Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Trying to get rid of my diabetes

Hello. I'm Kim. I am looking for friends to keep me motivated and also fellow diabetics who can share recipes and what not. I am trying to get into shape so I can get rid of my diabetes. I am also on anti depressants that I would like to stop taking. Any success stories with any of these issues? Thanks!!!!!!! :)

Replies

• PrairieRunner2015
    PrairieRunner2015 Posts: 126 Member
    Friend request sent
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    You can do it!! My DH and I went low carb and after one year, he's no longer diabetic. He lost 50 lbs, too. We keep carbs around 20% (at the most), so it's not like we feel deprived or anything. Lots of veggies. We saw great results just by cutting out most sweets and processed carbs.
  • SheilAnneSmith
    SheilAnneSmith Posts: 202 Member
    I went from 302 lbs with an A1C of 11.6% (Feb 2012) and I am now 174 lbs with my last A1C being 4.5%. (July 2013)

I can't really tell you any specific details of what I did. Moderated carbs to keep blood sugars low, I never had to test at home. Was on Metformin for the first 100 pounds I lost to keep my blood sugars low, then dropped my A1C from 5.2% to 4.5% once I got off of it.

Glad I had a good doctor that when I said I am ready to get off the medication, she was supportive and willing.

Best wishes for your journey and don't let anyone tell you that you can't beat diabetes! Kick it's A**!!
  • Wow! Thanks guys! I wasn't expected so many replies within minutes. I love this website. I am currently on metformin. My sister in law was on it too and she was just told she no longer had to take it (she's lost 65 lbs.) so this is my short term goal. I don't eat a whole lot of processed foods. I eat mainly organic and do not eat beef. So, we will see how it goes :) Thank you guys again!
  • Bebubble
    Bebubble Posts: 938 Member
    I have been able to get off my anti depressants and lower my a1c. Its not where I want it YET! Currently it is 6.0 But I plan on it getting better. You will always be a diabetic. Just you will be considered a controlled diabetic. You will always have to watch your carb intake once you have great control. Like the poster chani8 above said. It can be done so do not give up your goal.

There are many web sites to help you and a few here at MFP. ADA is a great place to ask diabetic questions.
  • MuseofSong
    MuseofSong Posts: 322 Member
    I went from 302 lbs with an A1C of 11.6% (Feb 2012) and I am now 174 lbs with my last A1C being 4.5%. (July 2013)

I can't really tell you any specific details of what I did. Moderated carbs to keep blood sugars low, I never had to test at home. Was on Metformin for the first 100 pounds I lost to keep my blood sugars low, then dropped my A1C from 5.2% to 4.5% once I got off of it.

Glad I had a good doctor that when I said I am ready to get off the medication, she was supportive and willing.

Best wishes for your journey and don't let anyone tell you that you can't beat diabetes! Kick it's A**!!

You're amazing!
  • I'm currently diabetic i take metformin and glimperide as well as blood pressure pills. This is why I'm losing weight and shaping up to be a ''controlled'' diabetic.
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    You got this, I went from 375 with an A1C of 10% to 219 with a 4.5% in a year. FR Sent