Protein

Options
Is it bad to go over your daily protein goal?
Apparently on here my goal is 45g. When I eat my dinner and snack I will be over by 20g

Replies

• 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Protein is not a problem! I go over almost every day.
  • wittlemunchkinx
    Options
    Phew. I don't feel too bad now then :]!
    Is there disadvantages to lots of protein?
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Too much protein is a problem for people with kidney problems. But, there is only a certain amount of protein that the body can process in a day. Getting too much for an extended period of time is very hard on the kidneys. Going over on your protein isn't a big deal if it happens now and then, but you shouldn't go over by a significant amount every day for longer than 3-4 months.
  • jodi8135
    Options
    no disadvantage i actually eat about 60 to 70g of protein a day and i find if i dont eat alot of protein i dont lose weight
  • llucibelle65
    Options
    I go over on my protein consistently also. I'm glad I'm not the only one dealing with it. What can we do to cut back on protein?
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    I'm working on my protein. I'm usually good about getting more though. I try to buy some meats like chicken, turkey, and salmon..or tuna to help with that.
  • wittlemunchkinx
    Options
    It feels like I'm eating hardly any protein :S!
    Unless the caloriecounter is wrong?!
    The food I'm eating today, the only thing that has high protein is chicken, and even so I'll be eating 2x 60g of chicken.
    There's also 2 bowls of cereal and sharwood medium dry noodles =\
  • Raingurl
    Options
    I by far not an expert, but you need half of your lean muscle mass weight in protein a day as a minimum. The problem with us is we tend to not get enough protein in our diet. Now when you start exercising... now you need a minimum of your total lean muscle mass weight in grams.

For example

I weigh 150, I know thats not all lean muscle mass but I need around 75 grams of protein a day, now when I work out I need to have at least 150. Your body needs protein, give it what it needs. This is by far not a high protein kind of concept, just a minimum protein concept.

Keep in mind too that it shouldn't all come from animal protein, getting it from other sources is the way to go. Much healthier way to go.

Anyways just thought I'd share the information that I know.
  • Mrbackslap
    Options
    Raingurl your taking in way too much protein.
    I'll bet you'll lose more fat if you cut the protein imo.
    One pound of muscle "contains" 100 grams of protein and your body can only make 1 pound of muscle a week max. (working out intensely)
    So in truth if your active you only need a little more then usual and not that much.