Have you dealt with hypoglycemia directly?

Options
13»

Replies

• cassylee
    cassylee Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say thankyou. Over the last 20 odd years, I have felt weird. Occassionally, I have fainted or I get headaches or I get cranky or several of the other systoms which I could not explain with other foods or circumstances. I went to the doctors for this test 20 odd years ago and they could not find anything wrong. I had a feeling it had to do with food and sugar levels but I only got these attacks rarely or mildly that most of time I past it off as something else like my allegies to Dairy and caffeine.

So reading all your comments and looking back in time, I realise that all my previous diets failed because I would get all the symptoms I have said and then just eat everything and anything to make me happy. Once the sugar rush was over, I would be miserable because I ate all that food and not continue on the diet.

So thankyou all again. I am not insane. I am not a failure. I just need more balance meals for 5 times a day.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Insulin sensitivity is insulin resistance.
    Sensitivity is the opposite of resistance.

Sensitive - "quick to detect or respond to slight changes, signals, or influences."
    Resistance- "the ability not to be affected by something, esp. adversely."

I am insulin resistant which makes me extremely insulin sensitive. Hence why I have to watch my carb and sugar intake because the smallest amount of carbs can shoot my levels through the roof.

Do you have low insulin sensitivity or high insulin sensitivity?
    I can eat large quantities of carbs, sugar and alcohol which usually cause blood sugars to spike, and mine barely goes above normal fasting levels. So, my insulin levels easily compensate for my carbs, and if I do not eat enough carbs is when I seem to have problems. Eating lots of simple carbs can cause low blood sugar like symptoms, but my blood sugar isn't necessarily low at that time. Other times my blood sugar is low but I do not have any symptoms. My A1C I believe was around a 4.5, which corresponds to overall having a relatively low blood sugar (low 80s).

Low 80s isn't low blood sugar. Low blood sugar is 70 and below. Have you had the function of your pancreas tested? You're not a type 1 diabetic, right?
    80 is not low, but it has tested in the 40s and 50s. Overall it is normal towards the lower side of normal. My blood sugar does not go high at all. Like ever. I have no symptoms of diabetes and have never tested positive.

Have you ever had your insulin tested? I wonder if you need insulin injections. That would help raise your blood sugar! I'm thinking maybe your pancreas isn't producing much insulin… this would be the reason for your hypos.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I have had issues with non-diabetic hypoglycaemia since I was a child; it was worst when I was a teenager though, presumably because I was growing ridiculously fast!

I have found a few things:
    1. protein is good at controlling blood sugar, bizarrely more so than carbohydrate, so bacon butties were my breakfast of choice as a teenager. Now I'm good with Shreddies but when my blood sugar is way out of whack meat is what I need.

2. if you have this, the last thing you want to do is stimulate over production of insulin, so avoid really sweet things, and heavy meals with lots of high GI carbs. Aim for low GI carbs and proteins. I can't eat porridge for example, as I can't resist syrup and it inevitably leads to me going hypo about an hour later.

3. Bananas are your friend. If you get low on blood sugar, eat a banana - they have quick release sugar to pull you out of the hypo, and slow release sugar to sustain you for a while. Get a banana guard and keep one in your handbag at all times. Nuts are also good, but make sure you measure them out in advance and keep them in handy packages as you will happily eat a whole tree-full when you're gagging for sugar. Try not to eat chocolate if you're hypo - it won't help in the long term, either for your diet or for stabilising your blood sugar levels.

4. If I get out of my mealtime routine either by having a heavier meal when I don't usually have one (main meal at lunch instead of dinner for example), or by eating at different times than normal, it can take a few days to settle my sugar levels back down. I try to stick to a routine as much as possible - eating my meals within a 2 hour window, and having roughly the same number of calories per meal. Scheduling snacks every 4 hours can also help when I'm having a bad week.

