Excuses you made before.

Options
So what excuses have you made to why you can't lose weight, get fit or play a new sport. And what did you do to change your thinking?

For me it was, can't afford a trainer. Easier to buy take out working 7 days a week. I don't want to sweat, i'll be smelly and gross.

Then one day out of no where it just clicked and I thought. "Damn, I really want to go for a long walk!". I went to the grocery store and bought pumpkin for pumpkin soup and I loved it! Now I'm hooked on home cooked meals =O

What about you? How did you change your lifestyle?

Replies

• cnldance
    cnldance Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    the best, most ridiculous excuse i've ever made for myself was, "I just did/got my hair done, I don't want to sweat it" SMH. the worst. I know. I'm still struggling, lol it's totally mental for me.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    I simply denied that I was fat, stayed away from the scale and mirrors. When clothes stopped fitting, I convinced myself that they must have shrunk in the dryer. Really. I have lost the weight and now can wear those "shrunken" sweaters again. LOL!
  • Reagan89
    Reagan89 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'm not that big even though my bmi was over and most my clothes wouldn't fit.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    "I don't have the time". That was my favorite excuse before. I MAKE the time now. Instead of watching some tv show, I use the time to exercise. Everyone has the same 24 hours. You can find 30 minutes here and there each day to exercise. Get up a little earlier or skip a tv show in the evening or go to bed a little later...just find the time.
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    "I can't lose weight, it'll never come off, it won't make any difference, I'll be like this for the rest of my life, it's my age...."
  • No excuses really... More like ignored the problem, avoided mirrors. Kind of like, if I don't see it, it doesn't really exist.
  • Sunitagt
    Sunitagt Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    "I don't have the time". That was my favorite excuse before. I MAKE the time now. Instead of watching some tv show, I use the time to exercise. Everyone has the same 24 hours. You can find 30 minutes here and there each day to exercise. Get up a little earlier or skip a tv show in the evening or go to bed a little later...just find the time.

This was me too. I 'never had time' to be healthy. Dumb excuse because now I work 65-80 hours a week, and I still make time to go to the gym. Although I think it is a bit easier since my DH cooks meals for us. I mean, I'm sure I would have found a way for that too, but it definitely helps.
  • harperjs
    harperjs Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    "But I love cooking and baking!"
    Which is true. I used to bake things once or twice a week and take them in to work, eating my fair share of batter and treats. That hobby is not only invoked when there is an occasion (birthdays, etc). As for cooking, finding tasty healthful meals I want to make over and over again is kind of a fun challenge! And I make soup every weekend to take to work, because there is nothing better than some hot soup for lunch here in the winter.

Pretty much anything could stand between me and the gym. "OH, I'm already home. I've just ate. I haven't eaten yet. We might be busy later." And I've accepted that I really don't enjoy working out that much, and I think that is why most of my attempts to lose weight fail. So I'm focusing on eating first and foremost. We did get an exercise bike for the house that I use a couple times a week, but really just to balance my calories when I need it.
  • MarlaVSings
    MarlaVSings Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    No excuses really... More like ignored the problem, avoided mirrors. Kind of like, if I don't see it, it doesn't really exist.

This exactly.
  • Soufre
    Soufre Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    "I'm on my period."
    "My period's next week."
    "My period is in two weeks."
    "I just finished my period but I'm still bloated sooo..."

These are deff the lamest I came up with.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    "I guess I'm just meant to be this way."

Turns out, I'm not.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    "It's my hypothyroid"
  • FitnSassy
    FitnSassy Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I look better thicker than thinner.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Mine was this idea that I had a screwed up metabolism and therefore it didn't matter what I ate, I wouldn't lose weight.

I started to "prove" this theory when I was 16 or 17 years old and my weight first went over 200 lb quite suddenly (I was already like 180-190 beforehand). I would eat apples, canned peas, and 1 Hot Pocket or small hamburger per day for a week or two. I would weigh 241. Then I'd eat whatever my friends ate (pizza, Quarter Pounders, ice cream, candy) for a week or two and I would weigh 240. Then I wouldn't weigh myself for a year and just assume it did not matter if I ate very little or tons of food, I'd just stay the same. And honestly for me that was mostly true. It wasn't until I was in my early 30s and found myself at 307 lb that I decided enough was enough and lost 45 lb through exercising more (walking MILES nightly) and slowing my roll on the restaurant meals.

Then I found MFP and lost 63 lb over the past 10 months or so. Which is pretty cool...still going of course.
  • SephiraRose
    SephiraRose Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Healthy living is a full time job. Especially when that scale is not cooperating. Every day is another day to try your best.
  • XTSH
    XTSH Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    "I can't run because I have no stamina."

The irony is to gain stamina, I will have to start doing some form of cardio somewhere.
  • kiittenforever
    kiittenforever Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I drink too much alcohol
  • rebeccastacey91
    Options
    Excuse for not going to the gym - "Looks like it'll rain soon."
    Haha and I drive too so that was kinda invalid.
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Part was I just always thought I wasn't that big, or I was a little overweight but not a lot. I also did the whole "I eat healthy ish so it must just be the way I am". I also did a lot of cut and then binge cycles and had myself convinced that I just could not do it. And the big one was, "I would rather be fat and happy than sad and thin" Too much emotional ties to food that I needed to get over.
  • LadyGodaimee
    Options
    I didn't care and refuse to listen to others especially my parents.
    DENIAL. & thinking that one day there will be someone who loves me for me and not my appearance.
    I found him ^_^ but I want to change for myself. :3