Bananas and weight gain/loss?

Options
Why do some people say bananas are fattening or bad for weight loss? I know there is 12g of sugar in 100g making it high sugar.

Will having 2 bananas a day effect weight loss speed due to the sugar and potassium content?

I like this delicious fruit and can eat it daily. Especially like banana ice cream consisting of frozen banana blended in the food processor... Gets rid of sugar cravings as well.

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,024 Member
    Options
    I don't think 2 bananas a day would be too hard to fit into your calorie allowance.

I eat about 4 a week.
  • kiittenforever
    kiittenforever Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    100g is 89cal good fit I'm just concerned about sugar levels or carbs
  • Rosieannaxo
    Options
    Do you need to watch your sugar levels for your health? I'm on the 80/10/10 lifestyle and I eat 6-8 ripe bananas a day or more if it fits into my calorie allotment. Still loosing weight the same!
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Weight loss comes from eating a calorie deficit. Carbs/sugar, fats, protein can all cause you to gain weight if you eat more than you burn, even if they come from "healthy foods". If you eat two bananas a day and you're still in a deficit, you will lose.
  • hazelovesfood
    hazelovesfood Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I eat one every day and im losing weight, there a fabulous source or everything your brain needs. There is no way im going without..:smile:
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I eat a banana every. single. day. See ticker below. :bigsmile:
  • kiittenforever
    Options
    Awesome! :)
  • PDarrall
    PDarrall Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with a banana in your diet. Just don't eat a bunch a day.
  • bigbyrdie
    bigbyrdie Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Bananas are only about 100 calories of good carbs, help satisfy that sweet tooth, and satisfy hunger with good fiber. The potassium content is also good for replacing those lost electrolytes during workouts. Fructose (fruit sugar) is not a bad thing. It just adds up to a lot of calories with some fruits if you don't keep an accurate count. Eating any kind of fruit is a much better alternative to what you might eat if you didn't have that fruit sugar to satisfy your sugar craving. 200 calories of bananas is better than 200 calories of cookies. Personally, I eat 6-8 bananas a week.
  • Doc_V
    Doc_V Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I was eating a banana or two a day, and for some reason even with calorie counting I wasn't losing quickly. Switched to berries (blueberries, blackberries, strawberries) and it helped me get over the hump. If you're losing with eating them- go for it! If not, maybe a substitution is in order. I still like them as an occasional treat, but they make my blood sugar go haywire.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I like bananas too much. I eat them way too quickly. I wish I could do one or two per day and ignore the rest - I'd be in heaven! Thankfully I won't touch the stuff unless it's so ripe it's almost gone bad , so I wait till they have those manager specials to get rid of produce and get like 10 bananas for 49 cents :laugh:
  • FFfitgirl
    FFfitgirl Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    The only bad things about bananas is that they are delicious with peanut butter and those calories add up very fast!
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I eat a banana with breakfast almost every day.
  • kiittenforever
    Options
    The only bad things about bananas is that they are delicious with peanut butter and those calories add up very fast!

Sooooo good!! :love: :love:

bananans.jpg
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Not sure. I've heard they can cause blood sugar issues if you eat them when they're really ripe. I like my bananas mostly light green when I eat them
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options

Sooooo good!! :love: :love:

bananans.jpg

Oh my goodness. Put those on waffles...nice warm fresh from the toaster kind...and I'm butter! Peanut butter bahaha ♡
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I eat on average 2 a day as you can see it's had a significant effect on my weightloss
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    I eat on average 2 a day as you can see it's had a significant effect on my weightloss

My hats off to you! Congratz on your loss!! Bananas seem to work magic and things ;)
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I, too, LOVE bananas. Sometimes I eat 2 in a day. It has no (ill) effect on my weight loss whatsoever.
  • kmclamb13
    kmclamb13 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Its good to know i'm not the only one that loves bananas.I eat two a day and have lost 70lbs. before joining here. i would feel deprived without them.