Paleo primal newbies??????

Options
Hey all!
I'm entering my 4th week of leading a paleo/primal lifestyle. It was a choice I made after much research and a longing for "change" and something I could really stick to long term.

When I started my weight loss journey, I was 256 at my heaviest wearing a size 24 (this was 2007). I made a commitment to myself to log religiously and change my life...I was 139 at my lowest and a size 6. I yo-yo'ed around but never over 160. Fast forward to 2011 and I had twin baby boys. They were born @ 27 weeks leaving me with lots of excess weight. I focused on them and getting them out of the NICU for 3months. Once they got home, momma went into logging mode again (at 198 lbs). I shed it down to the 150-160's.

Anyways, I want a lifestyle that makes sense on all levels of being healthy and happy, thus I chose to become a "cave woman"!!! Lol

Anybody else out there new to the primal or paleo lifestyle? I need friends/support. I'm not looking for criticism, but more so friends to learn as I embark on ths journey. Public diaries a plus as I would love to see what you're munching on for ideas ;-)

Be my friend!! <3

Replies

• KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    I have been reading a lot about this and would like to give it a try myself. I have never tried the Paleo lifestyle before so it is all new to me. Hopefully I can start it this week. Of course I have to transition in by purchasing the right foods. I could always use the motivation and inspiration. My diary these days is not that great! I work out hard and do not lose weight.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    you want a lifestyle that makes sense, but think that eating like someone that lived 100,000 years ago is the one? LOL

here is my suggestion..

create a calorie deficit
    stick to it
    work out/move more/lift heavy
    eat pretty much what you want…

end thread/
  • JaimeLaRae
    JaimeLaRae Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I'm on my second round of 21DSD, which is pretty much low carb/paleo eating. I'm really enjoying it & the pounds are coming off. Feel free to add me!
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    you want a lifestyle that makes sense, but think that eating like someone that lived 100,000 years ago is the one? LOL

here is my suggestion..

create a calorie deficit
    stick to it

end thread/

I'd have to agree with this, though I would add that you should set up proper macronutrient goals and hit them every day. Also, I'd be interested to see what this "research" is that you did into paleo/primal dieting...

As far as not looking for criticism, you'll tend to get criticism when you follow a diet that has absolutely zero solid scientific evidence to back it up
  • ndj1979
    Options

here is my suggestion..

create a calorie deficit
    stick to it

end thread/

I'd have to agree with this, though I would add that you should set up proper macronutrient goals and hit them every day. Also, I'd be interested to see what this "research" is that you did into paleo/primal dieting...

As far as not looking for criticism, you'll tend to get criticism when you follow a diet that has absolutely zero solid scientific evidence to back it up

i was going to say hit macros..but if OP is just trying to lose weight then macros are not that important...
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options

here is my suggestion..

create a calorie deficit
    stick to it

end thread/

i was going to say hit macros..but if OP is just trying to lose weight then macros are not that important...

Most people that say they want to lose weight really mean they want to lose fat, and if that is the case, then macros are indeed important
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    What exactly about the Paleo diet "makes sense" to you? Considering all the foods the paleo diet excludes are key staple foods that allowed the human race to expand, evolve, and thrive, I'd say it's probably the most nonsensical diet out there. Without grains, legumes, and dairy, the human race wouldn't even really exist.
  • StaceyZombie
    StaceyZombie Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    You guys....god forbid somebody has a different opinion or view point on anything....especially health-related. You really put me in my place. ::insert eye roll::

I've done the suggestions, I wanted something different. Who are you to judge my opinions? Or lifestyle choices?

I was looking for other people like me, not you and your two-sense that was not asked for. Good day gentlemen.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    You guys....god forbid somebody has a different opinion or view point on anything....especially health-related. You really put me in my place. ::insert eye roll::

I've done the suggestions, I wanted something different. Who are you to judge my opinions? Or lifestyle choices?

I was looking for other people like me, not you and your two-sense that was not asked for. Good day gentlemen.