5. Drink loads of water, more than the recommended 8 glasses. I don't know why this helps, but I find it does.

I suggest you get a blood sugar monitor and do regular tests at specific times during the day, plus when you're feeling low on sugar. This way you will know at what level you feel low, and whether it is the actually level that causes the unpleasant feelings or the drop (I suspect for me it's the drop in blood sugar rather than the level - I've felt fine at 4.0 but felt hypo at 5.1)

P.S. when I saw my doc about it when I was a teenager, he said it didn't necessarily mean anything is wrong with me, some people are just more sensitive to blood sugar than others. Pop to the doc, get yourself tested for stuff, but don't read more into it than is actually there - I see lots of posts about pancreatic failure and kidney issues. Unless the doc says otherwise, I would assume you're just a bit more sensitive than others.
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Update: Doc wants blood work; CMP, TSH, Lipid insulin, and c-peptide serum. <<not sure what those mean but hey. He said he's concerned that I may be over producing insulin. Prescribed me a glucometer and wants me to check my glucose when I feel shakey, nervous, and light headed. Also thinks I may be a bit high strung and crossing into "fight or flight" response over the course of the day which may lead to hypoglycemic type symptoms. Also said the over production of insulin after weight loss should have leveled out by now. I have maintained my initial weight loss for a year.

Needless to say, I am concerned and nervous right now. Plus I nearly fainted this morning when I used my meter for the first time. Wish me luck.
  • smittybuilt19
    Options
    Bump.
  • hajenkatt
    hajenkatt Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Upping my protein has helped me tremendously. I am in the same boat as those who have written how eating just pancakes, or waffles, or cereal will have me crashing within the hour. Protein with every meal helps balance me out.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    Interesting about that fight or flight thing. Good luck
  • laurelboynton
    laurelboynton Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I thought I had this... I had a few occasions where I would all of a sudden start feeling sick and shaky and go hot and cold. I wouldn't notice that it was related to eating straight away, until about 15 minutes into the sick feeling and then would have to eat a biscuit or something and within five minutes I would feel better.

I went for countless tests including 7 blood tests and an ECG as they thought it may be linked to my heart. They found nothing..

I spoke to my manager who happens to be very into nutrition and health etc.. She told me to go on a low GI diet.. Or just to ensure that when I eat high carbs... I must eat protein with them!.. All my attacks had been about 2 hours after breakfast... usually a large bowl of high sugar/carb cereal.

Now If I have fruit, I have a few almonds with it. If I eat cereal or oatmeal, I put flaxseed on it.

Have you tried this?
  • laurelboynton
    laurelboynton Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Also, does anyone else have night sweats after eating a large carb or sugary meal quite close to bed?

I hate this! :(
  • amblight
    amblight Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I had one about 2 years ago, though not under standard conditions.

At my university, I often volenteer to be a test person at the medical department or the hospital - Not drug trials or anything like that, but quite often they need people as 'standard data' to compare with ill people, or they need to see how one lifestyle differs from another etc. It's very interesting!

Anyways, I was in a study where they needed to measure healthy individuals response to hormones - so they had to give me a bit of insulin, hoping to drop my blood sugar levels to 2.2 (first symptoms of hypoglycemia is at about 2.8-3.0), to then see how well it would stabilize (as non-diabetics do) Based on my fasting blood sugar, and factors such as my weight (which was at it's all time high) they calculated how much insulin they needed to give me for that - they included the assumption that morbidly obese people tend to be a bit more insulin resistant, due to their diabetic risk.

Well, turns out, I'm not resistant. At all. Which is a good sign for me, very small risk of diabetes! But at the time, it meant my blood sugar dropped to 0.8 - levels where diabetics (aka, people who cannot stabilize their blood sugar) risk going into coma!

Luckily I stabilized in record time, I was at 1.5 at the next measurement, again a pointer that I'm not in much diabetis-risk because my hormones are so potent and finely tuned!

I wasn't very scared at the time, because a) I was barely concious, (they took blood samples every 5min, and they had to wake me up each time!) and when I was, I felt incredibly drunk, so not much mind to worry. and b) I was in the biggest hospital in the country, surounded by a team of doctors, who were experts in this, and had all their focus on me. Really, no danger.

