Protein powder during weight loss?

Options
I'm 20 years old and a female

I'm looking to lose 35 pounds in about 5 months or so.

I was just curious about protein and protein powder intake.

On my nutrien pie chart is says I need 20% protein. I am getting that much everyday, but I'm wondering if it would be beneficial to be having a protein shake before/after a work out?

I want to have definition. Muscles in my thighs and stuff (but not overly so)

Should I wait until I get to a certain weight and then take protein shakes?

I just hear so much bout it I'm confused.

Replies

• ofccat
    ofccat Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    You need protein whether it is getting there with enough foods or with the help of a protein shake. There is nothing wrong with adding protein to a drink to boost your levels. Personally I have used the Aria Whey Protein before and drink Shakeology Protein drink. What are your ratios at for fat/protein/carbs and how far are you from reaching the protein? (IE: you should get say 87g and you get 20g normally)
  • happyfeet1993
    happyfeet1993 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    According to myfitnesspal my goal is:
    50% carbs
    30% fat
    20% protein

And I am achieving those %s every day.
  • Dsanders460
    Dsanders460 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Protein right after a work out will help your body recover, but it does not have to be a shake to work. If you are already meeting your goals, then adding shakes is not needed. Maybe switching your meal times around or adding in a protein rich snack so you have something within 30 minutes or so of finishing your workout should cut it. Oh, and from what I understand, a glass of chocolate milk is just as affective as a protein shake for a post workout recovery drink, so do whichever is easier for you!
  • enchantedgardener
    enchantedgardener Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    The default setting for macros in myfitnesspal is 20% protein, 30% fats, and 50% carbs.

Personally, I find that I do much better with a higher ratio of protein. I like 30% protein, 30% fat, 40% carbs.
    I need to restrict my carb intake because I LOVE breads, pasta, sweets. I can't just have a little - I always want more, more, more. The best thing for me is to avoid these kinds of foods most of the time.

People choose different macro settings for different reasons: personal preference, dietary needs, fitness goals. Increasing your protein intake if you are trying to lose weight or gain muscle is definitely common practice, so feel free to choose to do so as well. You can easily edit your macros here on MFP (click on My Home, Goals, Change Goals, Custom).

If you want to gain muscle definition, weight bearing exercise is essential. Additional protein helps with building and repairing muscle tissue. There are lots of different opinions on how much protein is 'ideal' though. (I don't think going any higher than 20-30% is necessary. Others may disagree.)

Protein is great for helping you lose weight because it helps keep you feeling full, hence you're less likely to overeat. I try to combine a source of protein and a source of fiber as part of each meal and snack for that reason. Both slow your digestion and help you feel fuller, longer.

You can definitely start enjoying protein shakes now. Just be aware that shakes and smoothies can be high in calories, so make sure you are keeping within your daily calorie intake.
  • happyfeet1993
    Options
    I loveee love love bread and pasta and stuff too!
    I would rather eat bread and butter as a guilty pleasure instead of chips or cake. That's how much I love it!
    Since I just cannot give it up, I've limited myself to having one serving of whole wheat bread at lunch time!

Thank you for your advice.
    I just looked into my nutrient details further to see what I am getting or not getting enough of, I think for now my protein is okay but I will keep on increasing it.
    I noticed I'm not getting nearly enough iron (and I have been low on iron before) so time to start taking those supplements again!
  • DamianaKitten
    DamianaKitten Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I loveee love love bread and pasta and stuff too!
    I would rather eat bread and butter as a guilty pleasure instead of chips or cake. That's how much I love it!
    Since I just cannot give it up, I've limited myself to having one serving of whole wheat bread at lunch time!

Thank you for your advice.
    I just looked into my nutrient details further to see what I am getting or not getting enough of, I think for now my protein is okay but I will keep on increasing it.
    I noticed I'm not getting nearly enough iron (and I have been low on iron before) so time to start taking those supplements again!
    Cooking in cast iron actually gives a small amount of iron to foods cooked in it. Well, that's what I was told by one of my doctors. No clue if it's true or not.
  • happyfeet1993
    Options
    Oh thank you! Good to know that I should have something post workout.
    And chocolate milk eh?? I never woulda guessed. gotta get me some
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Unless your exercise includes some muscle bulkiing workouts, it's probably not necessary in your case, However, if you're using smoothies as a snack or a meal replacement a heaping tablespoon of protein powder will make it more filling. I prefer hemp power for the extra fiber, but it's kind of a personal preference thing.
  • enchantedgardener
    enchantedgardener Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Re: Iron intake
    Since food labels aren't required to list the iron (mg or DRI%), oftentimes a food item might have 0 mg iron in the database when it actually does contain iron.
    I noticed raw carrots, as an example, are often listed as 0 mg iron when in fact they are a good source. Some entries for 'carrots' in the database *do* have the iron in the nutritional profile, so I make sure that I use those entries and not the ones with 0 mg iron.

If you eat a whole foods diet including veggies, whole grains, dairy, eggs, meats, and legumes, your iron intake is probably decent.
  • ofccat
    ofccat Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    if you are hitting your ratios then you should be getting in enough protein. Unless you need to reassess those ratios.

While chocolate milk can help there are many other options. I liked this article from runners world that discussed it:
    http://www.runnersworld.com/nutrition-for-runners/is-chocolate-milk-really-best-for-recovery?page=single

With chocolate milk just be careful with the sugars in it.