Heart monitor, is it worth it?

Options
I was thinking about getting a heart monitor for valentines day. I was looking at the polar ft 7. My question is it worth it? I have fitbit flex and love it. But it's only for motivation and step count, i need something to motivate my actual work out not step count.

I have tried to use the heart monitor on the gym machines but I am not sure just how accurate they are. Sometimes my high heart rate is 200. Which is scary if it's right, I lost my weight but trying to maintain and build muscle. I am wondering if it will help me know what heart rate range I am in and if it will be more accurate than the gym machine. If you have one tell me why you like it and what you use it for. Thanks.

Replies

• kiwitechgirl
    kiwitechgirl Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be without mine. Not only does it track my heart rate but at the end of a workout gives me time spent working out, average and maximum heart rates,and calories burned. I have a Polar FT4 which is the most basic model with the calorie count function. Just don't use it to calculate cals burned in strength training - it's only accurate for cardio. I also like being able to look at my max heart rate and track fitness improvements over time as that drops.
  • 5000thAngel
    5000thAngel Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I would be lost without my heart rate monitor. I use a cheap one (60Beat blue) but it actually works really well, except that the app it comes with is crap. I use a different app (Wahoo) in combination with my heart rate monitor and it tells me my current heart rate, my average heart rate, and calories burned. Calories burned are only accurate for cardio exercises though, just beware. If your heart rate is spiking up to 200, getting a monitor is a good idea. I have a murmur and my heart rate does sometimes spike into the 200s and the monitor is the only way I know I have to slow down because I "feel fine". Definitely get a monitor.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,427 Member
    Options
    Anther polar F4 fan here. I can't workout without mine! And I do use the calories burned during strength training but I also don't eat back every one of my exercise calories to allow for errors in counting.
  • einsteins2013
    einsteins2013 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I use the Wahoo Blue HR monitor and love it. I also like the Wahoo App. I like using a HR monitor when I am doing cardio because I can glance over and be sure that I am staying in my target burn area. It is easy to get distracted when doing long cardio workouts and it helps keep me on track
  • DownsizingAaron
    DownsizingAaron Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I think the HRM does a lot to help - you can verify you are working out at the right power, track calories burned, use for HIIT, and log your activity long term. I'd really look into a smart Bluetooth HRM and then use apps on your phone - not only is the solution often cheaper, it provides more options since there are so many apps that can use it.
  • Livingdeadnurse
    Livingdeadnurse Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I think the HRM does a lot to help - you can verify you are working out at the right power, track calories burned, use for HIIT, and log your activity long term. I'd really look into a smart Bluetooth HRM and then use apps on your phone - not only is the solution often cheaper, it provides more options since there are so many apps that can use it.

does it use a chest strap? because i read that they were more accurate.
  • einsteins2013
    einsteins2013 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    The Wahoo blue is a chest strap
  • Guineagirl913
    Guineagirl913 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I love my Polar. It really motivates me to push myself further watching the calories burned.
  • spg71
    spg71 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Try a polar loop, replaces the fitbit for motivation and you can use a chest strap for the gym and everything else.

(check which strap though, needs to be bluetooth smart)
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be without mine. Not only does it track my heart rate but at the end of a workout gives me time spent working out, average and maximum heart rates,and calories burned. I have a Polar FT4 which is the most basic model with the calorie count function. Just don't use it to calculate cals burned in strength training - it's only accurate for cardio. I also like being able to look at my max heart rate and track fitness improvements over time as that drops.

but maximum hr isn't an indicator of fitness :-). You need to be looking at your power or speed over a few minutes at your lactic threshold (or anabolic threshold) or hold a fixed pace and see how your HR changes over a few minutes or compare your hr at a particular speed one month with your hr at the same speed a couple of months later all of which will allow you to see your fitness improve :-)

>>>Edit

It is worth getting "total Heart Rate Training" by Joe Friels who for a few dollars will show you what HRM can really do :-)
  • Livingdeadnurse
    Options

does it use a chest strap? because i read that they were more accurate.

*not a comment about the HR monitors*

That background photo on your progress gave me a mini heart attack. lol.

did not mean to scare you...lol
    i love zombies. Even tease people I am training for the zombie apocalypse...
  • Livingdeadnurse
    Options
    thanks everyone. I decided to get a polar ft 7 for valentines day. I want to improve my over all fitness. I will still use my fitbit to compete with friends and motivate me to get up and moving. And use the polar while training. Thanks for all the help
  • Skarlet13
    Skarlet13 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Do HRMs measure NET burned calories or GROSS burned calories? I would really like to get one if it is measuring net burn.

In case you don't know what I'm talking about....

http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/how-many-calories-are-you-really-burning?page=single
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Just a heads up, HRMs are pretty cool for steady rate cardio. But using it for anything else, even HIIT, will end up giving you exaggerated numbers.

Here's some reading on HRMs. I have a Polar FT7 I use for the elliptical and running, but that's it. I won't use it for strength training, HIIT or Yoga.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1044313-this-is-why-hrms-have-limited-use-for-tracking-calories

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472