Bodybugg vs polar vs whatever else!

Hello, I just wanted to get some opinions on these weight lose helpers. I want to keep track of how many cal. i burn, i dont really care to put it into another computer system because frankly i like MFP and dont really want to change to something else. My main reason to have one is to figure out how many cal. seeing im not sure how accurate some of the things are on here. I do DVD workouts, treadmill, elliptical (old school one), and walking the big beast of a dog all at home, the only thing i have is the treadmill to tell me possibly how many i have burned. Seeing i do a lot of dvd's i would just like one to figure those out. I dont have a ton of money to work with and frankly im not sure if the chest strap will fit yet?? never tried maybe it would.
just thought i would throw this out there and hope to get some response thanks!!

Replies

• pamelasusan
    pamelasusan Posts: 90 Member
    I have a Go Fit Wear by the makers of the Body Bugg. It is designed to be worn all day. It monitors your sleep and all calories burned. I love it. It shows me how much I am really burning during the day as well as when I work out.

They are 25% off this weekend with free shipping.....which is a really good deal since they are a bit pricey.
  • do you have to have a membership for online or does it just tell you your cal burned by looking at it??? and i guess do you NEED to have an iphone?
  • pamelasusan
    pamelasusan Posts: 90 Member
    It comes with a 3 month membership free and then it's either $7 or $9 a month.

The one that links up to an iphone is new. Mine does not do that. I have access to my laptop frequently enough that I don't need that one. So you don't need to have an iphone.....I don't have one!
  • Kanakake
    Kanakake Posts: 119 Member
    I dont have an HRM yet and I just cant afford a body bugg or anyhting else they might have but after doing a little research online I found from consumersearch.com the best budget (based on consumer revewiws) HRM +calorie tracker is the timex-personal-trainer-heart-rate-monitor-t5g971 Est $60 but they have it on ebay for a little bit cheaper. I am still deciding on weather to buy that one or soemthing by polar or even jsut buying whatever walmart has.
  • dctucker
    dctucker Posts: 13 Member
    do you have to have a membership for online or does it just tell you your cal burned by looking at it??? and i guess do you NEED to have an iphone?
    You do need a monthly subscription after the initial free 3 months (usually). About $6/mo if you commit to 1 year. You're worth it. You don't need an i-Phone or Android, you don't need the monitor/watch unless you want it. Don't buy the Bluetooth one unless you have and iPhone or Android and you want to see the live data there. You just need a computer with an internet connection, which you seem to have ;) The GoWear Fit syncs to your computer and the web via USB (necessary even with the Bluetooth one). There's a 20% (25%?) sale this weekend. Just buy the basic armband to start. If you hate it, or don't use it, eBay it and you'll get almost all of it back.

I'm a data/numbers junkie, so I LOVE it. Just not 100% sure I totally trust the calorie burn number yet. It seems a bit high, but on another thread, a longer user says it settles down after the first week, and it may be that my metabolism is higher than the BMR calculator here says (2300 vs 2000). I'm a big guy with a lot of muscle under the flab, so it could be, as some others who have had lab tests have found.

Yeah, the BodyMedia is pricey, but most all who use it swear by it. I have one that I just started using a few days ago (gifted to my wife, sat unused forever, so I got off scot-free!). I've been studying up like mad on it and I haven't found many negatives, other than it under-reports cycling. I really like MFP's food logging, but just moments ago decided I'm going to try to log on both sites for a while. Having the calorie input and burn in 1 place is very nice. I started off just putting my total calories in on the BodyMedia site as suggested by a number of people here, However, there's a nice pie chart of where your calories come from over there (% carbs, fat, protein, etc), which I really like. Funny thing is, my breakfast log was lighter on BodyMedia, which concerns me. The food database here is MUCH better as users add stuff all the time. You can add your own foods over there, but they don't get shared into the public database. And the community & support here is tops, so I'm not leaving here!

I just started 2 weeks ago, with a goal to lose 55 pounds. I think the BodyMedia is going to be a big help, as I suspect I've been under-eating, which is a no-no. I'm going to invest in a new scale for myself as well. My old scale gives a different reading every time you step on it, usually adding a pound each time you step on. Plus I want weight in 1/10's, body fat and hydration. Like I said, I'm a numbers geek!