For those afraid to join a gym....

Options
2»

Replies

• Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    I am going to quit stripping at 39, because at 40 i'd start getting judged for it.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    I am going to quit stripping at 39, because at 40 i'd start getting judged for it.

*throws dollar bills*
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Ignoring all the snideness . . .

I think this is a really nice thing to say, OP, but my experience on this board as taught me that it isn't true. Some people are looking at people and judging them. For wearing make up to the gym. For being on their phones during their rest periods. For wearing cologne. For all sorts of things really.

The trick (for me anyway) is deciding that regardless of what people may or may not think, you're not going to let them stand between you and your goals.

My two cents. Snidely. :wink:
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options

I think this is a really nice thing to say, OP, but my experience on this board as taught me that it isn't true. Some people are looking at people and judging them. For wearing make up to the gym. For being on their phones during their rest periods. For wearing cologne. For all sorts of things really.

The trick (for me anyway) is deciding that regardless of what people may or may not think, you're not going to let them stand between you and your goals.

JudgingYou.gif
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

JudgingYou.gif

tumblr_inline_mgotpfbM6h1ro2d43_zps7f1a0329.gif

:wink:
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options

JudgingYou.gif

bb2.gif
  • cursiny
    cursiny Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I kinda need that today as I hobbled into the gym on my crutches to sit on the bike and rehab my three week ago surgeried knee. :)
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options

I have actually done some of these things mentally but not said anything out loud. I do think its amusing when someone is in the spin class on their mobile phone, or if they have full make up in a gym. Or someone grunting so load when lifting their weights. but at the end of the day we all need to do what we need to do to get the job done who cares what the next person is doing. If you have paid your money you have the right to be there just like everyone else.
  • callyart
    callyart Posts: 209
    Options
    I agree.

I joined a gym 2 weeks ago and was so scared that people would judge me. I was so surprised when I started going - no one comments or looks at you rude. Everyone pretty much sticks to their groups or their own business while working out.

I have had polite hello's and smiles, which makes me feel comfortable there.

There are people bigger than me, fitter than me, smaller than me - all shapes and sizes.

It's the best step I ever took to gaining a healthier lifestyle.
  • dezb64
    dezb64 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    When I'm at the gym I am there for 1 goal, get as fit as I possibly can. Sure I have caught guys staring at me (yes, I'm the woman lifting at 5am). I usually stare back or say hello. I've actually received compliments on how good I look as compared to 6 months ago. Like I said I am there for one thing and one thing only and I don't care what anyone else is up to.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options

SnidelyWhiplash-219x300.png
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

JudgingYou.gif

bb2.gif

:angry:

:flowerforyou:
  • lizzyclatworthy
    lizzyclatworthy Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Everyone has been lovely so far. The guys even give me a heads up when they finish with weights I am looking to use.
    Even the guy who told me he was going to find my house and call over managed to make a joke like that in a non threatening manner (you have to admit, that's not easy)
    I know people are judging me for playing with my phone but it's got a countdown timer on it and that's the excuse I am sticking with!
    And as far as make up goes, I am usually coming from a meeting or whatever (yeah, it's last nights makeup) so I will sweat it off
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    1- "I have INSIGHT"
    2- Strippers on meth only LOOK 40: http://www.motherjones.com/media/2013/08/meth-addicts-before-and-after-photos
    3- HINEY http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hiney
    4- "....in the same BOAT"
    5- max out incline=hang off the control panel...FTW
    6- re: hope the pilates instructor is fat now....really? not dead, or divorced? fat? that's the worst thing you can be?
    7- once you get in your grove be sure to pick some oranges
    8- creeping hotties in matching outfits, make up, and sweet smelling perfume...even if I'm fat?
    9- " I am ignoring all the snide comments" ..teamwork...I AM IGNORING THE REST.
    10- the last post above....seems to have been MADE for me. "guys give me heads up", find my house=/=threatening...if you smile I guess *shrugs* , to avoid being judged for countdown timers on phones please to use countdown timers on neck https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRTbIqFzCpZykW-Z_OGhuKvl-8a6xNKMpftIndPkMtEqlVhkH7_
    lol..."COMING from WHATEVER in last nights make up...i think there's a term for that. Treadmill walk of shame anyone?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

agreed..or having their hair done or in cute workout cloths or being on cardio machines or a woman in the weight room...

everyone judges either outloud or in their head.

Could be a good judgment such as "wow look at them go" or a negative one..."amg she's only here to pick up".

That's why I workout at home...even then I get judged...Missed my OHP on Friday...judged myself.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

agreed..or having their hair done or in cute workout cloths or being on cardio machines or a woman in the weight room...

everyone judges either outloud or in their head.

Could be a good judgment such as "wow look at them go" or a negative one..."amg she's only here to pick up".

That's why I workout at home...even then I get judged...Missed my OHP on Friday...judged myself.

so true. *sigh*

I had to move OHP to deadlift day so I wouldn't be tempted to skip.
  • GeminiFitness1
    GeminiFitness1 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Some of our members come with full makeup and nicely dressed, others workout in slacks it doesn't matter as long as your feeling comfortable.