Chia seeds?

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
Where do you find them? I've looked in stores, can't even figure out what isle they would be in... I've looked everywhere. I know they're on sale on amazon, but how does the price compare?

Also... what do they taste like? I wouldn't mind using them to make oatmeal more filling. What do you use them in?

Replies

• DJMIKEY1
    DJMIKEY1 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    You can find them in any vitamin store and usually in the health food section of most grocery stores.

Really no taste, I put them in my oatmeal and home made protein bars and in my salads.
  • mmcdonald700
    mmcdonald700 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Just saw huuuge bags at costco, if you have a membership. Costco also sells protein powders (don't know about their quality I haven't looked at them closely or bought them), protein bars (which are hard to find boxes of.. usually only sold individually). I imagine they're kind of like poppy seeds. Pretty much just an added texture without much added taste.
  • loconnor466
    loconnor466 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    In my regular grocery store they are in the "baking isle" (flour, sugar, etc) there is a section of Bob's Red Mills grains and the chia seeds can be found there. They have no taste, but they do have calories, more than I thought for those little seeds. But they are supposed to give you energy too. I put them in my yogurt. They also "swell" and kind of turn "jellyish" when in contact with fluid for awhile. I've seen recipes where they are used to thicken. They are on the expensive side, a 16oz bag was like $8.99. But they are lasting awhile.
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    If you can, try to find the milled version of chia seeds.

They don't have much of a flavor from what I can tell. I mix it with yogurt. The seeds have a little crunch to them and I haven't had any issues of them getting stuck in my teeth :)
  • kiittenforever
    kiittenforever Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I got them at the Kardish health food store. Sprinkle a bit on my salad for a little extra crunch not much taste - quite similar to poppy seeds.
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    They usually have them at tj maxx too. Just in case you can't find then at a grocery store, that's somewhere else to check. I add them to my water with a little lime. Some people make "chia pudding" by mixing them with coconut milk or milk.
  • yogioats
    yogioats Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    My grocery store has it in the health food/organic section. If you can't find them in conventional grocery store, check one of your local health food stores.
  • russellvolk
    russellvolk Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I buy mine at Costco. It's the organic version $12 for a huge bag. I eat it almost every other day and it will probably last me a good few months. 3 tbs of chia seeds is 11g of fiber. How awesome is that. I put it in my whey protein shake and i love it. I get my chia seeds, whey protein and protein bars all at Costco. It just makes sense financially.
  • Mama2twocutekiddos
    Options
    Trader Joes!
  • SugarLou57
    SugarLou57 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    You can turn chocolate milk into pudding with chai seeds, use them to thicken soups and sauces.
    I buy mine in the supplement area of the local health food store
  • livcurious
    livcurious Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I buy mine in the organic section at Fred Meyer, but most grocery stores should carry them. Typically they're in the more organic/natural sections, and store staff don't always know where to find them without calling produce or health personnel. I love to add them to oatmeal, they help fill me up and don't add a strange taste.
  • hedwardsb
    hedwardsb Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I bought mine at Trader Joes. I can't remember which aisle.
    I add a tablespoon to my oatmeal, and they do give it a bit of a crunch.
  • jennahbooboo
    Options
    I got mine at Trader Joes!
  • ArchangelMJ
    ArchangelMJ Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I got some on sale at Walgreens about a week ago. Those biatches are expensive so I waited patiently until they were available for a reduced price, which seemed to take for EVER, lol.
  • HealthyishWithMaggieG
    Options
    I found them in the bulk foods section at our local Lucky's Market.