Expense of eating well

Options
I wish the good foods weren't so expensive. It's insane! No wonder so many people have weight issues. A lot of hard working people just cannot afford to buy the organic/healthy/pure foods because they cost so much more than the "junk" foods on the market.
I'm just annoyed my it.
I buy what I can and I'd love to buy more of the healthy things but it just isn't possible.
Who else is annoyed with the price tags in the grocery stores?

Replies

• eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    SUPER ANNOYED!! I live in the middle of the Canadian Prairies where it's cheeper to farm with pesticides than it is to do so organically. Fruit and veggies are often shipped in, along with everything else that I usually eat, and there just aren't a lot of ppl out here who want organic dairy products. A regular sized carton of organic yogurt is $7! & I go thru that in just one week! I also don't eat gluten and g.f. pastas are are about $2-3 more a package than the regular stuff :(
  • Peejay13
    Options
    I don't find that in Scotland to be honest! When I'm feeding myself and my family processed foods with treats my weekly shopping bill can be 50% more than when I make a shopping list, buy only what I need, make everything from scratch and snack on fruit. I don't buy organic admittedly but I buy what's in season from local suppliers to minimize the nasties used.
  • SkierElle
    Options
    Yes, and it is obnoxious that a lot of unhealthy things( hello corn syrup) are subsidized by the gov and therefore cheaper to produce and cheaper for us to buy. Also, they are what you see right when you walk in the store, because they are in the center!!

But you have to know that eating heatlhy now will pay off in the future. Ie. if you avoid a heart surgery by spending $20 extra on groceries in a month, then it is definitley worth it. If you don't get type 2 diabetes, then a few extra dollars for healthy food and time spent exercising is WAY worth it in the long run.

Also, when you buy healthy foods, make sure you are not buying anything pre-packaged. Look at the price per ounce of different brands of the same food and youll realize (like if you tear and wash your own lettuce) you can save a lot.
  • nursejennyk
    nursejennyk Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am! I have three kids and want to feed them well. Organic milk since birth but man is everything getting expensive. I used to buy organic apples last year because they say that apples are the most polluted and necessary to buy organic. Last years price was $1.49 lb which was pricey but the same produce market now sells them for $1.95. My family eats a lot of apples!
  • vkpmusic
    vkpmusic Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    At least in the US, the trick is to shop the sales. Whole Foods runs some great deals, so if you plan around those, it's cheaper. Publix will let you combine their sales with coupons. While I find that my grocery bill is higher, that is offset typically by not eating out as much, which my husband and I tend to do b.c it's just us and we work crazy hours. The one thing I haven't been able to afford is organic meat. It's just too high.
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options

Also, when you buy healthy foods, make sure you are not buying anything pre-packaged. Look at the price per ounce of different brands of the same food and youll realize (like if you tear and wash your own lettuce) you can save a lot.

I can't find organic heads of lettuce in the winter here :(

I too can't afford organic meat, so even tho chickens are usually treated really badly they have less chemicals in them than beef does-therefore I only buy chicken or turkey.
  • HidyleDidyle
    Options
    I don't buy organic veggies and fruit either...but when I buy the basics: veggies, fruit, meat and make my own things instead of any kind of packaged food, I find the bill a great deal less expensive. I can see though if a person is limited to organic, or something special like gluten free, the cost gets dramatically higher.
  • nursejennyk
    nursejennyk Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It does save money to tear and wash your own lettuce plus I dot totally trust that pre washed stuff anyway. Remember this ecoli outbreaks a few years back. I think it was pre washed spinach but they fiu d the washing process was flawed
    I buy bulk snack bags and just start filling them up when I get hone from store.
  • pamelasusan
    pamelasusan Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I buy fresh fruits and veggies but don't buy the organic. I just can't afford it and think that switching to fresh foods is a huge step up from the processed junk and sugary snacks.
  • Manda1987
    Options
    I find a lot of it is a rip-off. Organic canned chickpeas for $3.00? Come on...

Healthy food is inexpensive. I can buy a 1 kg bag of dried black beans or lentils for a couple of dollars, and that lasts us for ages. Fresh fruits and veggies are dirt cheap compared to cookies and meal-in-a-box.

