Fresh veggies!

Options
So I am working on eating more fresh vegetables and I am at a loss for how to fix them. Does anyone have any tips on anything? There are some types of veggies that I have never tried (ex. brussel sprouts, asparagus, egg plant) But I am willing to give it a try... Maybe lol. I am also okay with frozen ones. I'm trying to stay away from canned things even though some are unavoidable. Any tips on how to make them taste better is greatly appreciated!

Replies

• SouthPawSings
    SouthPawSings Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I've noticed steamed veggies taste awesome! Brussel sprouts, asparagus, and most other veggies I've had have most of the time been boiled, but if you can steam them, they keep more nutrients than boiled. Try to keep an open mind about them, I know asparagus is an acquired taste, I enjoy it now but at first it was hard to deal with. As long as brussel sprouts are cooked all the way through they are good. I haven't tried egg plant either I don't know how to cook it. XD squash is another good veggie, I like to bake them.
  • Sunitagt
    Sunitagt Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    allrecipes.com and look up roasted <insert veggie name> for some great general recipes. I love throwing a handful of squash, spinach, onion etc into my eggs and cooking it down on the stove, or roasting cauliflower. DH makes great bacon brussels sprouts. Tons of ways out there, just start collecting recipes!
  • JessicaSunflower
    JessicaSunflower Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I like to cut up green beans, mushrooms, and onions.. spray a little "pam" on them and sauté them up.. So good and only 100 calories! Also, I cut up strawberries and put them in my yogurt. My all time favorite is cut up tomatoes, cucumbers and onion and shake it up in a container with garlic powder & pepper.. yummmmm!
  • fayefayee5
    fayefayee5 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I ADORE brussel sprouts. I but the little red picsweet boxes of them for $1, I think its like 120 cals per box, and they are in a yummy butter sauce. They are an acquired taste, my hubby despises both the taste and smell, but i love em!

I take baby fresh carrots to work often for snacks, with some hummus or cucumber dip. Zucchini I LOVE! I roast it in thin slices with salt and pepper until its lightly browned.
  • spence1022
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Haha being from the south, anytime I think of squash I think fried, but I have had it steamed and it's pretty good. I'll have to give some of these things a try!
  • 1two3four
    1two3four Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Roast your veggies!

Preheat your oven.

Cut them into even sized pieces, (I dunno golf ballish, maybe half that), oil them a little bit and salt them if you like. Roast them somewhere between 375 F and 425 F until nice and browned and tender. Shake your sheet pan every now and then so they cook evenly. If they're browning too fast turn the heat down. Uhh... if you do garlic leave it in the papery skin while you roast it.

Am I forgetting anything?

Things that you might not think to roast, brussels sprouts and radish. Umm... I think you can pretty much roast anything though and it's DELICIOUS!! MMM...
  • Mrscanmore
    Mrscanmore Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    I've never been an asparagus fan, but over the past year, I've started eating it. I really like it roasted in the oven. Break off the ends, put on a cookie sheet, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with coarse salt, add pressed or chopped garlic. Cook in the oven.
  • frangrann
    frangrann Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Grilled asparagus with olive oil, pepper and a pinch of salt
    Mashed cauliflower....make it like mashed potatoes add a few cloves of garlic to the water when cooking the cauliflower
    Baked acorn squash...add a bit of butter, brown sugar and cinnamon
    Tomatoes and mozzarella cheese balls with garlic, salt, pepper and olive oil
  • arl1286
    arl1286 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I love veggies! I'm a big fan of pan frying onions, peppers, mushrooms, zucchini, eggplant, and cherry tomatoes, and then either adding balsamic vinegar or basil, and then topping with goat cheese.
  • shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I roast a lot of vegetables - I am actually on a brussell sprouts kick, I do it with radishes as well - you can roast literally any vegetable - celery, peppers, zucchini, squash, tomatoes

I'm pretty basic with the seasoning, salt and pepper usually work for me

Occasionally I will use cajun seasoning or onion/garlic powder, italian seasoning - just whatever falls in my hand from the seasoning cabinet

salt I would tell you to be careful with as some vegetables shrink when roasted (zucchini/squash) and you can always add more salt later on if needed

you can pretty much google it and tons of recipes come up - most call for added oil - I do mine with out it but it is whatever works for your tastes
  • SrJoben
    SrJoben Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of asparagus.

It's hard to do it better than pan fried in butter or oil. Though that may not be on everyone's diet. It's pretty good steamed or boiled too.

Some frozen asparagus turns out stringy and squishy when it's cooked. It's supposed to be fairly crisp. If that's your first experience with it don't let that turn you off. Try another brand or get it fresh. Also the smaller shoots tend to be the most tender.

I think it goes pretty well with anything, but steak, asparagus, mashed potatoes and red wine has to be one of the best meals in the world.
  • shazbox1
    shazbox1 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I usually just steam asparagus and brussel sprouts. The only time I have had eggplant is in eggplant parmigiana.

Steamed asparagus, some roasted potatoes and a steak, all with some bernaise sauce, mmmmm.
  • writergeek313
    writergeek313 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I spent most of my life thinking I hated Brussels sprouts because the only ones I'd ever had were frozen steamed ones. I found out a few years ago that I love them roasted. If you have the calories to spare, they're especially good roasted with a little chopped bacon.

Almost any veggie is great roasted. I put mine on a foil-lined cookie sheet and toss with a little salt and about a tablespoon of olive oil, then I roast them for 45 minutes to an hour at 425, stirring a few times so they don't burn. You had add other spices depending on what you're serving them with. For instance, I'm making cauliflower to go with an Indian dish today, so I'm going to put some curry powder on it. A few weeks ago I had some parsnips leftover from another recipe, and I roasted those along with some carrots. I couldn't believe how sweet and nutty and amazing they got.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    bump
  • berniegarcia75
    Options
    i sautee them on the stove with a little olive oil or soy sauce, I've seasoned and roasted them in the oven, or steamed them in my rice cooker. Usually I buy the microvave bags/steamer's and just do it that way, they taste just as great. If you cook Okra on the stove or boil it, do not do it more than 3 minutes, it can get slimy.
  • berniegarcia75
    Options
    You should also try and look up Spaghetti Squash if you have never had it, great replacement for pasta and tons of recipes for it! It's actually very tasty