Zombies, Run!=Major Disappointment

Options
So I heard about this app from some of you lovely MFPers and thought it sounded pretty great! I told my husband about it and both decided that it sounded like a fun way to train for a 5k and would be a fun activity for us to do together so we downloaded it! We've both been so excited to try it and finally got the opportunity to do it last night. I was so excited until we started and then... so disappointed and frustrated. :sad:

The story that was supposed to be so gripping was very lame and I really didn't feel like there was much of a story at all. It was very unclear when I was supposed to run/walk/whatever I was supposed to be doing. Most of the time there is no one narrating at all... the music from your phone kicks in (when you're supposed to be running?) but I don't have any music on my phone right now (I know, the shame) so I was running to silence. Plus no matter how hard my husband and I tried to sync our stories whenever it was time to run they would somehow get off. His running time always stopped at least a good 20 seconds before mine and then our stories would be way off again. He'd pause and we'd re-sync and then the music for him-silence for me time would throw us off again. Also I thought this was supposed to kind of ease me into running. I felt like we were running for a good 5 minutes, listening to 30 seconds of "story" then running for another 5 minutes or so. C25K starts you out running for 60 seconds and then walking for 90 seconds.

Anyway I was very frustrated by the time the whole things was done. :grumble: I've heard people say they couldn't wait to do their workout so they could continue with the story and was so wanting this to be the same experience for me but sadly has not been the case. I was so irritated that now I don't even want to give it another try. It felt pointless and like I'd be better off doing a different workout. Anyone have similar experiences? Is it just me? Does it get better? Should I give it another try or two? We started with "The Story Begins" part instead of Week 1 Day 1 so maybe the actual workouts are much better? I would have thought they'd try to really pull you in with the beginning though. Any advice or tips on how to make this app make more sense and be more enjoyable? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Replies

• Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    are you doing the c25K zomvies? or the regular zombies! Run? i havent tried the c25k yet but the regular Zombies! Run is awsome and the story is very involved and interesting. We trade off nights, once for my storyline and the next for hubby's so we listen to them twice. My teenager begs for walks every night so we can do the story for it.

Hopefully others can let you know about the c25k part, maybe it gets more interesting?
  • danagolding
    Options
    I'm pretty sure its the regular zombies, run! but maybe its not and this is the problem? I'm pretty sure it is not the C25K one, I have just done the original C25K in the past and was expecting it to be a little more like that: tell me when to walk/run, begin with shorter/easier running periods, etc. Our story line started out with us taking over to be the new runner #5 since the last one became a zombie or something like that. Does that sound familiar? How do you listen to yours? We had earbuds in and were both listening to our own but they kept getting out of sync. It'd be nice just to both listen to the same one. Also in yours is there a lot of silence/music from your phone time and little story time?
  • SrJoben
    SrJoben Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I don't actually use it, but after seeing people sing it's praises I went to the website and listened to one of the sample clips they had up. (a) abysmal audio quality (b) Horrible stilted dialog by someone who sounds bored out of their skull.

Heck I don't mind a little cheese. But seriously? If the highlight clip to draw people in is Z grade....
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it sounds like you were using the regular Zombies, Run! app and should be using the Zombies, Run C25K app.

I used the regular one for a training night when I was doing C25K. You have to start at the beginning of the story line to understand it, not sure if you did or not.

I didnt have music on my phone at the time either, but I still enjoyed it. I just pictured myself in the story. The narrator described the terrain enough for me to get the idea of what I was running through and stuff.

Hopefuly you can try the C25K app and find more of what you are looking for.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    i just got it, but haven't tried it out yet. funny how i find it entertaining enough to be told i've done x km and was this fast (or slow, more like)....
    i used to run to music, but it always threw off my pace.

maybe i'll try the zombies tonight :-)
  • Pinkranger626
    Pinkranger626 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you might have started at the beginning of season 2.... I would start at the very beginning (season 1) the story would make a bit more sense then. I haven't tried the 5k or 10k options, just the main story line. The whole thing is meant for you to run at your own pace. What I like about it is that I know based on whether I have it set to an hour or a half an hour that I'll have one or two sings to run before I can break. I wouldn't think of this app as a training anything, if you're looking for a training method I would suggest Runkeeper. I love this app because it breaks things up and takes my mind off of other stuff so I can focus on the story as well as my running form.
  • sluggz
    sluggz Posts: 134
    Options
    I bought the app and was also severely disappointed. Zombies didn't even show up until I was on the last quarter mile of a 5k run, and then the app expects me to all out sprint to get away from the zombies! The story was lame, the "game" part of it was lame, the whole thing was lame. I deleted the app after the 3rd time of trying it.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    It does sound you have the Zombie Run app not the training app. For week one you would walk 5 mins and then run 15 secs followed by 1 min walking.

