Food and depression

Options
I'm reading a book titled Grain Brain. It discusses gluten sensitivity affecting our brain not just our stomach. I'm looking for others who have helped their depression and anxiety through diet. Tips for what works. :)

Replies

• Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Well, cutting out grains didn't do a dang thing for my depression and anxiety over the years. I did have to do an elimination diet and saw no difference.

I DO find that eating well in general helps. I can tell that my mood can be connected to what and when I eat. I also find that I feel better eating the "real" version of foods instead of the more "processed" versions (quotations due to not knowing better words to use atm). As in, butter instead of margarine, 2% milk instead of skim or almond milks, real maple syrup over whatever you would call the other stuff... things like that. Also, making my own food instead of eating out has me feeling better most likely because I know the quality of the food I am getting and exactly what is in it. I also feel better with a high fat, moderate/high protein, restricted carb/sugar (but NOT "low" carb) type of diet.

However, that is my body. What has worked for me may not help you.

And, to be totally honest, this last bout of depression and anxiety did not get better until I started meds. I had handled it find with diet and getting enough sleep, but my life went into a tailspin over the last year and I needed additional help in the form of counseling and medications.
  • 1aliciawade
    1aliciawade Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the advice! I am sorry about the tailspin in your life. I hope all is better now. :)
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Symptoms of mild or situational depression can be improved through lifestyle changes, such as better nutrition and increase in exercise. However, any book that states carbs are destroying your brain and whole grains are the cause of dementia, ADHD, and depression is a load of crap.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Symptoms of mild or situational depression can be improved through lifestyle changes, such as better nutrition and increase in exercise. However, any book that states carbs are destroying your brain and whole grains are the cause of dementia, ADHD, and depression is a load of crap.
    This. Carbs, including grains, are actually a vital component in the creation and regulation of serotonin, which regulates positive moods. This is why low carb diets are linked to depression.
  • cshouston81
    Options
    Exercise releases chemicals in the brain like seratonin (most antidepressants are selective seratonin reuptake inhibitors) and endorphins which can improve mood. If you have a serious chemical imbalance in your brain though, I doubt cutting gluten will make a single bit of difference.

I do disagree with the last poster though in a way. Carbs don't destroy the brain or cause dementia, but cognitive disorders have been found to result for insulin resistance in the brain cells. This causes the cells to starve, atrophy, and die because they cannot access glucose in the bloodstream anymore. This has been documented by researchers at Johns Hopkins and they've coined the term "Type 3 Diabetes" for these issues. Eating a low carb diet and switching your metabolism into a ketogenic state will cause the cells to derive fuel from ketone bodies instead of glucose and can ease the symptoms of these disorders. So, no, carbs don't kill your brain, but cutting carbs can help nourish it for people with Alzheimer's or dementia.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    This. Carbs, including grains, are actually a vital component in the creation and regulation of serotonin, which regulates positive moods. This is why low carb diets are linked to depression.
    Yup. Lowering carbs does not help me manage depression at all. I do think that nutrition is important, and for me that means getting enough fats, carbs, enough energy in general, and not being deficient in vitamins/minerals.
  • Shonjikari
    Options
    Also if you have chronic major depression with a chemical imbalance, diet and exercise alone will not make it go away. It can help, yes, but diet and exercise won't make all the symptoms go away. This is especially true during bad bouts of depression when you don't even have the physical energy to get out of bed and change your clothes or brush your hair, never mind cook a healthy meal and work out!

That said, mild and situational depression as someone else said can be helped through diet and exercise changes. But if you're going through something more serious and frequent than the average Joe, you will need to seek improvement through other means. (that's not saying don't make healthy lifestyle changes though!)
  • cshouston81
    Options

Who linked them to depression? Is there really evidence for this? I used to suffer from depression, but I have been off medications for a year now and once I started exercising and eating a ketogenic (low carb) diet, I have felt happier than I have in a long time. I've never heard of low carbs making someone depressed.
  • JesterMFP
    Options
    Also if you have chronic major depression with a chemical imbalance, diet and exercise alone will not make it go away. It can help, yes, but diet and exercise won't make all the symptoms go away. This is especially true during bad bouts of depression when you don't even have the physical energy to get out of bed and change your clothes or brush your hair, never mind cook a healthy meal and work out!

