40 pounds lost in 1 year - over halfway there!

Options
In January 2013 I set out to finally start losing weight. I honestly doubted that I would be successful, seeing as I would be graduating high school and starting college all in the same year. I had tried before, but I never seemed to stick with it. I have also been heavy all my life, so having that in the back of my mind really discouraged me at first. I definitely proved myself wrong! Since last year, I have gone from 212 lbs to just around 170. I am 5"1 so I would ideally like to finish around 130.
I still eat what I want - I just make better choices regarding when I eat and what I eat. Most of all, I've fallen in love with going to the gym. I do a mixture of cardio and lifting and the occasional spin class.
I hope this inspires some of you in the way that other people's progress pictures inspired me last year. If you have any questions, please ask, and also feel free to add me! I am back to logging every day.
I'll post again once I meet my goals!

2dh8cax.jpg

Replies

• tworthen79
    tworthen79 Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    You look amazing!! Keep it up.
  • LindseySprake
    LindseySprake Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Wow well done and congratulations!!!!. :flowerforyou:
  • tonibelle13
    Options
    Looking awesome! Can I ask what kind of lifting and cardio you've been doing? You and I are almost exactly the same height (I'm 5'2") but 170 looks way better on you than it does on me. I spent a long time killing myself with cardio, hating it, and getting nowhere, so I've just started lifting. Hence, my curiosity on your routine :)
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    losing 40 pounds make an amazing difference ....... good job !
  • XxFitnessJunkiexX
    Options
    Way to go!
  • You look so freakin good...Love it...I am gonna add you...
  • missrenahope
    missrenahope Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Looking awesome! Can I ask what kind of lifting and cardio you've been doing? You and I are almost exactly the same height (I'm 5'2") but 170 looks way better on you than it does on me. I spent a long time killing myself with cardio, hating it, and getting nowhere, so I've just started lifting. Hence, my curiosity on your routine :)

Thank you! And absolutely. I feel you on the cardio, I got to hating it too. Eventually I convinced myself to see the cardio portion of my workouts as a warmup, even though I go longer than a warmup. Essentially, I only do between 20 to 30 minutes of cardio every day except the day I do spin, which is an hour. I learned in a class I took last year that you only need 20 minutes of aerobic activity to receive benefit. I go hard for 20 or so minutes on ellipticals, stair climbers, or arc trainers. Resistance is key, I bump that up but not to the point where it hurts to push. After that I do weights. I try to stick to certain areas of my body each day. When I do an exercise, I do 3 sets of 10. Sometimes I push for between 12-15 reps but I don't feel let down if I don't. Week by week, I will try to increase my weight a couple pounds. I do 5-6 lifting exercises daily. At first I relied heavily on machines, but now I am more comfortable with free weights and am seeing MUCH better and faster results this way. I hope that helps!
  • Sunshine2plus2
    Sunshine2plus2 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Congrats!
  • Fiore_
    Fiore_ Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Wow! I can't wait until I drop 15 more pounds so I can look as good as you!
  • missrenahope
    missrenahope Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone!
  • Garylarryb
    Options
    Wow. U are actually stunning. Serious, stunning. Keep it up
  • Garylarryb
    Options
    Wow. U are actually stunning. Serious, stunning. Keep it up
  • Shriffee
    Shriffee Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    You look great!!! You can do it!!
  • RachelRuns9
    RachelRuns9 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    You look incredible!! Congratulations!!! can't wait to see your next post!!
  • earndien
    earndien Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    wow stunning!! you look so good! you go girl
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!