Help Please Understanding Soft Drinks Label

Options
Hi. I have embarked on a goal to lose 10 stone and am only 5 days into my regime and am pleased with how things are going so far.

At night I would usually consume pints of beer whilst watching TV and so far have substituted that for water which I always have drank a lot of. However to alleviate the boredom of water I looked at a local supermarket and thought I might try sparkling water with a flavouring. It states on the 1 litre bottle that it has 10 cals per 250ml so a total of 40 cals per bottle.

My question - Is there more to this than just the cals - the label also states

per 1 litre bottle

Energy Kj 160
Protein 1.2g
Carbohydrate ( Glucides / Koolhydraten 5.2g
of which sugars 4g
Fat 1.2g
of which saturates 0g
Fibre 1.2g
Sodium 0.12g
Eqquivelant as salt 0.32g

Ingredients
Spring Water
Concentrated Apple Juice
Carbon Dioxide
Citric Acid
Sugar
Flavourings
Acidity Regulator
Malic Acid
E331
Sucralose

Sorry for all the details but I am just starting to read labels for the first time on my food and drink and dont really understand it all.

Can I simply accept that there is 40 calories in this bottle and if I am sticking to a calorie in and out diet that is all that is important or is there more to it?

Replies

• D_squareG
    D_squareG Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I used an online kilo joule converter and I come up with 38 calories for the bottle.
  • LexiMelo
    LexiMelo Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I don't know the answer to your question, labels are very different in America...but I wanted to comment that there should be some zero calorie flavored seltzer water available. Our "bubbly water" is zero calorie -I think the culprit in the brand you are looking at is the added sugar. But I guess you don't get the same brands on your side of the pond?

Either way it's a LOT better than beer! Congrats on making a better choice. :drinker:
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    There are 4 grams of sugar, which isn't too bad. Some articisl additives. Everyone has their opinion on that. I'd just drink it, log the calories and move on.
  • Vegasbound8
    Options
    I wouldn't drink anything with concentrated apple juice and added sugar. Simple add add a lemon slice or thin orange slice to your regular water or plain carbonated water. Better yet first thing in the morning it is very healthy to drink warm water with a lemon slice to detox your liver.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options

Can I simply accept that there is 40 calories in this bottle and if I am sticking to a calorie in and out diet that is all that is important or is there more to it?

Yes, you can assume there are 10 calories per serving, 40 calories per bottle.
    I used a different mathematical approach and came up with 36.52 calories, which means they rounded up basically. Depending on the company and region, labels are allowed to be off by a certain %. I would just go with the 40 calories though. 3.5 calories is a pretty minimal margin of error.
  • AnneGenevieveS
    AnneGenevieveS Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Haven't read the other comments to see what else other people said, but the very best thing you can do for yourself is...

DON'T DRINK YOUR CALORIES, especially soft drinks.

Full sugar drinks can have more calories than a whole meal.
    The diet drinks are full of chemicals that cause some people to have MS symptoms, migraines, etc.

I'd rather have another serving of food then a glass of juice or pop for the same calories.

Sure, have a glass of milk (which helps me feel fuller after a meal), or a glass of wine or beer occasionally, but on a day to day basis, ditch the soft drinks completely!

I know its a hard habit to cut. If you need to cut back, but just feel you can't go without the flavoring, try the flavor drops or sugar free stuff, but I stay away from it due to the chemicals.
  • kaliedoskope
    kaliedoskope Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    There are 3 kinds of sugar in there... Fruit sugar, sugar, and fake sugar - sucralose (Splenda). I would suggest not drinking this stuff. Find something else that has flavour but less sugar. You are probably going to find more fake sugar stuff though so you just have to figure out what you really want to be consuming. Sucralose and Stevia and some other ones are better than the older fake sugars that have been around forever (sorry can't spell them) but they are still fake. If you want fizzy water and flavour maybe just buy plain fizzy water and put or squeeze some fruit in it. If you need it a little sweeter then add raw or some other non refined sugar.
  • MyFoodGod
    MyFoodGod Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Work on the habit of feeling like you have to have something to consume just because you are watching TV. In the mean time have water or plain hot tea. Find a flavor you like. But see if you can greatly reduce or eliminate this habit.
  • AnneGenevieveS
    Options
    OH ALSO... If it says "40 calories per serving," check how many servings are in one bottle/can.

10 servings per bottle at 40 calories each is 400 for the whole bottle
  • AnneGenevieveS
    Options
    I like Kaleidoskope's idea. If you must have flavored drinks, get the carbonated water and put some lemon in it.

Yes, and tea
  • Gemmz2014
    Options
    http://www.amazon.com/Infuser-Water-Bottle-Ounce-Ingredients/dp/B0093F9LW6/ref=sr_1_22?ie=UTF8&qid=1391956250&sr=8-22&keywords=water+bottle+to+add+fruit

I have one of these and add lemon to it daily. Delish and healthy! You can put lime, cukes or whatever.

I DO NOT SELL THEM NOR DO I RECEIVE ANY $ FOR THOSE THAT ARE PURCHASED.

Just in case I get accused of spam

I know that didn't actually answer your question but I didn't have an answer. I do know that water alone can sometimes be boring.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    OH ALSO... If it says "40 calories per serving," check how many servings are in one bottle/can.

10 servings per bottle at 40 calories each is 400 for the whole bottle

It says 10 calories per serving, which is 40 calories per bottle, right in the OP.
  • ShonzG
    ShonzG Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I love flavoured fizzy drinks - it's a fact! I know they are bad for me, so I've majorly cut back. I still have them occasionally, but I don't have the "diet" versions because of the chemicals. I am starting to enjoy sparkling mineral water with the juice of a lime or a lemon. I have a really big drink bottle and I try and have 2 of these a day. I also am starting to enjoy iced teas with fruit instead of tea leaves (fruit infusions). They don't have many calories but taste good too. I guess it's personal preference, but drink fizzy flavoured sugared drinks in moderation. Hope this helps!
  • TullyCassie
    Options
    Thanks Everyone for your responses.

Reading them all I think now I will go with the idea of simple Sparkling / Fizzy Water and will experiment with adding lemon or lime etc to it for flavouring. I assume if I buy a bottle of sparkling water it should be just that and nothing else - no sugar additives etc - so it will just be water - this is a whole new shopping experience - never noticed labels before!!