Protein Shakes & Vitamins

Options
Hey all just a few questions.

I want to start using protein shakes, low cal high protein. So far I have found the ON Gold Standard 100% whey as the best option for me. Any other suggestions or opinions?

Also any recipe suggestions would be great too for the protein shakes!

As far as vitamins - what would be the best choice? Are any of the vitamin packs GNC has any good? Or would a multivitamin be better? And as far as fish oil - which I do not know much about.. how much is the daily goal for that? and which would be the best product?

Any other advice or suggestions on either of these is appreciated as I have not used any of this before and what to be well educated on my choices and decisions.

Thanks everyone =)

Replies

• Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I use Sequel Vega - Sport Performance Protein Powder. It is entirely plant based and all natural.
    Calories 110 Sodium 140 mg
    Total Fat 1 g Potassium 0 mg
    Saturated 0 g Total Carbs 5 g
    Polyunsaturated 0 g Dietary Fiber 2 g
    Monounsaturated 0 g Sugars 2 g
    Trans 0 g Protein 20 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg
    Vitamin A 15% Calcium 4%
    Vitamin C 4% Iron 60%

I also use 1 scoop daily (which is 1/2 serving), Vega - Complete Whole Food Health Optimizer for my vitamins.
    Calories 120 Sodium 0 mg
    Total Fat 3 g Potassium 750 mg
    Saturated 1 g Total Carbs 11 g
    Polyunsaturated 2 g Dietary Fiber 8 g
    Monounsaturated 1 g Sugars 1 g
    Trans 0 g Protein 13 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg
    Vitamin A 50% Calcium 55%
    Vitamin C 50% Iron 50%

I blend these both with 1 banana, 1 cup frozen strawberries, & 8 oz. almond milk to make a shake. I would also like to mention that because of my kidney stones, I have to eat reduced amounts of protein, only 15% of my calories. So I am extremely careful with my daily protein. Because I am eating vegan, I find the daily shake really helps with my calcium, vitamin D, & Iron.
  • karisamh
    karisamh Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    First......why do you want to go to the protein shake???? You may want to consider a well balanced diet with the right protein and good fiber will fill you up and you will get the proper amt. of protein. To much protein may result in weight gain! Not enough fiber and you may end up more hungry than before. Just check it our throughly......your program should have fairly accurate suggestions on percentages of protein, fat, and carbs. stick to that and you will be good.
  • lordofultima
    Options
    ^better going over on protein than carbs, if you're talking about macronutrient ratios and all that. Calorie surplus is ultimately what makes you gain fat weight...not protein.

Whey protein is my main source of protein, because I don't cook nothing and prefer to eat real boring, because it's simple that way. Just look for the leanest protein powder you can, almost no carbs, low sugar and no artificial flavors or sweeteners.

Fish oil is just fat, it just contains a high amount of essential fatty acids (omega 3&6). So the question is not how much fish oil you can take in a day, but how much fat you can take in a day. The more omega 3 the better, healthy fats will help with fat metabolism believe it or not.
  • JLeeAlton
    Options
    Looking into the Protein shakes for after my workouts. To help with my muscles. Protein won't make me gain weight as long as I am within my calorie range. I am doing 40/20/40 for my carbs fat and protein.

@lord - thanks, I didn't even think of the fat involved with that. I will have to check into that more.
  • FIREfitGrl27
    Options
    We use whey protein and it helps me get my protein for the day. It definitely helps with muscle recovery. I agree with the posts that suggest finding a low calorie, low carb, no artifical stuff. I like Show Me The Whey...available in chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry. I also like Super Advanced Whey by Body Fortress. Just shop around and see which one you like the best.
    As for recipes to do shakes...adding a fruit(s) is the key. I like adding banana to any protein shake I make because of the sweetness....if I'm using a different fruit like blueberry, strawberry, etc...I might use truvia for taste. I use soy milk or skim milk....you can try adding a splash of cinnamon or vanilla. I like to add nuts. I say play around with the recipes. I didn't have a good recipe to start with, but when I use to get smoothies from the Smoothie King regularly..I observed what they added and I tried to incorporate some of those things myself.
    Good luck with your protein increase!
  • JLeeAlton
    Options
    Thanks! I know they whey protein I was looking at did not have alot of artificial stuff.. at least from what I have read. If I am wrong someone let me know!
  • JLeeAlton
    Options
    Anymore thoughts before I head out to pick some stuff up?
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Anymore thoughts before I head out to pick some stuff up?
    Personally I am a big fan of 100% Whey. I add my Skippy Natural PB and a banana or strawberries with simple syrup. I like the simple syrup because the fructose accentuates the protein and the creatine.
  • PuppyBandit
    Options
    I like Unjury Protein Powders. I like the Strawberry and the Unflavored. I mix the unflavored with orange juice or diet V8 Splash. I mix the strawberry with 1 c skim milk and 1 container strawberry yogurt, makes a filling shake.

