What is too much?

Options
I am 5'7 249 - down 19lbs yay me! But I have worked my way up to 4 miles a day. I am now dropping down to 2 miles and adding Jillian Michaels 30 day shred plus my 2 pilates classes a week. Is this all ok. I dont want to over do it and I love my pilates

Replies

• WatermelonSupreme
    Options
    As long as you feel comfortable with it; if you feel like you're gonna pass out then stop (obviously) but if it feels good and is good for you too, just do it. Congrats on the weight loss, wish I could lose that much too. Good luck XD
  • TheNewJessieMae
    Options
    As long as you are eating, and not working through injuries. I think you are doing an amazing job. I mean comparitively
    look at the farmers/indians/cavemen back in the day who didn't have desk jobs and were moving NON stop. Do what you feel comfortable with but also-LISTEN VERY CLOSELY TO YOUR BODY!!!
  • hewhoiscd
    hewhoiscd Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Do you have a heart rate monitor? One thing I have been doing is monitoring my heart rate a few times a week when I wake up in the morning (before I get out of bed). If it is staying the same, or even going lower, then I feel like I'm probably not pushing it too far. If it starts creeping up over a few days time, then that may be an indicator that I am over training, or getting sick. Works for me anyway :)
  • hckygrl
    Options
    First off ......congrats on our success thus far. 2nd....I would consider the following......you are taking on a few different "styles" of weight loss. 1 instructor led, 1 self guided and another via dvd(?). I would advise you do not start all 3 at the same time. Continue doing the 4 miles a day, since this has been working for you, why mess with success?? Besides, you worked hard to get to 4 miles and going backwards could give your mind a reason to not push forward the next time. If it is a time constraint you have to consider, try breaking up the 4 miles in 2 sessions a day (2 miles each). Taking the pilates class will be HIGHLY challenging and will put any dvd/book by a fitness trainer to shame. Don't get me wrong...I love Jillian Micheals on the Biggest Loser....but her workouts don't always translate into effective weight loss.

So my suggestion...keep doing what you are doing, add the pilates class, forget about the Jillian Micheals Shred thing.
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    Too much is when you get to the point where you are dreading working out or running, feel guilty when you don't, and you fear that you can't keep it up for long and it makes you depressed or unhappy.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    IMO it is over doing it when you dread it, when you feel exhausted more than you feel energiezed, and when you start to catch more colds etc than usual. I don't think you are overdoing it even if you stay with the 4 miles and add 30 DS but I am a nutty runner so maybe I am not the best person to ask...LOL.

I say if you feel good and your body feels good then keep at it.
  • mamastuck
    Options
    Yes I am currently doing the 4 miles and Pilates I just wanted to add a little twist and boost myself I like the challenge :)
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I just added the 30-day shred to my routine too. But I added it to what I already do (60 mins cardio a day, 5-6 days a week - either elliptical, jogging, aerobics or some combination of them). I've been at this for 10 months now and my fitness level has improved to the point where I don't think doing 20 mins less of my usual 60 min and adding the shred will keep me losing what I have been. I am adding the 30-day because of the strength work (which is all but 6 minutes of it anyway). I need to add more strength training at this point, and the video is a good way for me to get started with that. I'm still doing level one of the shred but only because a couple of the strength moves are really tough and I wanted to get a little stronger at them before moving on. Even at level 3, I really don't think it's going to give me the same results weight loss-wise as what I get with my 60 mins cardio. Just my 2 cents!!

In my opinion, you need to make a judgment call based on how well the 30-day shred replaces the 2 miles you would be giving up. If you get a comparable replacement for the 2 miles, then give it a shot! If not, I would suggest trying to add it to what you are doing instead of replacing part of it and let it be some additional strength work with the added bonus of some cardio blasts!!