Night owls?

Options
Any other night owls out there?

Due to work schedules, my husband and I are total night owls. We usually go to bed between 4-5am. We still get 8 hours of sleep, and wake up by noon. We still make the most of our 'days', even though everyone else is sleeping. I'm at the beginning of my lifestyle change. 22 days ago I started counting calories, eating healthier food, a regular exercise routine, and I'm doing my best to structure my eating habit like a normal day, dispite the odd times. Breakfast at Noon, lunch at 6 and dinner no later than midnight. I used to skip breakfast and binge all evening, which helped me reach the wretched weight I'm at now. I'm just wondering if there are any other night owls out there who might have tips or advice on how they adjust their late-night habits to help with weight loss.

Cheers!
Kelsey

Replies

• tcat100
    tcat100 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I work nights and it does play havoc with weight loss. However, I have found it is still best to eat breakfast whatever time that would be for you. Try and put your higher calories and carbs at the start of your day and wean down. This way you can burn it off.
  • wannakimmy
    wannakimmy Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I work 3rd shift, 10pm to 7am so I know what you are going through. My best advice is to eat normal... Breakfast when you wake up, then lunch midday and dinner later. You still need your 3 meals a day. I try to plan my meals ahead so I'm not grabbing something last minute that may put me over my calorie limit. I log it early as well. If I don't eat something I pack for work, I can always uncheck it from my food diary. Continue to log your calories and try to stay with your exercise program and enjoy watching the weight fall off!
    Good Luck on your journey!
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I work 12 hour shifts at night and I flip back to a "daytime" schedule on my days off, so I am eating at all kinds of weird hours. I just set my diary up in blocks of time instead of by breakfast lunch and dinner. I just log it whenever I am going to eat it. I think it just matters that you get it all in there...not so much what time of day you eat it.
  • PuckBunny1919
    Options
    Hello :)

I'm a night owl as well. My fiancé works during the day. I'm new to the area of where I live and made friends at work, however I just received a promotion and I'm not really allowed to hang out with coworkers. I had a desk job when I first started and gained a large amount of weight.

One thing I'm trying to do is go to the gym at midnight and hopefully meet some new friends there that share the same interest of wanting to get healthy. I barely have time to eat during my shift, because of the running around that I do now.

I would love some tips as well and feel free to add me :)

-Terri
  • MegJo
    MegJo Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I know I'm nearly two weeks behind but I'm a night owl too! I've had lots of success on this site when I became friends with people sharing similar life styles! I work 2nd shift in a communications center. The hardest part for me is the sitting constantly and adjusting my eating schedule if I have to adjust to a day shift!

What made the biggest difference for me was planning out my food diary when I woke up. I';ll add everything in and then use it as a guide through out the day. if I'm hungry I look at my diary and see what I have left and it forces me to choose if I'm actually hungry and want to eat it or if I'm just bored.

So much harder for us night owls!