How to lose fat (and pounds) without losing lean body mass?

Options
Hi all,

Just looking for thoughts on the best way to lose weight without losing LBM. Perhaps this is something I shouldn't worry about at this point? I'm 5'6", 205 pounds, and exclusively breastfeeding a 6month old. I eat around 1600 cals a day (1200 from MFP plus 400 nursing) AND I eat back most of my exercise cals.

I am doing Ripped in 30 3x/week, I run ~3x/week, and ride an exercise bike at a moderate speed for an hour every day.

Thanks for any advice!

Replies

• navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Get a good amount of protein and make strength training a priority, that's pretty much the deal.

Rigger
  • jacquel13
    jacquel13 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    When you say strength training, do you mean my cute little 10lb. handweights and a JM video will do? Or do you mean something a lot more serious...
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    Get a good amount of protein and make strength training a priority, that's pretty much the deal.

Rigger
    In a nutshell, yup.
  • iwantniceabs
    iwantniceabs Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    protein

and lift heavy (learn proper form if you don't know it yet - it's worth it :)

good luck!!

*just saw this was baby number 6 - oh my word - that's awesome! Way to make time for exercise still!!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    protein

good luck!!
    This!
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    The best thing would be to get on a strength training program. SL 5x5 is effective and time efficient.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    When you say strength training, do you mean my cute little 10lb. handweights and a JM video will do? Or do you mean something a lot more serious...
    Muscle has to be challenged to stay strong and firm. In some cases the 10lbs weight might work (side laterals) but using it for squats...............not.
    Also, you'll lose some lean muscle (it's inevitable), but a good resistance program keeps it to a minimal. And yes, protein intake needs to be sufficient too.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Additionally, maintain a modest calorie deficit. More lean is lost when extreme calorie deficits are attempted. Keep your protein solid and resistance training... Does not have to be weights, per se... Body weight exercises can be helpful.
  • mrhonesty
    mrhonesty Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I don't have the answer but a great topic. Congrats on #6!!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I managed to only lose 3 lbs of muscle so far. I did some body weight strength training at first (Slim in 6, with some 3 lb weights for the arms, pretty much), then a lot of bodypump (it's when I lost those 3 lbs, actually), then moved to ChaLean Extreme and heavy weights. Now I just do 15-20 minutes of heavy weight lifting 3x a week (just using dumbbells, my heaviest are 45 lbs and I only use those for squats at this point). And I've switched my protein goal to 30%.
  • jacquel13
    jacquel13 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone, for your thoughts. I've always heard you can't build much muscle while deficiting cals, but of course in order to lose weight and fat, you must deficit cals. Blech -- since I have 50 lbs. to go, I will continue deficiting cals ( not too extreme!) and do more body weight strength training with my cardio. Perhaps a good plan will be to switch the ratio of cardio to weight training as I lose more body weight altogether.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options

This will get you pretty close to maintaining LBM. First 3-4 months last year, I did cardio and HIIT without really lifting heavier weights, the first 12-15 pounds was all fat. Go slow, be reasonable in your weight loss, and take in enough protein. Protein is needed for repair and maintenance of the muscles. Best of luck and congratulations on the birth of the baby. Be well.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    protein

good luck!!
    This!

Agree.

Good luck.????