Anyone else using a working treadmill?

Options
I have setup my treadmill so that I can walk and work/study. Is anyone else out in MFP land doing that? I'm pretty new on here and I'd love to have some MFP friends who are doing that too.

Christine

Replies

• pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I don't have a treadmill but I do have my laptop set up on the breakfast bench so I can walk in place while being on here. I'm up at 6am till about 10pm...most of the time when I am not at work I am usually on the laptop...or doing housework.
  • WALKSMARATHONS
    Options
    I jog on the spot while watching movies. My heart rate from this is the same as walking 3.5 mph. I am a real movie fanatic and some days am able to log a marathon. Between 7 and 8 hours of this gives a marathon. Sitting is the most destructive thing we do to ourselves, especially if it is in a car.:smile:
  • Chellerose74
    Options
    I just started and have a long road ahead but I am using my treadmill as my main exercise at this time. I am very overweight so I am hoping that I can eventually do other things and looking forward to being able to do more on the treadmill.
  • Tight_Pants_On
    Options
    treadmill-accident-o.gif
  • WALKSMARATHONS
    Options
    Congratulations for getting started on your journey. Remember that the food you eat is much more important than exercise. Most obese people do not eat enough food; they eat substances which are not food and they are actually suffering from malnutrition. Never restrict your food; eat as much as you can stuff into yourself; just be very careful to make sure what you are eating is really food.
  • Tight_Pants_On
    Options
    Congratulations for getting started on your journey. Remember that the food you eat is much more important than exercise. Most obese people do not eat enough food; they eat substances which are not food and they are actually suffering from malnutrition. Never restrict your food; eat as much as you can stuff into yourself; just be very careful to make sure what you are eating is really food.

t7R2kqB.gif
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options

t7R2kqB.gif

Best gif for that ever.

I got to say it though. What? Yep food is more important... less of it not stuffing yourself silly. Wow how on earth do you think people got obese in the 1st place? By sitting in a car? No it's called over-eating. Eating more than you burn off....and that is exactly what you just told every single person to do.

Great advice there..... can I stuff myself now & go back to being obese?
  • tis_i
    tis_i Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Wow, Bill, now that some moving!
  • tis_i
    Options
    One thing I like about the treadmill is that its private. I really don't like going to a gym. As outgoing as I am, generally, I feel like a fish out of water in a gym. Setting up my treadmill with a 'desk' and monitor on the wall that I can hook to my laptop helps me get going though.

Christine
  • tomaspetro
    tomaspetro Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Yes, I'm using a treadmill and , so far, I'm not suffering from "I hate this machine" like I did with my nordic track skier many years ago. So far, I'm just watching the tube while I walk and, I don't know why but it's easier for me to do a mile on the TM as opposed to a real track.. Just thinking, maybe billbrytan had a point about some real foods. After all, I doubt if anybody could get fat stuffing themselves with 200 brussel sprouts which would be just 1600 calories
  • Tight_Pants_On
    Options
    Yes, I'm using a treadmill and , so far, I'm not suffering from "I hate this machine" like I did with my nordic track skier many years ago. So far, I'm just watching the tube while I walk and, I don't know why but it's easier for me to do a mile on the TM as opposed to a real track.. Just thinking, maybe billbrytan had a point about some real foods. After all, I doubt if anybody could get fat stuffing themselves with 200 brussel sprouts which would be just 1600 calories

Who eats 200 brussel sprouts?:wink:

I get the advice of eating real foods but not the "eat as much as you can stuff into yourself". Too much of a good thing is not always a good thing...
  • Tight_Pants_On
    Options
    One thing I like about the treadmill is that its private. I really don't like going to a gym. As outgoing as I am, generally, I feel like a fish out of water in a gym. Setting up my treadmill with a 'desk' and monitor on the wall that I can hook to my laptop helps me get going though.

Christine

Some gyms offer a beginner trainer to help you feel comfortable. You will have your serious body builders that may intimidate but I have found many that are willing to help as long as you are willing to listen. Resistance training is not a scary thing. :smile:
  • jjoh553028
    jjoh553028 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Just got my treadmill set up last Sunday. Started at 2 mph and working up to 3 mph. I am 58 and have over 100 lbs to loose. I absolutely love mine. That being said about 2 days ago I started having problems with right ankle only. It does not hurt to touch just very tender to walk on. And what is weird it doesnt hurt all the time. But when it does it is very painful. After about 1 minute the pain goes mostly away when I am on the treadmill. So I am not sure whether to keep going or let it rest?
  • Tight_Pants_On
    Options
    Just to be clear: I'm not attacking Bill but 5,000 empty calories and 5,000 "real food" calories is still 5,000 calories. Plus if it worked that way wouldn't Bill be at his goal weight?
  • tis_i
    Options
    I got the impression that Bill was just joking about eating so many brussel spouts :)

jjoh553028, I'm starting slowly and only walk at a speed that I can do and have a conversation (mostly). I walk a long time sometimes (60-100 minutes) but I start very slow (1.3/mph) and work up to only about 2.3-2.6mph. Yesterday, I moved the slider that increases/decreases the 'bounce' on the treadmill so that it wouldn't be so hard on my hip. For some reason, my right hip started hurting, so I made that adjustment. If I didn't have that slider built-in, I might get some really hard foam (maybe pieces of a pink foam insulation remnant I can get at Home Depot) or sponges and put one under each foot of the treadmill so it had some 'give' when walking on it.

They say that speed isn't the critical thing so I don't worry about that. I'm going to start checking my heart rate this coming week. I'm not in that great shape so it doesn't take too much to bring my heart rate up right now. I found a heart rate calculator online to show me what my low and high range for exercise should be and I'll use it to guide my exertion and see where I fall now that I've gotten a little more used to it.