I ate way more than I should have today

Options
I ate more today than I have in 6 years. I had 3500 calories today. ( been very depressed, was hungry so I ate) will I gain a pound from one day of over eating?

Replies

• Henri989
    Options
    It's one day, don't beat yourself up. Just start again tomorrow.
  • prima073
    prima073 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    No. You have to take into account the number of calories your body needs to just function and take that away from the 3500. It doesn't matter anyhow, just pick yourself up and start again! :-)
  • red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    No. You would need to eat 3500 calories OVER maintenance to gain 1lb. Don't sweat it.
  • WhisperAnne
    Options
    Maintenance is 1640 calories. So 3500 PLUS 1640?
  • jeskuhsmeekers
    jeskuhsmeekers Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    no 3500- 1640= 1860 over your maintenance don't worry too much about it.. start over again tomorrow
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Technically possibly about half a pound of BF. Just limit yourself to 1000 calorie for two days or Four days at 1200 calories and mathematically you're back where you started. Don't sweat it. Just don't do it once a week and you will be fine.
  • wshultz14
    wshultz14 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Me too... However, MFP, projects I am still loosing weight. I was out with friends tonight.. I'll make some of the extra calories up tomorrow somehow.
  • WhisperAnne
    Options
    Technically possibly about half a pound of BF. Just limit yourself to 1000 calorie for two days or Four days at 1200 calories and mathematically you're back where you started. Don't sweat it. Just don't do it once a week and you will be fine.

Thank you, I think I'll do 1200 for the next few days.This is a wake up call for me to get myself back on track.
  • Naomibunluv123
    Naomibunluv123 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Don't worry, if anyone's has a problem, I do. Yesterday I went to Chinese buffet and WAYYYYYYYYYYY overdid it, like I can say without a doubt that that that is the most food that I have ever eaten in a day in my life. to give you an idea, my computer screen only shows about half of the list of food I ate, and ate an estimate of 5781 calories, ALL SUGAR. now for some this may not sound all that bad, but for the short 5'3" girl I am, use to eating only 1200cals a day, this is an incredible feat. Decided I would make up for it today by exercising and eating less, well that was working great until I unknowingly ate 1600cals of BACON!!! I usually eat 200g's of meat lunch and dinner, which usually is around 300cals, so when I ate 200g's of bacon I didn't think of it. 1600cals in 5 mins :( ended up eating 2369cls today which is about twice my goal, and at which in 5 weeks I would gain 5.2 pounds If that's what I ate ever day. If I ate what I ate yesterday everyday I would gain 39.3 pounds in 5 weeks. YIKES!! But I'm really upset about the bacon, it might of has the same mass of a decent piece of chicken. :( But this is extremely rare for me. yesterday was the first honest, no-restriction cheat day that I have had since I started my diet, and today was just an honest mistake. But I'm going to just move on and keep going on tomorrow, but at least I've learned a valuable lesson, never again bacon. :)
  • WhisperAnne
    Options
    Today has been a wake up call. Yeah sure, eating like a pig was fun for the moment but the guilt I'm feeling is not fun. Being depressed is not fun, and my relationship with food is unhealthy. I am going to kick start again tomorrow and lose this 1 pound or .5 of a pound I put on. Maybe I didn't put on any weight but I almost need to think I did to keep myself motivated.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    One day of over indulgence will not even make a dent in the grand scheme of things. With exercise, it will soon be but a distant memory. It should only be a worry if it becomes a regular, daily thing. Stop focusing on the details and look at the big picture. It is unhealthy to be that obsessive that one naughty day has you fretting. You are meant to allow a little leeway in weight once in maintenance anyway, either side of your goal.
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    what everyone else is doing..I understand being shown, but overeating one time in six years shouldn't be one of them. it really is on even if there is a gain, you can knock it back off. yes it's ok.
  • Alexdur85
    Alexdur85 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    no 3500- 1640= 1860 over your maintenance don't worry too much about it.. start over again tomorrow

If eating 3500 calories causes 1 lb to be gained then she would need to eat 3500 ABOVE maintenance because maintenance is what she burns in a day. So it would be 3500 plus 1640 to gain an entire lb.. At least that's how I'm seeing it.
  • WhisperAnne
    Options

If eating 3500 calories causes 1 lb to be gained then she would need to eat 3500 ABOVE maintenance because maintenance is what she burns in a day. So it would be 3500 plus 1640 to gain an entire lb.. At least that's how I'm seeing it.

For a pound to be added I would need 5140 calories? that's a tiny bit of relief.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Technically possibly about half a pound of BF. Just limit yourself to 1000 calorie for two days or Four days at 1200 calories and mathematically you're back where you started.
    No. Not good advice.

Op, it is what it is. Just let it go and at normally, and drink lots of water too.

This too shall pass.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Today has been a wake up call. Yeah sure, eating like a pig was fun for the moment but the guilt I'm feeling is not fun. Being depressed is not fun, and my relationship with food is unhealthy. I am going to kick start again tomorrow and lose this 1 pound or .5 of a pound I put on. Maybe I didn't put on any weight but I almost need to think I did to keep myself motivated.
    It you are depressed and have an unhealthy relationship with food, you need to speak with a professional.

"Kick start" is an illusion. Just resume your good eating habits that have helped you maintain your weight and don't give it a second thought.
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I ate a TON today too. Just stupid mistakes. But like everyone is saying, not a huge deal. It's one day, and ultimately, you can't do TOO much damage in one day. I agree with (and plan to do) the suggestion someone else made. Just cut back for a day or two. It'll all even out. Not a big deal.
  • HannahAliHealth
    HannahAliHealth Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I ate more today than I have in 6 years. I had 3500 calories today. ( been very depressed, was hungry so I ate) will I gain a pound from one day of over eating?
    The good thing you know you cheated! And you wrote about it! That's mean you won't do it again! T feel better do an extra exercise. So your mind knows you've done extra work because of that! It will warn you next time! This is my strategy (:
  • be_me_671
    Options

I hope this doesn't come off as mean but I think you are worrying way too much. It seems that you've been able to maintain a weight that you like for how many years now. A gain of 0.5 or 1 lb (highly unlikely) is not the end of the world. Just think, tomorrow you get to start all over again. The important thing is to work out and eat healthy.
  • svelt123
    svelt123 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Relax, You will be fine. Just don't do it again, and again, and again, without out working out. You are human.
    What I think is great is that you are still in control. Yes, You are. Just take two or three days and cut back a little and maybe add
    a little weight lifting to your workout. Ask yourself about what is really bothering you. Maybe take a moment and write down possible solutions to what is bothering you. Then, one by one try to apply the solutions and hopefully you will have peace.
    Don't be so hard on yourself.

You are fine. :flowerforyou: