Don't call it a diet!!!

2»

Replies

• Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    I dont call it diet, i call it a life style choice (not a change, their is only a slight difference from how i was before this)

I havent given up a single food item, I have just choosen to eat better and dont feel like i have missed out on a single thing since nothing is forbidden. Where as if its forbidden or 'not allowed' you want it all the more.

I literally say out 'i dont want to eat that' when someone is trying to offer sweets/buns and in my mind i'm not craving anything.

Works for me anyway =]
  • leighclayton
    leighclayton Posts: 21 Member
    Thanks to the OP for the inspirational post. I am not calling it anything at the moment. It's just how I 'roll' ;). I am really enjoying the simplicity of using MFP and all of the great support and motivation and success stories on here. Love this site!
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    I think of diet as the traditional way..it's what you eat... if I'm talking about a short term diet I call it a crash diet.
    I tell people im changing my diet for good- that clears it up
  • kewkdb
    kewkdb Posts: 207 Member
    I'm not on a diet. I have altered my consumption of fuel.
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    This is what I tell people now that ask me how I have lost my weight. I liked it so much, I put it in my profile to remind me every day of why this is working for me after all this time! :wink:

I am now a firm believer in not "dieting" but in eating a balanced nutritious diet and exercise. I don't cut any food group out, I just choose wisely. I still have to occasional baked treat, I use sugar in my coffee but way less and I exercise to earn those treats. That is a plan I can follow for life. A "diet" will get old and restrictive and most people fall right back into old ways and gain the weight right back.
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    While we are at it, I think we need to stop thinking of food in such negative terms (although please keep using the word "naughty" naughty.gif ). We make food choices and we deal with the implications. But I can't help but think the negativity may encourage some binging.

Love your "naughty" symbol!
  • alantin
    alantin Posts: 621 Member
    Screw "lifestyle change" and "going on diet"!

Its about "properly watching your diet" ! :wink:

Btw. Since a very narrow idea, of what the word actually means, seems to be pretty prevalent, I'll paste a link to the wikipedia article about it. It actually was a fairly interesting read!

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diet_(nutrition)

Ps. Please, don't get me wrong. I don't really care what you call what you're doing. I'm mearly annoyed about the general need to explain, that I mean the word "diet" in its true meaning, when ever I use it.. :angry:
  • Dlibo1013
    Dlibo1013 Posts: 883 Member
    agree Randy thanks for reminding me
  • StacySkinny
    StacySkinny Posts: 984 Member
    I dont call it diet, i call it a life style choice (not a change, their is only a slight difference from how i was before this)

I havent given up a single food item, I have just choosen to eat better and dont feel like i have missed out on a single thing since nothing is forbidden. Where as if its forbidden or 'not allowed' you want it all the more.

I literally say out 'i dont want to eat that' when someone is trying to offer sweets/buns and in my mind i'm not craving anything.

Works for me anyway =]

I couldn't agree more! :D "Giving up" the foods we love or making some foods "off limits" only lead to feelings of being overly deprived. But if we tell ourselves that nothing is off limits, that if we want something BAD ENOUGH that we can have it - just in much smaller portions than we normally would - then that actually helps people to make better and better choices. It seems to be what works best for most of the people who have lost weight and kept it off. :) After a while you just stop craving the "crap" and "junk" food, and you actually start DESIRING the more nutritious foods. When nothing is off limits we eventually start making healthier and healthier choices -naturally, without feelings of deprivation or feelings that we are being "bad" if we happen to want something that is a little (or even a lot) higher in calories. Just factor it into your daily calories an move on. :D
This discussion has been closed.