I feel so discouraged.

Options
Hey guys, I've been using MFP for about 4 months. I've lost 30 pounds and at the beginning I felt wonderful, but now I have hit a stand still. I haven't lost any weight in 3 weeks, but I haven't gained any either.
Here's a little bit about me:
I'm 20 years old and am currently suffering from chronic neurological Lyme disease. I've been in treatment since May of last year. With all of the medications I'm on I've been gaining weight and retaining tons of fluid. I decided that I need to try and change my lifestyle so that I didn't have the medications and my eating habits going against me. The first 18 pounds lost was strictly from eating better and following my calorie limit, and then I started to go swimming at our local YMCA. I can't do a lot of cardio or anything thats a lot of impact on my joints. Since then I've been able to lose 30 pounds in total. I've had an extremely stressful last 3 weeks and have been really sick from the treatment. I haven't lost any weight these past 3 weeks and it's really discouraging me. I haven't been able to swim as much and I have been going over on my calories a few times a week. I'm finding it hard to get back into the swing of things. I could really use some encouragement. I was doing so well at the beginning and feel like I'm losing all of my progress. I really want to change my lifestyle, but with the stress and the Lyme treatment these past few weeks I've been struggling. I don't know, I guess I keep repeating myself but sometimes it's good to vent I guess.
Any words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• ekd23
    ekd23 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    You can do this! I know it's hard to stay on track with an illness that makes you feel like crap most of the time. (I have fibromyalgia) I will send you a friend request. :) Please don't be discouraged.
  • divajoni
    divajoni Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    hi there-- i lost 30lbs and have been stuck since NOV! I know exactly how you feel: frustrated and hard to keep motivated... but i decided to change my attitude: i figured a 30lb loss for me represents a 15% reduction in body weight, so my body probably thinks i am in some sort of famine... and with winter coming up, it wasn't going to let me lose a gram!

So, i have decided to give my body a break, and eat close maintenance level for awhile (about 250 cal deficit) until MAR. I walk 20K steps a day (around 9 miles) and do HIIT classes 3x weekly.

I also decided to focus on strength training during this time, and eventhough i haven't lost a pound since NOV!! (did i mention that before ;-p), every day people comment on how good i am looking! (so nice to hear... especially when i haven't lost a pound since NOV!! oops... i did it again!).

My body shape has definitely changed and i look so much better in my clothes... and most exciting of all... my cellulite is visibly reduced... i just noticed that a couple of weeks ago

so as hard as it is... don't give up... just keep exercising and eating sensibly... and be patient. I have every confidence that you will see results no matter what the scale says.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Hang in there! It sounds like right now you are taking really good care of yourself around your disease. 30 pounds is wonderful, by the way. If you're not gaining any weight right now, then continue doing what you are doing.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    If you've lost weight you need to change your MFP settings to reflect the new weight.

Go to Goals and enter your new weight and recalculate.

It will change your calories - lower (sorry). I bet your weight loss will restart.

You have done AWESOME! Yeah, as you lose more weight, your weight loss slows. It gets harder. But you have done amazingly well.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    If you've lost weight you need to change your MFP settings to reflect the new weight.

Go to Goals and enter your new weight and recalculate.

It will change your calories - lower (sorry). I bet your weight loss will restart.

You have done AWESOME! Yeah, as you lose more weight, your weight loss slows. It gets harder. But you have done amazingly well.

This!
  • breasyd2
    Options
    I know how you feel. I spent 5 years eating 1200 calories a day, no sugar, no bad carbs, exercising like crazy (weights and cardio) and could never lose an ounce because of PCOS, hypothyroid and endometriosis. I finally starting losing weight in August, thank goodness. Those were the worst 5 years of my life, though. I got through it by concentrating on my health instead of my weight. Exercising and eating right are so much more important to us than just losing weight. Try to concentrate on the good things you are doing for your body. If you weren't being healthy, I bet your symptoms would be even worse. You will start losing again when you get your Lyme disease worked out. Until then, think about the fact that you in a much better place now than you were before you started and don't backslide. I know it is incredibly frustrating, but like my doctor said to me, "Don't allow yourself to be a victim of your disease." You WILL do this!