Optifast 800

Options
Is anyone else on the boards doing Optifast 800 shakes for weight loss? I've been doing it for a week now and I've lost 8 pounds so far! I am pumped, I feel so great! I don't even feel deprived or hungry when I drink these shakes.

Replies

• mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    8 pounds in a week sounds like water--sorry to rain on the parade. The shake thing is always attractive but it won't sustain you for a 114 pound loss goal. You need to be about eating normal food in portions that keep your net calories within your "budget" as calculated by MFP. Using a shake as a meal or a snack is fine if it works for you but you will get sick of them. I know, I've done them all. High fiber food is best (e.g. broccoli), you chew alot, it fills you up, it keeps things moving along and it's healthy. You are feeling the rush from that first, easy chunk of weight which is mostly fluid rebalancing. I'd work on keeping your net calories within budget by measuring/logging portions and increasing your exercise. Read the success stories from the folks losing over 100lbs, the stories are always the same. No gimmicks.
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Nope, I am doing the 500 -750 cal deficit and moving my big azzzzzzz more plan. As per my ticker, it is doing pretty well!!
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Lose weight quick products don't work.. stop taking it and eat normal and you will gain that weight back.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    This is not going to end well for you.
  • christygb
    christygb Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Is anyone else on the boards doing Optifast 800 shakes for weight loss? I've been doing it for a week now and I've lost 8 pounds so far! I am pumped, I feel so great! I don't even feel deprived or hungry when I drink these shakes.

That's a wonderful start! Way to go! I'm on Optifast 70 and am part of a comprehensive weight loss program that is doctor-supervised. For a year I'll be attending weekly group meetings, and when my health is regained by losing weight, I'll be brought back onto food slowly. We meet to discuss the emotional and behavioral causes of our personal overeating experience. You may not find lots of support here, but there are quite a few who are on this program. I am also blogging about the experience, and have listed a number of great blogs of women who are taking this journey. Optifast has proven to be a successful plan, and I'm a big believer that there is no right way to lose weight - just the right one for me. Keep up the good work! Christy optifastadventurer.blogspot.com
  • Christine_120
    Options
    This is not going to end well for you.

It didn't end well for "Oprah" on her liquid diet plan. Remember?? And she had a whole team helping her find her way back to real food.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, you lost some water and waste weight. What are you going to do when you get tired of paying for and consuming those high priced chemical concoctions? Other than put the weight back on? Maybe try the free plan, that is, eat a little less, move a little more, It's done wonders for most of us, and didn't cost a thing.

Rigger
  • ThriceBlessed
    ThriceBlessed Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I thought Optifast went out of style when Oprah lost a bunch on it and then gained it all back as soon as she started eating again... hmm... I guess I learned differently.
  • NorthernCalGal
    NorthernCalGal Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I started a week ago and have also lost about 8 lbs. My friend has been on the program since July and lost 150 lbs -- he has transitioned back to food and is doing great :) Do not listen to the naysayers -- if you take the program seriously and stick with it there is a ton of behavioral and educational training they give you so you can sustain the weight loss.
  • NorthernCalGal
    Options
    Not so sure what's strange about that -- since it's the program I'm currently using and it's working. I guess I could have posted in the past about all my failures trying to just count calories but I really wasn't in the mood. Down 9 lbs now so I'm thinking I'll keep posting :)
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    No.
  • NorthernCalGal
    Options
    I just finished 3 weeks and am down 13 lbs -- keep it up -- it does work if you stay with the program. My clinic has a 1 1/2 year program for weight loss and maintenance. I am committed to it just as I would be if I had cancer and needed chemo -- I consider it a medical emergency that I need to lose 100 lbs! Good luck to you :)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    news flash ..the shakes do not make you lose weight..the calorie deficit they create by replacing real food with a shake is what makes you lose…

you could accomplish the same by eating real food and being in a calorie deficit…..
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    news flash ..the shakes do not make you lose weight..the calorie deficit they create by replacing real food with a shake is what makes you lose…

you could accomplish the same by eating real food and being in a calorie deficit…..

^^^This^^^

And it would be free.

Rigger
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    What's optifast? Is it like some kind of shakeology pyramid selling scheme? Or more pregnant lady pee?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    I thought it was some kinda car race. I'm disappointment.:sad:
  • Realtor_Renee
    Realtor_Renee Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    At 35 years old and having personal issues since 5th grade, I agree with this so much. We will only believe what we want to believe, pills, Shakes, Cleanses, Shots, etc will work.... NOT . Yeah, maybe for a short time until you fall back into that comfortable rhythm again, BUT now I realized that eating right & exercising is the only way to go. Once we see the weight coming off it feels so good and we keep it up. BUT what really makes the difference is having a partner (husband for me) join you in your eating habits and exercising as well. We may not exercise together but we both make hints and comments pushing us to do so throughout the day. When I see him all sweaty I feel guilty and know I have to go out there and get my sweat on!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    So when you stop drinking them, the opposite effect will happen? Does that mean you'll be drinking them the rest of your life?

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm....you're eating only 800 calorie in these shakes? No other food?

That is considered a very low calorie diet, which MFP and many members do not condone, me included. It's just not healthy or sustainable for the long term.

Why not just eat less than you burn and lose weight slowly?
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    Options
    Terrible way to go. I've heard of Optifast but had to look it up to learn more about the diet. The nutritional info and ingredients from the Optifast website are below. Overall you take in only 800 calories and only 70 grams of protein per day with no fiber. You are certainly going to lose a lot of muscle mass from the low protein and inability to do cardio or lift weights. That's probably why so many regain when they go off the plan--not enough muscle mass to burn calories or support moderate physical activity. Please think about how you are going to come out of this when you are done and reconsider...

Nutritional Information (ADDED by SEG; per shake; 5 shakes per day)
    Calories 160
    Protein (g) 14
    Carbohydrate (g) 20
    Fat (g) 3
    Sodium (mg) 220
    Potassium (mg) 470
    Fiber (g) 0
    Vitamins & Minerals 10-30% of RDI
    Lactose (g) <1

Ingredients (French Vanilla): Water, Sugar, Sodium Caseinate (Milk), Calcium Caseinate, Corn Syrup Solids, High Oleic Sunflower Oil, Potassium Citrate, Calcium Phosphate Tribasic, Magnesium Chloride, Sodium Chloride, Natural and Artificial Flavors, Cellulose Gel, Carrageenan, Potassium Hydroxide, Mono and Diglycerides, Soy Lecithin, Ascorbic Acid, Cellulose Gum, Choline Chloride, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Alpha Tocopheryl Acetate, Niacinamide, Calcium Pantothenate, Copper Gluconate, Manganese Sulfate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamin Hydrochloride, Vitamin A Palmitate, Riboflavin, Chromium Chloride, Folic Acid, Biotin, Potassium Iodide, Sodium Molybdate, Sodium Selenite, Phytonadione (Vitamin K1), Cholecalciferol (Vitamin D3), Cyanocobalamin (Vitamin B12).