Thoughts on Zumba?

Options
I have been looking into Zumba and it looks fun but I'm not very fit yet and I don't know much about it. Is it fun? Is it hard for beginners? Any tips? Other thoughts?

Replies

• PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    Just do it! Personally, my friends tried to get me to do zumba with them for almost 2-3 years before I ever went. I kept saying I don't dance or some other excuse. Then I finally did it and loved it. It is so much fun. Prices will vary but where I live the average is about $5 per class. I would check out local churches and see if anyone holds free zumba. That is how I am able to do it, a local church holds Zumba 3x week. I'm very poor and am glad I found out about the free zumba classes.
  • SwampWitch666
    SwampWitch666 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I've always wondered as well. I've never really been much of a dancer, but it looks like fun.

I've heard that's it's a rip-off, though... too expensive for the faulty claims and all that. I don't know for sure, though.
  • Bluizflame
    Bluizflame Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I <3 Zumba!! I have 0 coordination, and i'm sure i look like an idiot doing it haha But it's sooooo much fun! There's an older guy that comes to class every day. He just sways back and forth for the most part and moves his arms around. Every level of fitness can do it. Just keep your body moving, and do the steps you can :)

*Edit* My gym has classes all the time, so i don't have to pay any extra for doing it. Not sure what prices are outside of gym's.
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    I've been doing zumba for about 2 years, and I still miss up on some moves. the trick is to just keep moving, even if all you do is march in place. Arm movements help burn extra calories along with yelling, laughing and clapping. Make sure you have a water bottle with you, you will sweat buckets!
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it on Xbox One and really love it! It's pretty easy and a good way to get your heart rate up. Good luck!
  • gpollis
    gpollis Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    zumba is fun for me ,lost 60 pounds since 2011
  • MamaC77
    MamaC77 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    The good thing about Zumba is that nobody cares how you look or how uncoordinated you are. Personally I love it. Its fun and not the same thing over and over again. I'd way prefer to dance to some fun music than run on a treadmill for an hour. You burn lots of calories (not as many as some people claim so be careful when you log it). The main thing is that you get what you put in. If you go all out and move the whole time you will burn more. Where I live you can go to a rec center and pay a drop in fee for a class. Try it out and see for yourself. Relax and have a good time. There are so many classes everywhere now so it should be pretty easy to find a class. I leave the class sweating every time. Im sure there are people who don't think that it is worth it but I know quite a few people who have lost large amounts of weight doing Zumba 3-4 times a week. It really is a great cardio workout if you just go for it. Try it out and have a good time.
  • caraherch
    Options
    I use the Zumba game for Xbox and love it! It kicks my butt but I love being able to use it to switch up workouts or do it at night when I worked out in the morning. And I really love getting to do it at home. I find I do it harder because I know nobody is judging my moves! It really is fun though and is not at all about being a good dancer. Just give it your all and enjoy the burn!
  • Arranna1212
    Arranna1212 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I started taking Zumba classes and I have like.. NO dancing coordination at all! I LOVE LOVE LOVE them! Im a heavy person and before I started working out, I had little to no exercise at all. At my first class I got about 80% of the steps and man did I sweat like crazy! Don't worry about other people looking at you dance either, because everyone has their own interpretation of the dance anyways. So as long as you're move your arms, taking your steps, and swinging your hips, you are good to go!
  • mochapygmy
    mochapygmy Posts: 2,123 Member
    Options
    I'm not very fit yet and I've been to a few Zumba classes. I don't always keep up with the choreography changes but I'm always moving/flailing around. The first class I took was a 7am Saturday morning class, I arrived sleep deprived and wondering why I, who can't walk in a straight line was going to try a "dance" class then the music was pumping and I was having fun in no time. Check out a class and see what you think.
  • Psysix
    Psysix Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your replies. It's very motivating. =)
  • cdlmaw1
    cdlmaw1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I tried it on xbox and I felt like I was just wayyy to out of shape to do it for more than 5 minutes so I started walking with Leslie Sansone on youtube.
  • Groovyca2022
    Groovyca2022 Posts: 21,378 Member
    Options
    Love it...it's fun. Just keep moving easy cal burn.
  • Lisafromtheburgh
    Options
    I love Zumba. I prefer doing classes over doing it at home. I bought a DVD set and I don't care for it. Maybe it's me but I feel like I get a better workout in a class.
  • caraherch
    Options
    I tried it on xbox and I felt like I was just wayyy to out of shape to do it for more than 5 minutes so I started walking with Leslie Sansone on youtube.

I felt like this too. I kept stopping and thinking "wow this is the beginner level? My god!" But every time got easier and after only four times I am able to get through the whole thing and actually focus on doing the moves to the (semi) fullest.
  • swissmish
    swissmish Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Love Zumba...it's fantastic! For me t is an easy calorie burn and really gets me sweating (to the point that I still have sweat dripping off me during the cool down and driving home). It doesn't really matter whether or not you have a dance background or not. Or even any coordination for that matter. Everyone starts somewhere and no one is really watching you and judging how well you do the moves or not (okay well maybe I do just a bit). But definitely give it a try and do not feel discouraged after the first class if you can't get the moves right. Keep at it and it will become easier with each and every class.
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I think it's fun, but so easy for me that I don't think it burns all that many calories.
  • indrani1947
    indrani1947 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Love it, no matter your fitness level or age you can burn calories in an enjoyable fun way it keeps me motivated and I miss it when I cannot go :)
  • Lozzer135
    Lozzer135 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Do it. It's really good fun - everyone is so busy concentrating on not falling over they won't notice if you're going the wrong way!! Happy, feel good music, motivating and fun plus it's good exercise - what's not to like?
  • abickford82
    Options
    I personally can't stand it. Though I love to dance, I'm more of a run fast and lift heavy kind of person. I do however see how Zumba appeals to people who don't nessesarily like exercise (or even do and just want to mix it up). Anyone can do it...and it makes working out fun. Definitely give it a go!

My experience: an instructor can make or break your love for Zumba. I had a really crappy one recently (think Prancersize-ish), but I've had really high energy, awesome ones, too. Just isn't my thing.