That said, mild and situational depression as someone else said can be helped through diet and exercise changes. But if you're going through something more serious and frequent than the average Joe, you will need to seek improvement through other means. (that's not saying don't make healthy lifestyle changes though!)
    Yes, all of that too. :smile:
  • kshiraakshara
    kshiraakshara Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Foods that are bad for depression: refined sugars, artificial sweeteners, caffeine, alcohol. I personally have never had problems with refined sugars, but my depression and anxiety go off the charts if I drink too much Coke Zero. The aspartame and caffeine hit me hard.

Foods that are good for depression are things that are high in Vitamin C, Vitamin E, beta-carotene, or tyrosine: apricots, broccoli, cantaloupe, carrots, peaches, spinach, blueberries, broccoli, grapefruit, kiwi, oranges, potatoes, strawberries, tomatoes, nuts and seeds, pretty much any lean protein.

Carbs help create serotonin, so it's very important to keep them in your diet. If you have issues with gluten, try tomatoes, yogurt, berries, or bananas.
  • seleniumbaby
    Options
    Haha don't listen to those anti-grain people. I mean, I'm obviously biased (a baker who happens to have severe clinical depression), but there is simply not enough evidence to support such drastic claims as made by Grain Brain and similar books. There is anecdotal evidence and then there is rigorous scientific evidence. Don't eliminate food groups because of a book or a group of fringe pseudoscientists. It will not cure depression (much as I wish it would).
  • seleniumbaby
    Options
    And foods that are good and bad for depression? Shut up. I mean, just shut up. If only my impeccable diet could make me happy again. I basically subsist on vegetables yet I am still overweight and depressed. </rant>
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    ANY amount of gluten triggers depression and anxiety for me, usually showing up 2 days after I consume gluten by accident. Lowering my "carbs" would have no affect on either, it has to be completely out of my diet. Wheat & Gluten have a serious neurological effect on my system that includes focus, cognitive ability, vision, balance and more. I also had stomach issues that caused me to discover my gluten intolerance in the first place. It was only after trying some bread after a few weeks of being gluten free that I even noticed the correlation with mood. Cutting grains is only going to cure depression or anxiety if they are in fact the problem for you. Best I can say is try it for a few weeks and see if it makes a difference.

EDIT: I think Gluten Ataxia might be the term you are looking for, its one way that wheat affects the brain but not the rest of the body.
  • jennahbooboo
    Options
    True. I've had clinical depression since the age of about 11 and though eating better and exercising regularly does help my mood for a short period of time, it doesn't have long lasting effects.

Cheers to the people who have cured their mental disorders through these sorts of things, though.
  • bigbyrdie
    bigbyrdie Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Snake oil also cures depression. Don't believe everything you hear or read. All the preservatives, chemicals, and GMOs contained in mass produced food are doing more damage than grains or gluten. Depression is an illness to be treated by professionals. Don't rely on snake oil salesman to cure what ails you.
  • Doc_V
    Doc_V Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Breads make me feel gooky and sluggish, but I don't think it has anything to do with the gluten. Gluten insensitivities are way overhyped, I think. Starchy foods in general, in excess, will make me feel like crap. That said, every once in a while I get really low on carbs and a sandwich will perk me right up. Everything in moderation. I find that really low fat and really low sugar is what makes me depressed. Glucose is the only food the brain knows how to use, so you do need at least a little bit of it.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Who linked them to depression? Is there really evidence for this? I used to suffer from depression, but I have been off medications for a year now and once I started exercising and eating a ketogenic (low carb) diet, I have felt happier than I have in a long time. I've never heard of low carbs making someone depressed.
    http://archinte.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=1108558

Low carb was linked with higher depression, anger, hostility, confusion, and lethargy.
  • 1aliciawade
    Options
    First-to snake oil guy- that was funny!!

Everyone - thank you for your opinions and advice. It is confusing because one so called expert says one thing and another says the opposite. I know for sure sugar and caffeine contribute to my depression so I am eliminating those. I don't have severe depression so I want to try changes in my diet. I appreciate the feedback :)
  • 1aliciawade
    Options
    I mean sugars such as sweets and white breads.
  • JesterMFP
    Options
    There is a lot of conflicting info out there and ultimately, you have to find what works for you.