I've not done the Zombie run app as only on week 5 of the 5k app. I am enjoying it more than when I did C25k but I also do have it play music for when they are not talking. The story line keeps me going.
  • Shan790
    Shan790 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I have the regular one. I love it. The stories will be off though because the music in between is one song on average so if you aren't playing the same song it will be a little different on timing.
  • lblert
    lblert Posts: 55
    Options
    On the Zombies 5K app, the story begins is not actually part of the 5K training. It's just supposed to give you the back story. There's no specific workout attached to it - it's just setting up the situation. I listened to it while walking my dogs. Once you get to the training, the narrators do cut in and tell you what to do and when to start/stop. You need music on your phone because it doesn't work with streaming music apps.

The format of the training is different than a traditional C25K. In the beginning, the running intervals are shorter and fewer than the regular C25K.
  • danagolding
    Options
    Thanks so much for the feedback everyone! I think I will just have to give it another try or two. It sounds like once I start the actual workouts instead of just the story begins it will be more fun. It also sounds like maybe hubster and I won't be able to to do the story together or at least at the exact same time with earbuds... unless maybe we both come up with an identical playlist I wonder if that would work.... Thanks again all! I'll put my frustrations aside and try it again with the workouts. Excited to try again! Worst case scenario if it sucks really bad I can just try a different app or stream some music and just run. :smile:
  • xxghost
    xxghost Posts: 4,697 Member
    Options
    I have yet to reach season two (I took some time off to focus on my C25K app), but I love season one. I also have the traditional, and I love it. I think maybe you should give it another go.
  • librarianjenne
    librarianjenne Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you're giving it another go! I enjoy this app a lot and I don't even have the chases enabled (I'm doing heartrate training and right now, they would take my heart rate too high.) Tonight I'm doing my first night run since getting the app-- I've heard it's even spookier then.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    zombies run was never designed for you to "sync" with a different runner, although I thought the timing would be the same, I think you are splitting hairs you get out of sync because it has never claimed to be used in this way. strike 1.

yes it would suck without music, but.... thats your fault. strike 2.

you tried it once, with no music and tried to use it in a way it was never designed for. strike 3.

maybe its not for you. I run by myself, and I smashed the whole of season 1 plus extra missions and I started season 2 but its too cold here so im hibernating.

probably if you run in pairs, it may not work because you will be individually doing the same thing, not running together.

to be honest I'd give it another chance, it is a great story, in the beginning it might take a few episodes to get into but once you are into it you really want to run to do your next mission.

its a great app, but yeh it doesn't sync and sucks without music. I'd give it another try, but id say it might only be suited for running alone so you don't become alienated from your running partner.
  • DarcG
    DarcG Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    hey, I cant figure out how to post my own new post.. however I learned how to reply to people and search different posts and saw yours was kinda like a work out one... Got a question for you.. I have a jillian micheals shed and shred cd. I plan on doing the full 60.. had to stop for a short bit cause my husband came home.. but my question is.. under exercise where do I submit my time?? I have typed it into both section and its saying it can not be found.. perhaps I need to word it different??? can you help me please!!!??

Also can you explain this app you are talking about? I got out side and do a 2.5 mile jog.. would like to spice it up and make it more fun... fill me in please ? :-)
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    hey, I cant figure out how to post my own new post.. however I learned how to reply to people and search different posts and saw yours was kinda like a work out one... Got a question for you.. I have a jillian micheals shed and shred cd. I plan on doing the full 60.. had to stop for a short bit cause my husband came home.. but my question is.. under exercise where do I submit my time?? I have typed it into both section and its saying it can not be found.. perhaps I need to word it different??? can you help me please!!!??

Also can you explain this app you are talking about? I got out side and do a 2.5 mile jog.. would like to spice it up and make it more fun... fill me in please ? :-)

You won't find the cd under cardio, search for "circuit training" under cardio and log it under that. The app everyone here is referring to is called "Zombies, run". I got it for $5 on my android phone, I imagine same price regardless of if you use android or ipod or whatever. Haven't tried it out myself yet.
  • yogayug
    yogayug Posts: 15
    Options
    It does sound you have the Zombie Run application not the preparation application. For week one you might walk 5 mins then after that run 15 secs accompanied by 1 min strolling. http://www.yogayug.com/
  • BSRjogger
    BSRjogger Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    If you enjoy Zombies, Run! I highly recommend the BattleSuit Runner Fitness app for entertainment while getting fit! There is a brief video trailer that tells more about the game here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeoGMyUDNVA
  • SwampWitch666
    SwampWitch666 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I just heard about this app recently, I really want to try it out. I've heard a lot of great things. Occasional hiccups and glitches, but I'll always expect that from any electronics. Seems like trying to synch up with someone /would/ be frustrating though. Glad I'm a bit of a loner when it comes to this sort of thing. :'D
  • Chewbacca262
    Options
    I've been using the game for about a month.
    It's a nice change of pace since I mostly listen to audiobooks when I run.

Currently, my set up is to link Zombie Run to Runkeeper and then link Runkeeper to MFP to record my Zombie training.

Currently, it's on sale for the Android at least.

BTW- I'm new to this place and run almost daily to try and lose a few more pounds. Anyone interested in some motivation- just invite me as a friend.