Serving size of peanutbutter?

Options
I know that a serving of peanutbutter is about 1 tablesoon... but does it have to be exact? meaning does it havel to be a "level" tablespoon of peanutbutter. Also is Homebrand a good type to use? I was doing some reading on here and apparently there are some peanutbutters that are bad for you!

Replies

• JudibugDesigns
    JudibugDesigns Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    if it's not a level tablespoon, it's not a tablespoon's worth of peanutbutter or calories...
    I weigh my peanut butter as it's a high calorie item and why bother logging if it's not going to be accurate...
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I weigh it. A tablespoon is about 15g or 15ml.

But it doesn't really matter... just be consistent in the way you measure it. If you level it off this time, level it off every time.
  • KatherinesRiver
    Options
    Peanut butter, Cashew butter, Almond butter.....all very high calorie stuff and dangerous if you don't measure it accurately. 190 calories per 2 level tablespoons. Yes, I recommend measuring accurately if you are really serious about losing weight. I love the stuff. I made high protein health bars this morning and I measured everything, added it up. This is the only way for me! :flowerforyou:

I buy only the natural nut butters and look for the ones without added sugar and low sodium.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    A serving is 2 tbsp, or 32g, I suggest weighing it for sure
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I weigh it, although I've gotten damn good at eyeballing what one tablespoon looks like from doing that. I'm usually only off by a gram.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Definitely weigh the peanut butter, i can scoop a lot of peanut butter in a spoon :) But one serving is 32g
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    A serving is not what I can fit in my mouth without choking??!!
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I weigh it - I don't use a whole tablespoon most time so weighing it is more accurate for me - I just tare the scale with the knife on it and put as much PB as I entend to use on the knife (it usually ends up being about 8 - 10 g)
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    A serving is not what I can fit in my mouth without choking??!!

:laugh:
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Weight it.

Put the jar on the scale. Zero the scale. Scoop until you've reduced the weight by the amount of grams in your serving (2 tablespoons is usually around 32 grams).
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    You gotta weigh it!
    Or even better eat it pre weighed in a peanut butter cup :)
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Some servings are 2 tbl but yes, they must be level. Not a scoop.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    aa serving size of peanut butter is whatever i can balance on a knife.
  • sevencallmemom
    sevencallmemom Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    You mean to tell me those jars aren't single servings?! Lol
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    The healthiest, most natural peanut butters only have one ingredient: peanuts. If you like it and you're not concerned about sodium, I suggest a peanut butter with only peanuts and a bit of salt. Truthfully, the only unhealthy peanut butters are those with hydrogenated oils, which are trans fats, so if you stick to natural varieties with other oils, it should be a pretty healthy treat. Even peanut butters with added sugars are generally not too high in sugar or calories, but I find peanut butter sweet and satisfying enough on its own.