But thinking about it, if I had felt nearly anywhere like that, just at home or something, I would think I was for sure dying. I couldn't really speak (extremely slurred), my thoughts were so slow, I couldn't feel my hands etc.
  • sad_kitty
    sad_kitty Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I get occasional hypoglycemia if I'm not careful about what I eat and when. The worst for me is shaking hands with headache. I've actually cut my hand because I was too shakey to use a knife properly while preparing something to eat. I feel like I should know better as I was an RN. What I find helps keeps this at bay is to eat low GI foods and enough protiens to ensure my sugar levels are stable throughout the day. When I bottom out, I do what some diabetics do. A small amount of something sweet to instantly boost my level (a candy or honey or something), and then a complex carb and a protien ( whole grain crackers and cheese or nut butter etc) to keep things stable until I can get decent food into myself.
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    For years friends have been known to bung me a chocolate bar or piece of fruit at times because "I needed to eat" - I didn't necessarily feel it myself, but I would get irritable and argumentative. Then I started to experience shakes a couple of hours after eating lots of pasta or white bread. The crunch came when I fainted twice at work, a couple of hours after breaking fast with a sugary bun.

I'm allergic to doctors, so I did the very unsensible thing of just not eating sugary foods first thing in a morning and limiting the amount of white bread and pasta. Since I've started losing weight, I'm eating a lot more protein, especially in a morning and I'm much less prone to crashing or getting irritable. I don't need to eat too often, but I do keep snacks handy, just in case.

If/when I finally see a doctor (not 'til all this weight is off though!) I will probably mention it to him/her.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,706 Member
    Options
    Haven't read all the posts, but will add my experience.

I was previously diabetic. Since losing some weight my blood glucose has return to a normal range without medication and I have instructed to stop medicating.

When I was used to running higher BG, I would experience hypoglycemic symptoms even if my BG was actually normal (around 4.4). Typically this would occur after exercise. A half glass of orange juice or a single jelly bean or wine gum would be enough to take care of the dizziness and shakiness.
  • fortally
    Options
    So, will this likely be a lifelong issue that needs to be managed?

Also, I would love to carry a glucometer for curiosity's sake, however my extreme needle phobia barley allows me to type the word glucometer.

Hi - just wanted to chime in. I got this far in the thread and said, "Oh, I totally get that." Just thinking of that needle makes my palms go sweaty and ice cold!

I'm right up there with pretty serious blood sugar problems. I never really knew what caused my headaches, dizziness, and fainting until I went on South Beach a few years ago. On the first day I passed out and cracked my head on a table. Suddenly cutting all carbs caused a severe crash. That's when I learned about hypoglycemia! I did stick with a modified South Beach (basically allowing brown rice & fruit), but it was extremely rough going at first. I'd crash during workouts (often passing out) and went into full-blown insulin shock after one of them - very scary. I stuck with it for a couple of months, but it never got much better. Severely low-carb wasn't the answer for me.

I've since done a lot of research on hypoglycemia and basically did food trials to figure out what would work for me. I've learned that my body works best when I limit the amount of carbs I eat in one sitting and make sure sandwich those carbs between fat and protein. Long ago my breakfast was toast (white bread) w/ jelly & orange juice. Not surprising I frequently passed out every day. These days breakfast looks more like this: ONE slice of whole wheat bread with peanut butter and two scrambled eggs with spinach & cheese. I still get to eat whatever carbs I want, just in limited portions and never carbs by themselves.

What's working well for me now is to strategically place the carbs in my diet. Basically I think about what carbs I want to eat each day and then build protein/fat meals & snacks around the carbs. I'm not deprived at all - I just have to think carefully about what I'm going to eat and watch the portions of carbs. I generally stick to whole grains, but I also still indulge in ice cream and cookies. Just not the entire package of cookies. :laugh: . If I DO have a carb-loaded meal or snack it ALWAYS precedes a cardio workout. Things like oatmeal, whole wheat bagels, or fruit & yogurt smoothies - I can have them, but generally only to fuel an intense workout. So I plan ahead with my meals & exercise so that I can still eat what I want.

A lot of managing things came from basically studying myself: test blood sugar (yeah, it hurts - not gonna lie!), eat something, test again at intervals to see what happens. In the beginning I was testing all the time - mainly to learn which combinations of food worked best for me, which caused problems, and how long I could go between eating.

