times, if they are with me for awhile I will throw in a lot of free sessions. It is not about the money, but the ability to help others. I train my clients as if they were learning to become a trainer someday. I give them the ability to learn from me so down the road they do not need me anymore. I figure, if I am good enough to help people reach their goals, I will continue to obtain clients. I want to make sure that every time a client finishes a training session, he or she feels they got the most out of the 30 - 60 minutes they are with me. If they don't, its free. Of course no one has said that lol. I believe the course success to everyones goal is simple, stick to it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1'

Replies

• carlajp18
    carlajp18 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    At the most "balanced" part of my life I had a personal trainer who pushed me and motivated me! When I can afford it again, I will most definitely sign up agin! A personal trainer really does push you beyond what you think is possible and the results are proof positive!

I am a huge fan of 1/2 the cost when you bring a buddy to your sessions! It gives you the expertise you need from your trainer but at half the cost because you are sharing their time with someone else. Win, win!!!
  • tmcowan
    tmcowan Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I had a personal trainer a few years ago that I only had the opportunity to meet with twice before I had some health issues and then I had to stop. I've become pretty active and have considered becoming a personal trainer myself. I've found that since I've become more active in running and biking I have more people asking for my advice. I'd also like to learn more of the nutritional aspect of it. Glad to hear that you've been busy.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I wish I could afford a PT. I totally need a Jillian Michaels to scream at me on the treadmill, lol.
  • priskar
    priskar Posts: 156
    Options
    I joined a fitness center about 4 months ago and Monday I meet with a personal trainer for my first training session. I'm so excited! While I was fairly diligent about going and working out, I get bored and she promised me no boredom. I hope she works me til I drop! I also hope training will really help with my weight loss. I've also got a nutritionist on board who I love! I think I'm set for success. We'll see. Hoping for a much slimmer, trimmer 2011,

Priska
  • Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I too wish I could afford a personal trainer! Was also considering the training to be one, we'll see when I reach my goal :) Glad to hear you like to help people and you aren't just in it for cash!!!
  • Lupanara
    Options
    I have had one session with a personal trainer. They made me feel so horrible about myself, that I never went back to that gym, or even wanted to work out. I am not accusing you of that, in fact, I am glad to hear that you actually care. If I had gotten that, I may have been more motivated earlier and not waited 3 more years to really get in shape.
  • missyhse
    missyhse Posts: 189
    Options
    I'd be a rockstar if I could afford a trainer :bigsmile:
  • BughaBear
    Options
    I think this is so true when I had a trainer he pushed and I did cause I couldnt fail. Then after they stopped havin them at the gym I went to the classes and had friends to workout with so I was motivated and in turn I motivated them then I just gave up but now that I have found this place Im back on track I know it will take time but this is a life change
  • budblue
    Options
    I started my healthy living journey about a year ago (1/4/10) and met my personal trainer in April. I am grateful for the encouragement and patience he showed since I was a relative newbie in the gym. With my hard work and dedication and his patience and encouragement I have done things in the past year that I never imagined possible. I have lost 45 pounds. I participated in six 5K races, one a mud run. I went on a fitness cruise last month. I have stepped out of my box and tried new things! I have my trainer in part to thank for these positve changes!
  • MsLisaB
    MsLisaB Posts: 256
    Options
    I have had one session with a personal trainer. They made me feel so horrible about myself, that I never went back to that gym, or even wanted to work out. I am not accusing you of that, in fact, I am glad to hear that you actually care. If I had gotten that, I may have been more motivated earlier and not waited 3 more years to really get in shape.

I'm sorry to hear that. Not all PTs are like that. In fact, the good PTs are the complete opposite. I've been with my guy for over two years now and he's been nothing but supportive and encouraging. He does push me but never in a bad way and he's never made me feel bad about myself.

To get the most out of a personal trainer they really need to be a good fit with you, your personality and your goals. If you do go back to using one, don't feel afraid to "shop around". If one particular trainer doesn't work for you, then try another. Don't feel like you're committed to a particular person just because you've had 1 session with them.
  • dixon5000
    dixon5000 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Here are a few tips to determine if the personal trainer is a good one:

1. Is he or she really going to help reach your goals? Are they willing to listen to your goals and are they honest with you about your goals?

2. Ask if they are certified. If a trainer is going to spend the money to pursue a certificate, they are at least somewhat knowledgeable. I am 36 now and I have been working out since 1991. It still took me 6 months to get my certificate.

3. Are they dependable? Ask around, talk to people who have hired this trainer and was his or her clients happy?

4. See if they will give you advise without charging you? A good personal trainer is very personable, they will offer up advise if asked. ( I give free sessions to see if the person is going to work well with me or not, and if not, I will direct them to another trainer) Being honest off the bat will build relationships at the gym and they will thank me down the road.

5. Do they want a bunch of money up front? This is always a sign that the trainer is about making money first and your goals second.

These are just a few pointers. I encourage people in my gym to link up with others who have similar goals, sometimes all you need is a partner to push you a little, not a trainer. Good luck all.
  • Zuznana
    Zuznana Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I too believe that personal trainers are great way to get where you want to be. It's the right push they give you. I really wish I could still afford one as it was the best thing I done regarding getting into shape. I really miss her. I am not good at exercise. I don't do much of it at all apart from walking with the kids and dog, but when I had my trainer, I enjoyed every minute of it. Now, I'm home with 2 kids and husband who is not much into exercise, so I can't stand doing it in the living room, when they are all just sitting there watching TV or me.......it's worse then going to the gym. :smile: