Serious knee problems + Running

Options
I have serious knee problems that have been plaguing my life for the past 10 years. Fractures, and tears, dislocation after dislocation - it just keeps happening. (I'm actually trying to get an MRI/Surgery if it comes back I need it, as we speak)

Despite this I really wish I could run, just for the sake of running. I know it's probably a horrible idea but is there any way that I could make this happen?

Replies

• jmzz1
    jmzz1 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Bump for reply
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    If your doc advises against running due to your knee problems and you still REALLY want to do it, then I would suggest either keeping it to a minimum or trying pool running.
  • VonDressToLarge
    Options
    This sounds like subluxation and may require minor surgery. Once done you should be fine to run again =D I would seek a professionals opinion asap =)
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Don't take chances with your knees without discussing with a orthopedic surgeon. Running is not worth the risk of major damage. I learned this the hard way and cannot run at all anymore. Even walking too fast is painful.
  • Mewcenary
    Mewcenary Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    If running can dislocate your knee, SOMETHING IS WRONG AND SO DON'T RUN.

Find out what is going on. I'm amazed that an MRI has not already been ordered! Get it done.
  • errorist
    errorist Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I've dislocated my knee a couple of times, more than 10 years ago now, and I still live in fear of ever doing it again. It sounds like you have an expensive knee on your hands (not literally a knee growing out of your hands, that would be horrible).
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Go to your doctor. Get a referral from your GP to an ortho guy, or even better, someone in sports medicine. They will be able to assess your situation much better than we can.
  • BeautifulChaos27
    Options
    Lean - My doctor doesn't advise against it, but I've also never asked lol. Last time I saw her before the most recent dislocation (since this time it's a workers comp problem and I'm not allowed to see her) she advised that losing weight would probably help though. I would LOVE to do pool running, I'm a major fish, I would never get out of the water if I could! But I don't have a pool and there is no public pool anywhere near me, not even a gym around here has one that I could join, or a beach/lake. =( Living in the middle of nowhere sucks!

Von - Hopefully! Trying to get that MRI/Surgery ASAP but workers comp is fighting me like I'm asking for the whole world.

Sky - Yikes! I hope that doesn't happen. =( With my most recent injury that happened this past September I'm usually okay but sometimes walking is painful and I limp/favor my good leg going up and down all stairs at all times.

Mew - I've never been running when it happened. First time I was pushed in gym class and hit the floor HARD, second time it was when I jumped into a pool wrong, third time I was shoveling snow and twisted wrong, this last time I tripped over a rug. (lol ^_^" ) though those are just the times it ACTUALLY popped out it's threatened to pop out more times than I can count.

Error - Dislocating the kneecap is extremely painful! First time I like was in shock and couldn't move my other leg, had to re-learn to walk all over again. And this last time I was in so much pain I blacked out! =(
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    Go to your doctor. Get a referral from your GP to an ortho guy, or even better, someone in sports medicine. They will be able to assess your situation much better than we can.

QFT

All we can do is take guesses and say what has helped us. But, we don't know exactly what your issue is and what specific things might help you. Go to someone who does :flowerforyou: