Cardio in Hot Weather

So I'm trying to lose weight and increase my fitness in Australia but I'm struggling with with getting my cardio done in the hot weather. It's 35-40 celcius most days here at the moment I find it too hot to exercise for long without starting to feel sick. Do you burn more calories in hot weather? Should I cut down on hot days? Any advice would help.

Replies

• m0radell
    m0radell Posts: 26 Member
    Being in Thailand, I'm having the exact same problem. I can hardly even walk a kilo without the sweat running down my back, so doing cardio is torture. On really, really hot days, I usually only do half my usual workout, and do some swimming afterwards. If you find something that works, I'd be glad to hear it :)
  • kwyze
    kwyze Posts: 21 Member
    I know how you feel as I'm in Australia too - 41 degrees today!
    I tend not to exercise during the extreme heat (unless I decide to go swimming).
    If you really feel the need to exercise maybe a gym if its air-conditioned. Keep up the fluids if you do decide to do anything as heat will really get you!
    When in the middle of the heat waves I prefer to maintain my diet and wait until the cool change hits before getting back into my exercise routine. In summer I like to get in exercise early in the mornings when it is still cool. I try to do something before work (around 5:30am) and is quite nice out running or hitting the gym at this time.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,404 Member
    I wish I could say it is too hot where I am at. Perhaps doing more in-door workouts? Swimming would be a wonderful idea outside!
  • PatheticNoetic
    PatheticNoetic Posts: 905 Member
    I"m in FNQ and I get my work outs done between 6:30 - 8:00am. It's not as hot as elsewhere but it's hot enough and still and humid.
    Try getting out early or late in the day?
    What about swimming?
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Exercise early in the morning or late evening to avoid the bulk of the heat make sure you drink enough
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    jump in the pool and go?
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    As above. If not possible, just take frequent breaks and hydrate with cool drinks.

And contrary to what people who sell saunas will tell you, no it doesn't make you lose weight ;)
  • SimoneBee12
    SimoneBee12 Posts: 268 Member
    I'm in NSW, luckily it hasn't been horrible hot at the moment, but it's still too hot to be outside, I work nights, so I can't exercise in the morning or late afternoon because I'm at work, so I have to either run on the days when it's overcast/raining, and on the hot days, my only choice is to ride my exercise bike inside with the aircon on. It's been frustrating, but there isn't much I can do unless I join a gym.

Let's pray autumn arrives quickly!
  • PatheticNoetic
    PatheticNoetic Posts: 905 Member
    I'm ready for winter.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    wake up early when it's a little cooler out, and do it then.
  • RachyD21
    RachyD21 Posts: 83 Member
    I spend half the year in the Caribbean, and while it's not 40oC it does get up to 33 most days. I do Insanity while I'm there and cardio doesn't get much more brutal that that!!

I try to wake up at 5am-5.30am when it's cooler and get my workout in before 7am (I need a coffee first lol). Starting is the hardest part, you feel like your lungs are on fire and I feel like I can't push myself. You get used to it surprisingly fast though, and as long as you keep it up then I find within a week I'm back on form. You just have to grit your teeth and push through that first 7 days when you feel like you want to die every time (I'm not selling this am I? lol). It's worth it in the end!

Make sure you have a towel to hand and drink plenty afterwards. To start with I find I can't drink too much during the workout as it makes me nauseous. Everyone is different though. Good luck!
  • Updownstrange
    Updownstrange Posts: 4 Member
    Thanks guys! It's nice to see that I'm not alone in finding this difficult. I'll give the early mornings a shot (although I'm not sure how I'll cope being up at 5) and maybe investigate how much it costs to use the pool. I think it might be necessary as on a hot week my apartment just builds up the heat and mornings aren't much cooler any more.
    Thanks again for the suggestions!
  • gem192
    gem192 Posts: 39 Member
    I'm also in Australia trying to cope with this hot weather...

How I cope with it is to do a workout indoors and CRANK the air con, and try to keep it short.

For people saying work out early morning/late in the evening when it's "cooler" - Australia is a strange land. Here in Melbourne at least, the hottest time of day is 4pm-6pm, and it doesn't really cool down at night, a couple of degrees at most. Night is actually worse than during the day because it gets stupidly humid.