calorie count, exercise, not losing weight?

Options
hi, I'm new here, I just signed up today. I'm 19, turning 20 in a couple weeks, 5'0-5'1 currently weighing at 116 lbs. I do insanity and then I go to the gym and run/walk for 30 mins, burning 200 calories then do some ab workouts afterwards. I aim for 1500 calories daily as a gross, not net. my first week I lost like 3 lbs. halfway through my second week I lost 1 LB and now I seemed to not have lost any... or might have gained! I don't understand what's going on. can anyone help?

I've been on many websites where it calculates how many calories one can consume to maintain. these websites obv ask what one's activity level is like. I always put moderately active (3-5x a week, exercise). it gives me around 1900-2000 calories. however I subtract 500 so I could lose that 1lb every week. my second question is, from 1500, do I also subtract the calories I burn from working out? or has the calculator already done so by giving my my maintenance calorie count?

I really want to lose 2lbs per week. 3lbs would be even better.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You're 116lbs and you want to lose 3lb a week... :huh:
  • pikachua
    Options
    mainly because I want a smaller stomach and I know I can't just lose it there. my goal
    is actually 105 lbs. but I said I wanna lose 3lbs so I can get there quicker. but id settle for 2lbs/week!
  • bms34b
    bms34b Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Hm....With that small of a starting weight and the main goal to make your stomach smaller, I encourage you to look into weight lifting and strength training as a way of changing your body instead of losing weight.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    At your current healthy weight, 2 lbs a week is not going to happen.

I second the strength training. Strength training will do more for you than a calorie deficit will.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    There is no reason for you to be trying to lose 2 pounds a week.
  • pikachua
    Options
    but what about my second question of the calories I burn during working out? am I starving myself..?
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options
    You really have no business trying to lose 2 pounds a week at your size. A slower weight loss with strength training and plenty of protein will mean that you maintain more muscle mass and lose more body fat.

If you use the MFP calculator then note that it is designed such that you are supposed to eat back your exercise calories. Most calorie burn estimates are high but I would eat back AT LEAST half of what is estimated.

If you are using a TDEE calculator such as Scooby's workshop, then no you do not eat back your exercise calories.

I don't have all your stats but 1500 doesn't sound far off for you, but the devil is in the details.

Finally, let's talk your exercise program. Strength training will help you get the body you want and pure ab workouts aren't going to cut it. Get into a full body program using either bodyweight or compound lifts, such as Stronglifts or Starting Strength.
  • pikachua
    Options
    sometimes when I check my scale it says I gained weight. like 120. idk if it's a faulty scale or what because I feel thinner and I think my body has improved. what are your recommendations if I am at 118-120? the last time I checked was last Wednesday and I was 116.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    sometimes when I check my scale it says I gained weight. like 120. idk if it's a faulty scale or what because I feel thinner and I think my body has improved. what are your recommendations if I am at 118-120? the last time I checked was last Wednesday and I was 116.

You don't need to lose weight, if you feel like you have 'fat bits' then add some strength/resistance training and eat at 10% below your TDEE.

starving yourself and killing yourself with cardio will just make you more squishy.
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options
    I'm right at 180 and I have daily fluctuations of 5 pounds or more. It's water and food. Focus on your overall weight loss trend line and weigh yourself only at the same time and under similar circumstances for the sake of sanity. Also, set your goal for 1 pound a week, weigh your food, get at least 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass, and 0.35 grams of dietary fat per pound of overall body weight. And lift.

Then just stick with it.
  • mohawkRN
    mohawkRN Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    If you're doing "Insanity" and ab work, chances are you're gaining some muscle, which will show up as a higher weight. Maybe your goal weight is too low and you should be focusing on a percentage of body fat vs lean mass. To evaluate this, you need a special scale. Some gyms have them and offer free evaluations.