New to Insanity

Options
Hello my name is Denise and I have had the insanity DVDs for a while now. Anyway I did try to start it and I was so winded after just a few seconds, that I decided to get in a little better shape before trying again. So I am there now I am ready to do it this time!! I just need advice on how to get through this, I really want this I just am not sure what to do if I can't keep up. I can and do walk every day 5 miles 2 of those in sand at a brisk pace, so I feel like I am ready. I hate to get beat down by a dang workout, I didn't realize how out of shape I became. Any advice will be appreciated and needed :sad: thanks Denise P.S. I will complete this and take before and after and share them. I am excited to see what happens

Replies

• rjlkat
    rjlkat Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Denise, you rock just because you're determined to do it! Mind over matter :smile:

I just finished my Recovery week and will start Month 2 in two days. As many people who have stuck with Insanity will tell you, there are a few guidelines to go by:

1 - LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! I cannot express this enough. Sure, everyone on the video keep going and going and do it all at a pretty healthy pace, but they're the "pros," so to speak, and even they take breaks. So listen to your body and slow down as you need to do, take breaks as needed. Just push yourself to do as well as you can, as much as you can. The only competition there is you against yourself.

2 - Take Breaks As Needed - just a reiteration of the above. If you have a HRM, watch it and break as you need in order to get your heart rate to a safe level. If you don't have one, see above.

3 - Modify moves as you need to do so. If something hurts, switch to another, similar move (if you can) to do while the current technique is still going. Just keep moving.

4 - Stick with it. Find ways to motivate yourself.

Again, you do NOT need to keep up with the video - not in speed, number of reps, time without breaks, height of jumps/kicks, et cetera. If you keep at it and always push yourself (safely) just a little more each time, you will improve.

Good luck!
  • scoutli
    scoutli Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Exactly what pp^^^ said. I've been doing Insanity for 18 months and STILL have to take extra breaks. I am at my post baby goal weight (130 at 5' 7") and have been fit my whole life. You just do the best you can each time and you will improve. Make it part of your day, like going to work, or eating breakfast. Good luck and kick a**!!
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I would just like to add, make sure you are eating enough. You're going to need to eat to fuel the work load you are about to start. Not likely you will be able to do Insanity on a 1200 calorie diet. I have yet to hear anyone say they were able to.
  • scoutli
    scoutli Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Agree, I eat an extra 300-400 calories on days I work out. And don't get discouraged if you are downright exhausted after the long workouts in month 2. That's normal! You will love your body and stamina if you stick with it.
  • Bsp120167
    Bsp120167 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I did Insanity before and it WORKS! Of course after I did it I relaxed and gained back a bunch. Just doing my first week now and hoping to make some big improvements soon.
  • WontShareChocolate
    Options
    Denise, you rock just because you're determined to do it! Mind over matter :smile:

I just finished my Recovery week and will start Month 2 in two days. As many people who have stuck with Insanity will tell you, there are a few guidelines to go by:

1 - LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! I cannot express this enough. Sure, everyone on the video keep going and going and do it all at a pretty healthy pace, but they're the "pros," so to speak, and even they take breaks. So listen to your body and slow down as you need to do, take breaks as needed. Just push yourself to do as well as you can, as much as you can. The only competition there is you against yourself.

2 - Take Breaks As Needed - just a reiteration of the above. If you have a HRM, watch it and break as you need in order to get your heart rate to a safe level. If you don't have one, see above.

3 - Modify moves as you need to do so. If something hurts, switch to another, similar move (if you can) to do while the current technique is still going. Just keep moving.

4 - Stick with it. Find ways to motivate yourself.

Again, you do NOT need to keep up with the video - not in speed, number of reps, time without breaks, height of jumps/kicks, et cetera. If you keep at it and always push yourself (safely) just a little more each time, you will improve.

Good luck!

As someone who has completed Insanity twice this is all the advice you will need, if your still having trouble try the 30 day shred then once you have finished that go into Insanity.
  • rjlkat
    rjlkat Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Excellent points on the eating enough. If you read through the booklet with the program, it advises eating according to the Harris-Benedict formula, with a 500 calorie deficit if you want to drop weight. Calorie numbers from the formula - even with the deficit - are usually higher than most people who are dieting eat. And just like everyone else has said here, you won't get very far on this if you don't eat enough. This is a tough, energy-burning program, but definitely a beneficial challenge.