can i use dumbbells for stronglifts?

Options
i did have a barbell but during our move it got lost along with a box of plated weights :sad: i cant afford more now, buti do have a box of dumbbells with weight from 4-40 pounds. i started stronglifts last week and was wondering if i can use dumbbells in place of a barbell.

Replies

• jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    When I first started lifting, I had to use dumbbells for squats because I was too weak to even lift an empty barbell ... I don't see why you couldn't use them. Obviously, there's a weight limit of max 80 lbs with what you have, but in the meantime, sounds like a good plan
  • pasunejeunefille
    Options
    I'd like an answer to this too.
  • jardimgirl
    jardimgirl Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    ty
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    It's going to be better than nothing.

As ever, I'd suggest keeping an eye out on local second hand places - can often get a bar and plates pretty cheap.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    If you go to the search feature and type in Stronglifts 5x5 using dumbbells, you will get a lot of information on the program. Personally, I can't imagine using dumbbells. The purpose of SL is to build muscle, not endurance. Weight progression is necessary. Adding at least 5pounds to workouts each week would mean you would run out of weights pretty quickly.

After you read the links in the search - you may find a better program suited to dumbbells. Good luck.
  • Frank_Just_Frank
    Frank_Just_Frank Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Of course you can use them...for now. When you get to a point you want to go heavy, you'll need to get a new barbell but there's no reason you can't use that for now.