Every morning I have my homemade mocha cafe protein drink. I'm not a breakfast person, so this helps put some nutrition in my body early in the morning... if I wanted to have more protein in it, I would substitute the carnation instant breakfast with Unjury Chocolate.

1 pkg no sugar added carnation instant breakfast
    1 cup skim milk
    1 cup coffee
    a few splenda packets (optional)'
    Shake it up, freeze for about 15 minutes then I drink it on the way to work.

Unjury sells online, I've never seen it in stores, but they do have a sample pack you can purchase.
  • shawnnshinta
    shawnnshinta Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    don't waste your money!
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    don't waste your money!
    Constructive. Care to expand on that?

How about I go then you go.

A Univ of Toronto study found that consuming whey before a meal decreased food intake and reduced post-meal blood sugar and insulin release. They fed 10 to 40 grams of whey protein 30 minutes before an all-you-can-eat pizza lunch.
    The effects of whey depended on intake - the more whey protein, the less food they ate. American Journal Clinical Nutrition, 91: 966-75, 2010
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I think that, in general, people are too quick to jump into the idea of protein shakes, vitamins, etc, without understanding how they work (or don't work) and how relevant they are to an individual's situation. I think it is often an extension of the "magic bullet" way of thinking that seems to be an ingrained part of our culture. Again, I am talking in general, not trying to critique anyone's personal choices. In most cases, eating too much protein, while not necessary, is not that harmful-- is mostly dangerous to your wallet (and maybe self esteem from being bamboozled by supplement companies).

There is a difference between carefully controlled research studies--which do provide valuable insight--and real life. Real life introduces many uncontrolled variables as well as the powerful influences of both auto suggestion and the placebo effect.

The fact is that someone just starting out, or someone still in the "improvement" phase (which can last a number of months or even years), will get more benefit (by multiple factors) from just following a consistent and effective workout routine that all the effects of protein, protein shakes, supplements, meal-timing, etc COMBINED. Too often, the "standards" for protein recommendations come from elite athletes for whom 0.5%-2% increases in size or performance can have a significant benefit. For the average person it means absolutely squat.

Protein has several demonstrated benefits as part of a weight loss program: increased satiety, modest increase in energy used for digestion, and conservation of lean mass. That's pretty much it--protein does not "build muscle", nor does it "prevent weight gain". Protein is what I consider a "threshold" nutrient--meaning once you have enough, consuming more provides no additional benefit.

I think it's pretty easy to get all the protein I need in regular food as part of my regular diet. I also find that by paying attention to my protein sources, I have also improved the overall nutritional value of my diet as well (in terms of increased fiber, decreased intake of simple sugars, etc).

That's my choice and, again, I don't feel the need to criticize or hector those who prefer to take protein supplements. However, based on my experience in this field, I can pretty much guarantee that 90% of the people who use this stuff don't need it, and that's the answer I am going to give to anyone who asks the question.
  • musclebuilder
    musclebuilder Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    While I agree that supplement companies pour insane amounts of marketing hype in to things like protein powders. They do have benefits. I don't agree that all of them will put you out of money. The protein powder I use gives me a serving of protein at not even 50 cents per. Compare that to a whole food source and it tends to compare favorably. Some of them also give you a large serving of protein at lower calories then a whole food source would so you can meet protein requirements and spare some calories.. They are also liquid which makes them convenient. They tend to taste good..Obviously you don't "need" them nor are they what most supplement companies make them out to be. I use them for the reasons above. Not to mention in order to build muscle in combination with weight training I need to consume high amounts of calories which from whole foods only is not always easy.. And at the same time I don't use them when consuming low calories because they don't satisfy me like a whole food and that is a big factor.