Antidepressants and weight gain

Options
2»

Replies

• tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Lyrica caused tremendous weight gain for me. To the point that I went off of it. I don't think I was really eating more, either.
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I was on antidepressants for a year. (a number of years ago) I gained a massive amount of weight (I don't even remember eating that much) Lost my personality, ironically lost interest in things that had once interested me. (so was basically showing all the signs of major depression even though my mood was at an even keel) When I went off them the withdrawl was CRAZY and frightening.

unless you're really really in a bad way I recommend trying less harmful methods of mood elevation. Vitamins exercise maybe st johns wort..
  • Ksh1055
    Ksh1055 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I am also on antidepressants and have been for about 8 years as a result of two breakdowns in a two-year period. My main issues are anxiety and major depression. I also gained a tremendous amount of weight, even though a male in my immediate family was on Zoloft and didn't gain an ounce. Our activity levels were miles apart - his were high and I didn't have any. My Dr. told me it all had to do with the degree of anxiety and depression along with how each individuals' brain and body chemistry react to certain pharmaceuticals.

I went through several combinations until I am now down to Wellbutrin XL, Celexa and Valium. I will never again have the personality I used to - very funny, trusting and outgoing, but this combination does help me maintain and does give allow some of my old humor to come out.

After 8 years of being extremely overweight (never been prior to that) and a lot of extensive research, I am about to undergo Gastric Sleeve surgery on February 5th. It is a 360 degree lifestyle change, but I have been unable to lose the weight through any other source (i.e., prescription Diet Pills, exercise). This is not the easy way out for me, in fact has been the hardest decision I've ever had to make. I strongly believe this will not only vastly improve my quality of life, but will give back some of the self-confidence and energy I used to have. It may also decrease or even eliminate some of the health issues I currently have.
  • SoftHeat
    Options
    I started taking Wellbutrin & Zoloft for anxiety & depression. I still have normal levels of hunger, but I don't really have an appetite so I tend not to overeat. Plus, I actually feel like doing things so now I am more active.

In short, they haven't caused me to gain weight.
  • red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    I am on Zoloft and have had no side effects with weight gain, either from the pill or enjoying food more from being in a better mental state. Being on Anti- Depressants actually helps me lose weight because I am in a better mood and therefore am able to stay motivated longer and therefore not get derailed as easily. I would suggest just trying to stick to your calories as best you can and research filling foods that you can incorporate into your diet. I have also heard that brushing your teeth when you feel like needlessly eating help.
  • FIREBALL777
    Options
    Magnesium deficiency A lack of dietary magnesium below specified levels, which can result in numerous symptoms and conditions. this can generally be remedied by an alteration of diet or oral supplements. however intravenous supplementation is necessary for more severe cases.
    Depression Severe despondency and dejection, typically felt over a period of time and accompanied by feelings of hopelessness and inadequacy
    Stress Cause mental or emotional strain or tension in
    Anxiety disorder A blanket term covering several different forms of abnormal .

when i started taking magnesium for anxiety and depression i felt a lot better .
  • bonnymom
    bonnymom Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I am on Zoloft and have had no side effects with weight gain, either from the pill or enjoying food more from being in a better mental state. Being on Anti- Depressants actually helps me lose weight because I am in a better mood and therefore am able to stay motivated longer and therefore not get derailed as easily. I would suggest just trying to stick to your calories as best you can and research filling foods that you can incorporate into your diet. I have also heard that brushing your teeth when you feel like needlessly eating help.

↑↑ This.

I am also on Zoloft and had no side effects except the ability to actually lose weight because I'm in a better mental state.
  • Jaine2014
    Options
    I was on antidepressants and all it did was add 35kg to me...
    Hense why im a rolly polly now :(
  • crazyvermont
    crazyvermont Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Due to high stress job, I was prescribed clonazapam for nerves, anxiety, and depression and put on weight even though working out daily. Discussed with scientist in pharmaceutical industry and he claimed weight wasn't directly related to drug itself; rather, adjustments our body made ie I wasn'tt as nervous, so tended to eat more at meals etc. I weaned myself off and have went to more natural relaxants such as nutmeg in green tea and weight has dropped while anxiety and nerves have stabilized
  • Dr_Val
    Options
    I take antidepressants, mood stabilizers, and anti anxiety medications. One of the reasons I am using MyFitnessPal is to get better control of my lifestyle to help stop the massive weight gain I have had. My lifestyle has not changed much in the five years I have been taking these medications to treat bipolar disorder and PTSD, but my weight has gone up by 130lbs....again...that's in five years and nothing has changed except I started taking medications. Unfortunately, my lifestyle was not healthy to begin with, so I was already overweight. Not much, but overweight none the less. It's almost as if these medications completely halted my metabolism. My doctor told me losing weight would be harder than it is for others because of my medications, but it is completely doable.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I was on antidepressants and all it did was add 35kg to me...
    Hense why im a rolly polly now :(

No that would have been eating more, not from being on them. The medication itself does not ad calories to your body :flowerforyou:
  • MissLucyDee
    MissLucyDee Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Seems unlikely to be the antidepressants that are causing weight gain - more likely to be the depression. Anti-depressants don't tend to kick in until 3 weeks after you start taking them.
  • whovian67
    whovian67 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Analyze this after 21 days in your system...
  • whovian67
    whovian67 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Analyze this after 21 days in your system...there are things that go along with antidepressants.. like close monitoring by a psychaitrist and talking with a psychologist... the pills alone in 5 days will not cause a weight gain. At least not that I've seen in teh psych world in the past 24 years.