New to seriously working out and tracking nutrition

Options
Hey Everyone,
Jillian here from Indianapolis. My goal is to lose 20 pounds and keep it off. I'm honestly a little overwhelmed with all of the available information, apps, and programs. Any tips for a newby?

Replies

• Vol7
    Vol7 Posts: 57
    Options
    Take advantage of the support, log everything, look for a group to join. Watch the changes happen.
  • sarahenagy
    sarahenagy Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I was new to all this when I started a few years ago too! What I've learned:

Measure/weigh EVERYTHING and actually look at and figure portion sizes (I was eating WAY more than I thought I was)
    Log EVERYTHING that goes into your mouth (it's easy for little nibbles that you don't think matter to add up)
    Eat your fruits and veggies - seriously, I found I had so much more energy when I started replacing packaged foods with fresh ones
    Drink lots of water
    Don't weigh yourself everyday - it drove me nuts when I was doing this, I go with once a week now
    Don't stress - loosing weight is hard, you will have bad days, you will have good days (sometimes several in a row and then the scale won't budge), when you're new at it, this process takes some trial and error. Don't let little failures get you down, keep at it and be proud that you've made a commitment to better health.
    Don't stop exercising and eating well when you reach your goal weight. This is a life-long marathon of being healthy, not just a sprint to loose the 20 lbs.