Anyone successful with one excercise?

ancho84
ancho84 Posts: 40 Member
Has anyone been successful while doing one type of exercise only, or primarily? For example, sticking to an elliptical or a treadmill...

Replies

• ichigofruit
    ichigofruit Posts: 23 Member
    I lost about 35 lbs doing primarily elliptical. Mostly intervals for 20-35 minutes or high resistance for 40-60 minutes. However, I also did about half of Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred in there too.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,940 Member
    There are thousands of people who successfully lose weight with calorie deficit and exercise. The problem is maintaining both. What you should be asking yourself is "what one exercise will I do now and continue FOR LIFE?"

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    I lost most of 40 pounds by just walking and reducing my intake. That said, though, I enjoyed a lot of other things as the weight dropped... stair climbing, running, rowing, strength training (first machines and then free weights), and now martial arts. Why limit yourself? Moving is fun.
  • jamielise2
    jamielise2 Posts: 432 Member
    Kickboxing has been pretty effective for me as long as I give it my all. As an added bonus it keeps me from throttling my 5 year old.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    I've done several different cardio exercises but tend to gravitate back to the treadmill mostly. For the longest time, I would almost exclusively do the treadmill at 3.5-4.0 MPH at up to 15% grade... and was successful in losing over a hundred pounds that way. Most recently, I have used a much less extreme grade but run up to 2.5 miles at 5.0 to 5.2 mph. It has been good to mix it up a bit ... That being said, I focus more on strength training and have for the past couple of years really... I do a wide variety of exercises on that...
  • lucylousmummy
    lucylousmummy Posts: 348 Member
    the only exercise i do consistently is walking, on a good week i do approx 3 hours of walking, 5 days a week, this is unavoidable as it's the school run lol, but it is what i credit my weight loss too, although i have done other things over the years, but not consistently enough to have had any real lasting impact on me
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    If you mean "successful" at losing weight you can do that with a calorie deficit and no exercise at all. Exercise (cardio) is only going to help achieve a calorie deficit not cause weight loss in and of itself.

So to answer your question you can be very successful at weight loss with just one exercise, as long as a calorie deficit is present.
  • shazbox1
    shazbox1 Posts: 175 Member
    There are thousands of people who successfully lose weight with calorie deficit and exercise. The problem is maintaining both. What you should be asking yourself is "what one exercise will I do now and continue FOR LIFE?"

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

+1. You can certainly see results doing only one type of exercise, but it may get ridiculously boring running on a treadmill all the time. Although you could also run outside, which is a lot less boring in my opinion.
  • ebayaddict0127
    ebayaddict0127 Posts: 523 Member
    I'm down 16 lbs and my primary exercise has been walking. I am getting rather bored with it though, and have started incorporating more strength training. Time to build some muscle!
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Certainly you can be successful doing one exercise that you enjoy! And if or when you get bored with that, so you'll find something else to do. For cardio I walk, hike, or go up and down stairs with a weighted backpack. For strength training, I do 100 knee pushups and other fun stuff that I can do with dumbbells, in my living room.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!