It's the organic food that's expensive. Most of the time, you're not getting any health benefit from it, anyhow.
  • JulieBoBoo
    Options
    I get a bin of organic produce delivered once a week through Green Earth Organics. I pay $60 a week for a big Rubbermaid full and we never manage to finish off everything in a week which is fine since some of the items are fine long term (turnips, squash, yams, etc).
    I've found that I'm saving money eating less and having to make fewer trips to the grocery store. I do wish organic milk and meat were less expensive. They're just cost prohibitive to me now so I settle for the fruits and veggies.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I spend more on gorceries but less on eating out. I spend more on fruits and veggies and nuts but less on chips and crap. I don't buy organic very often and I wish I could . Organic is a very important concept to me but feeding 4 active kids is more important so the 5 gallons of milk they drink a week come from ALDI...I wish they were from an organic dairy but alas..not possible. We are also learning the fine art of how to prepare 3 pounds of chicken to use for 2 1/2 meals. We are learning how to plan meals around sales and the fine art of couponing...I am not very good at it yet but if I can find cereal coupons then woooo hooo watch out sister. The fact of the matter is that I don't prepare my foods 10% from scratch..never will as truly don't enjoy the kitchen but I find the most healthful foods I can within my budget...ALDI is my best friend as they have they fit n active brand so I can often still get whole grain pasta, brown rice etc. I do the best I can with my personal and financial limitations. Could I do more with $400 more a month to spend on groceries...you bet. Could I do better if I had a freaking dishwasher thus I would use a blender or food processor without the dread of washing it by hand..sure...do I feed my kids as many fruits and veggies I can and expose them to as many different kinds of food as I can...you bet I do
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    NO PROBLEM HERE! I spend about $125 a month on groceries for my husband and I and its all healthy chicken fruits and vegetables, whole wheat bread, brown rice and A LOT of diet Pepsi (his vice, not mine). No, I don't buy organic but I don't want to. How can using less chemicals on a product make the product cost more? It’s too much of a marketing ploy right now, a green-fad (albeit less pesticides will probably reduce your already 4/5 chance of getting cancer in your life time).
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I do OK on getting fruits / veggies because I don't buy organic and I get whatever's on sale. I also don't buy the leanest meat because it's so much more expensive - I get whatever is on manager's special. Ie, $2.99 - $3.99 for lean ground beef or ground turkey vs 99c for the not so good stuff. We don't get a lot of ground beef though or turkey, because of the price. Even whole wheat bread. I sometimes pay up to $2/loaf for it now, but that is even a stretch and there was a long time where all we could afford was the 77c store loaf. Some of the really good fruit that I love is out of the question - strawberries, blueberries. Once a year I can get them at Aldi when they are 99c. Nuts, WW tortillas, greek yogurt... that is all out of the question as well or in very very moderation.

When you look at being able to do Hamburger Helper and feed a family of 3 for about $2 that meal vs eating something healthier.... I can usually manage just a couple bucks per meal, but it's still not the best stuff - chicken, white rice, veggies. Not too bad, but not as good as I would eat if money was not such an issue.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I get a bin of organic produce delivered once a week through Green Earth Organics. I pay $60 a week for a big Rubbermaid full and

Two weeks of this would be my grocery bill for my family of 3 for the whole month!!

It also makes sense the people who say they spend more on groceries because they spend less on eating out - but when you already don't eat out, no fast food, (I suppose that is healthier right there already!), no cable, junk cars (ie no payments), heat set to 60 degrees, cheapest rent you can find, no anything that can be cut out - groceries are the next thing in line to be cut down to make ends meet!
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    That is the big thing...do the best you can...if you consciously make the best decisions and choices you can and the family watches you try to make the most nutritional choices within your budget they will still learn valuable lessons. Chicken and white rice and aldi cream of chicken soup with some frozen veggies might not be "as healthy" as organic free range chicken, organic brown rice and a low sodium low fat gravy...but it is pretty balanced, hearty and tasty...and like I said sometimes the lesson is the most important thing...doing the best you can within your limitations is a great lesson
  • chocolatnoir
    chocolatnoir Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Yep, it is super frustrating. Did you watch "Food, Inc"?
  • beethedreamer
    beethedreamer Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I understand that for the people that prefer to purchase organic as much as possible, the price of groceries is outrageous. Personally, I don't buy organic and my grocery bill is super cheap, especially since I cut out a lot of processed food and since I'm vegetarian I don't buy meat. farmers markets are a great place to buy produce if you have one around. many times the farms are organic and you can even go see the farm in many cases. local produce is WAY less expensive than fruits and veggies shipped into your grocery store from thousands of miles away. customers are the ones paying shipping costs..
  • Sparklewolfie
    Options
    I agree! I have been buying groceries and can easily spend about NT$1400-2000/wk or more! It would probably be cheaper to buy meals for NT$30-70 which would end up being NT$630-NT$1470, but it is really much healthier to make my own food... So really it is about finding the balance between health and spending. I can get 700cc of bubble tea for NT$25, but I REALLY don't need that much, so I can make it at home for a similar cost, though I only get maybe 300cc, it is healthier (just as an example)

Fresh fruit and veggies are worth the extra $$ in my opinion!
  • Caperfae
    Caperfae Posts: 433
    Options
    I will look into farmers markets to see what's available this time of year. I think there might be a weekend one that's outside so it may not be open right now. We'll see :)
    I prefer organic because I have pcos and the fewer chemicals in my food the better. Hard to accomplish since almost everything is packaged in plastics these days.