And yeah, unfortunately it's a lifelong thing. I had hoped that over time my pancreas would quit freaking the f*** out when I eat some chocolate, but that hasn't happened. Fudge is still pretty lethal for me!

But I'm not perfect, the body isn't a machine, and low blood sugar still does happen. For me, that's what fruit is for. Oranges & bananas will provide a boost, and I usually follow it up with a carb/fat/protein combo (peanut butter on whole wheat toast is a go-to for me, followed by a protein heavy meal a little while later). My best defense is to recognize when I'm getting the shakes and people are giving me the, "Whoa, crabby much?" looks - and eat something before it gets any worse.

My advice - buy a glucose meter. Amazon has them fairly cheap and if you buy a giant box of strips the cost isn't too bad. Keep a journal of everything you eat & do your own food trials w/testing. I do NOT recommend any sudden changes. South Beach was the WRONG way to go for me - I just didn't know any better at the time.

The glucose meter sucks - no doubt about it. My hands are icy just writing about it. But it's a great tool to really learn how to eat in a way that is best for your body.

Best of luck! :smile:
  • fortally
    Options
    Also, does anyone else have night sweats after eating a large carb or sugary meal quite close to bed?

I hate this! :(

I get insomnia, sweats, and the shakes big time if I eat a carb-loaded meal close to bedtime. It's weird the way it works - sugar crashes during the day make me sleepy (in addition to the headaches and dizziness), but at night it's a sure-fire guarantee that I will lie there most of the night wide awake - shaking and sweating my butt off!
  • smittybuilt19
    Options
    Great responses y'all. So far, since getting my glucometer Thursday, I have tested 4 times between 81 and 115. I have not yet, however, felt the same kind of symptoms I had been feeling in the previous months. I'm waiting for a "crash" so I can verify the low sugar level.
  • AnneGenevieveS
    AnneGenevieveS Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I just posted about this recently too.

GO here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1169928-shaking-blood-sugar-crash
  • thatshistorical
    thatshistorical Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I think I need to see my general practitioner as well as my gyno--I feel like my hormones are all out of whack. I want to make sure my cholesterol and blood sugar levels are healthy, too. I don't know what hypoglycemia feels like. I've had a couple of episodes of lightheaded feelings at the gym--I didn't eat a snack with some quick carbs in it that afternoon, I had stuck to a protein like cottage cheese. Is that a normal reaction, or is it a sign of hypoglycemia? I've tried to cut back on my carbs and find a balance of 30%Carbs/40%Protein/30%Good Fat. It's hard to eat a lot of protein--I'm a pescatarian but only eat about 3 servings of seafood each week.
  • inguy4
    inguy4 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have had RH for over a decade now and since feb, been eating somewhat LCHF. It has caused my low sugar symptoms to recede a lot. Currently, eating 55-60 % fat, 15-20 % protein and 20-30 % carbs.

I have pretty much given up fructose(except while mealtimes, once a week), no sugar(except maybe once a week), very little alcohol, no refined wheat, less gluten(I eat a millet-wheat bread), more vegetables. I don't eat soy, no protein powder(only whey isolate.)
    Fats- coconut oil, butter(lots), ghee, cheese. I stay in a vegetarian household and a high carb country but
    have found that fatty meat works really well to keep me satiated, avoid LS and keep me full of energy. What I've stated is basically the premise of a LCHF or a ketogenic diet.

Also, do note that if you are eating LCHF, I've been able to cut down to 2-3 meals a day, no snacks. On the keto diet, once your insulin secretions normalise, you can easily manage with 2 meals a day.
  • leahraskie
    leahraskie Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I used to get hypoglycemia really bad in high school, from only eating a bag of chips and juice/milk I guess. I guess it's from the simple carbs, but if it hadn't been the end of the day I would have passed out easily. I only got dizzy, fuzzy vision and felt really off a couple of times.

Now I get it from either not eating while doing some kind of moving or from drinking diet pop without eating first. I figure since my fasting is 71mg/dL, that I probably dip a lot lower and don't notice until it's in the 40-50mg/dL range.