Is Biggest Loser for Wii worth it?

Options
I've tried EA Sports Active and Wii Fit and gotten bored of both pretty quickly. Saw The Biggest Loser game on sale today for $25. My question is a) is the workouts and structure of the game worth getting? b) is it different enough from Sports Active and Wii fit that it will keep me interested in it?

I've been puttering along with skating two/three times a week plus walking my dogs almost every day but it would be nice to have an indoor exercise option as well.

Replies

• Tennessee2019
    Tennessee2019 Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    A lot of people might disagree with me, bu I was NOT impressed with the Will BL game. I think that Wii puts out many other fitness ones that are better.
  • StacySkinny
    StacySkinny Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Great question. That's something I've been wanting to know too. After about 5 months of Wii Fit I'm bored to tears with it. I can't afford a gym membership so I too have been thinking of getting TBL for Wii.

I'm also going to nab the "Just Dance" game once the price on it drops a little. It's still WAY too high for me. It's bond to drop in price sooner or later though. lol
  • wishfulpantry
    Options
    lol, that might explain why it was only $25.

would you rate EA sports active as a better workout (if you've tried it). My main gripe with that was I didn't like having that strap on my leg all the time and the resistance band was annoying.
  • zippydeedo
    zippydeedo Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the BL games but the new one Jillian has put out might be worth looking into.
    And Stacy, my friend bought the Just Dance one a couple days ago and it is a lot of fun! I never played the others, but this one has words you can see on screen too to sing to. Only thing I don't like is that it seems like there would be more songs for that price. Btw, what is the 12 pounds of Christmas challenge?

Angi
  • randyv99
    randyv99 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    lol, that might explain why it was only $25.

would you rate EA sports active as a better workout (if you've tried it). My main gripe with that was I didn't like having that strap on my leg all the time and the resistance band was annoying.

I actually like the EA sports active 2 more than the Wii Fit plus since it dosn't really require the balance board and you can customize whatever it is that you want to do AND has a heart rate monitor for more accurate calorie tracking. I have not yet had a day where I wasn't soaking wet from a 30 minute EA Active 2 workout. I haven't tried the biggest loser game yet but it seems to me that that is no better than any other workout video you can get. (But I'm probably biased). I use free weights instead of the resistance band so that might be something you can try. But seriously if you're easily bored you might just try going to your local library and mixing it up with different workout DVDs.
  • IAB2010
    Options
    If you have a wii and you have Netflix you can also get the Netflix channel for your wii and stream workout videos available on Netflix to your tv via the wii. If you don't have Netflix membership they offer a 1 month trial and they now have a streaming only subscription that is only 7.95 a month.
  • StacySkinny
    Options
    I don't know about the BL games but the new one Jillian has put out might be worth looking into.
    And Stacy, my friend bought the Just Dance one a couple days ago and it is a lot of fun! I never played the others, but this one has words you can see on screen too to sing to. Only thing I don't like is that it seems like there would be more songs for that price. Btw, what is the 12 pounds of Christmas challenge?

Angi

Sweet! Yeah, I'm totally going to score JUST DANCE when the price drops. :D
    The 12 Pounds of Christmas Challenge is here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/136370--h20-12-pounds-of-christmas-challenge-week-4?hl=12+pounds+of+christmas&page=1#posts-1855774

I totally recommend it - the group of women doing it are simply amazing! They are so inspiring and encouraging. I totally recommend joining! :D
  • tierra85
    tierra85 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    You should get an xbox kinect :)
  • Bobble2610
    Options
    The Jillian Michaels game isn't very good... Not responsive at all... We bought it and then traded it a few days later cos it wasn't anywhere NEAR accurate enough to help you work out....
    EA Active is good... and I hear Active 2 is even better still - I kinda want that for my christmas...

Just Dance however - is the best for me.. It's fun, and it feels more like a game than a workout. :o)
  • wishfulpantry
    Options
    Just Dance is sounding better and better, although I'm not sure I've seen it in Australia yet!
  • LilynEdensmom
    LilynEdensmom Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Just dance is so much fun, i rented it the other day :)...and I was sweating buckets.
    Would really like to get a kincet but I don't have an 360 so all together that is defiantly not in my budget.

I haven't tried the other games, I mostly leave the game playing to the kids, but I got hooked on the glee karaoke and my oldest wanted tot try just dance so yep that goes on our to buy list.
  • StacySkinny
    Options
    Just Dance is sounding better and better, although I'm not sure I've seen it in Australia yet!

You can score it on eBay - that is where I'm keeping an eye on it at. You can often find lightly used games on there for a fraction of the store prices. :)
  • rdennis1990
    rdennis1990 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Just a note for those using the Wii for weight loss and fitness. I purchased "DDR" and play it regularly. It was a weight loss selection and keeps track of calories burned. Its easy and fun to play. See the arrow, step on the arrow. Plus it's got the bonus of music and dancing for those who are not quite as talented in that department like me. I usually just set the timer for 30 minutes and put the difficulty on hard. That way there are more arrows to try to hit.
  • Manda1987
    Options
    I found that TBL was a great workout, but way too hard with the excess weight I'm carrying. It also doesn't register calories burned very well. I would do a 45 minute workout, heart bursting out of my chest and sweating up a storm, only to find that I've burned a measly 60 calories. It's because they only register calories burned for perfectly executed exercises. I did like the way they varied the workouts, and the recipe book and daily challenges were neat.
  • wishfulpantry
    Options
    well I ended up getting the Biggest Loser Wii (half price, who can resist?) and after my first hour on the game I love it! I did some training on the lightest setting and I burned 303 cal for about an hour (used heart rate monitor to measure calories not the game).

I will definitely be using it as my indoor workout
  • StacySkinny
    Options
    well I ended up getting the Biggest Loser Wii (half price, who can resist?) and after my first hour on the game I love it! I did some training on the lightest setting and I burned 303 cal for about an hour (used heart rate monitor to measure calories not the game).

I will definitely be using it as my indoor workout

That sounds great~! I'm so glad you found a workout you enjoy doing! That's key right there! :D
  • Niveous
    Niveous Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    EA Active 2, Just Dance, and Just Dance 2 are among my favorites for working out on the Wii. I use free weights instead of the resistance band for EA Active 2 though. The Biggest Loser game wasn't really my favorite, and I didn't enjoy the game design, but if it's something you like and works for you - then that's perfect. :)
  • wishfulpantry
    Options
    yeah i have a major girl crush on Jillian :D