Passing it on! NSV!

Options
I wish this success story came with pics. (Maybe it will at some point!) Those are always the best! But I am feeling very successful and wanted to share. :drinker:

I've been on a journey towards health and fitness since September and been having success and kicking myself at the same time for waiting so long to make it happen. I've been unhappy with my body since high school and now I have a high schooler of my own and she is unhappy with her body too. I just can't bear the idea that she might spend 20 years unhappy with herself before she "wakes up". :brokenheart:

Of course, by default, she was eating a lot better, because she eats what I buy/serve for the most part, but she was still as lazy as a slug (as most teens are). She's more jiggly than fat though and so I began to encourage her to lift weights with me, and explaining why it would benefit her. She has been seeing my results and so she decided to give it a try with me. She's been at it with me for a solid month now (a lifetime in teen years) and has gone from barely being able to do a set of 5 squats with just her own body weight to doing 5 sets of 5 with 60 pounds on her shoulders! I am so proud, but more importantly, SHE is proud of herself! She is seeing that she can do things that she didn't think she could do... at 17 years old... not 39! :heart:

She has thanked me two times now after workouts that I had to kind of nag her to do. I figure I'll only have to occasionally nag her until she starts seeing a difference in herself and that will be enough motivation for her on the days she'd rather be a slug. :bigsmile:

If you made it this far, thanks for reading! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• EHisCDN
    EHisCDN Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    That is such a great NSV! You really put your money where your mouth was and actually put the work in too - you're being a great role model for you daughter :)
  • uscooleys
    uscooleys Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Congrats! That is a NSV to celebrate. My college age daughter went through a similar thing with me. She started running to do a Mother's Day 10k with me and has stuck with it. Now she is going to the gym regularly. And we are planning on running several 5ks and the Mother's Day run with me again. To keep her motivated, I buy her cute workout clothes (and she talks me into wearing more than baggy shirts and shorts).
  • donnat238
    donnat238 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Awesome! What a great role model! :bigsmile:
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    She has thanked me two times now after workouts that I had to kind of nag her to do

That's your NSV, right there !

raising-teenager-ecard.jpg
  • laurelthistle
    laurelthistle Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    That is awesome!!!! I'm hoping that my decision to get healthier will trickle down to my daughter, too. She's only 3, but I want to instill in her healthy habits that will prevent her from ever having the issues with weight and unhealthy lifestyle that I have had.
  • GummyHuman
    GummyHuman Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! :flowerforyou:
  • GummyHuman
    GummyHuman Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    She has thanked me two times now after workouts that I had to kind of nag her to do

That's your NSV, right there !

raising-teenager-ecard.jpg

Haha! How true.
  • mrsroseblack
    mrsroseblack Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Now that's the way to be a good example! It's never too late to reinvent yourself or help someone else. :)
  • bkjk997
    bkjk997 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Such a wonderful story! You're an incredible role model - proving that you can change your habits at any age. She will carry that with her for a lifetime. Congratulations to you both. I love these stories.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!