I'm going to ignore good sense and science and try this new fad diet. Why won't you support me??!!!! :sad:
  • ndj1979
    Options

I apologize for offering you a sensible alternative that has worked for thousands of people…

Good luck eating like a caveman or woman …whatever that entails...
  • StaceyZombie
    StaceyZombie Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Incorrect. How is eating healthy, non-processed foods a fad diet?

Please, somebody enlighten me. Obviously it is better to eat ****, stay within my "macros" (which has been proven numerous times over to be a crock of B.S.) and calorie guidelines RATHER than eating fruits/vegetables/meat?

I've firmly been put in my place...
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options

Please, somebody enlighten me. Obviously it is better to eat ****, stay within my "macros" (which has been proven numerous times over to be a crock of B.S.) and calorie guidelines RATHER than eating fruits/vegetables/meat?

JSF
  • ndj1979
    Options

please post the study where they found that hitting macros is "BS"…

who is saying eat "sh**"

My only point to you is that you can eat the foods you want, be healthy, and lose weight, and you do not have to try and emulate a form of eating that died out 100,000 years ago …humans evolved for a reason …think about it...
  • TattooedMommy427
    TattooedMommy427 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm not new, but I'm HFLC/Primal. :)
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the OP! There are support groups on MFP here. Find the "Primal/Paleo Support Group" under "Groups" to meet other like minded folks. :)
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options

I'm going to ignore good sense and science and try this new fad diet. Why won't you support me??!!!! :sad:

Gentelmen, please....this diet works for long term success; except for the part where most people back in those days died once caught...probably about age 25; then there is disease, etc. But let us not quibble over such things; who are you, me, or anyone else to judge? Wait, maybe we've tried these diets or watched people on those diets and they end up in worse shape then when they started. Nah, what would we know?
  • Femtec74
    Femtec74 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I have a very good friend who switched to a paleo lifestyle about a year and a half ago because of some health issues she was having. I was doubtful that this would really make that much difference, but it's easy to see all the benefits she is enjoying from not eating processed foods. She has lost about 30 lbs, her complexion has improved and it is clear that she feels much better. I do not have the discipline to really go full paleo, but after seeing her succeed, I have been gradually introducing more wholesome/natural foods into my own diet. Even though paleo has been around for a while it still seems like a new "fad" lately, but I encourage you to try it if you think you can stick to it. (it is harder on the budget though) I'm not sure why people feel the need to be so critical - that's one of the things I don't like about this forum. I understand that they want to advise you with some of the methods that they have used, but everyone is different and they houldn't criticize you for trying something different. Good luck! I wish you the best!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

That's NOT the paleo diet. The paleo diet consists of arbitrarily eliminating several groups of nutritious food because some random guy decided that people didn't eat them in the paleoliothic era (of course, no food eaten today was eaten in the poaleolithic era, but that's besides the point.) Pray tell, what's so unhealthy about milk, beans, or oats?
  • irishkrissie
    irishkrissie Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Sheesh, you guys are harsh. She clearly stated she was looking for like-minded people. Move along if you have nothing to add to the conversation in a positive manner.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Sheesh, you guys are harsh. She clearly stated she was looking for like-minded people. Move along if you have nothing to add to the conversation in a positive manner.

The IIFYM police can't let it be that simple. :laugh:

Honestly OP, if you want to try paleo, go for it. Life will go on if you decide not to eat grains for a period of time and it's highly unlikely that you will do yourself any harm by eating fresh meat, veggies and fruit in lieu of processed foods. The biggest piece of advice I could give you is to not just rely on eating as much paleo-friendly food as you want and hoping to lose weight as a result. Set some macros and a caloric target for yourself while following this diet, buy a food scale and log everything as accurately as you can. You can adjust fat and carbs to fit your preferences but make sure you're getting enough protein each day. If you decide to reintroduce foods or simply adjust your macros in the future, that's perfectly okay - just keep your calories in check and you'll see great progress.