back ache

Options
since i started exercising my back hurts more than normal (i injured my back a few years ago) any idea what i should do to help with the new pain or will that go away after a bit

Replies

• Dlibo1013
    Dlibo1013 Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    stretch, stretch and stretch some more
  • Natural
    Natural Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    what exercises are you doing? i also exercise with back pain and go to a chiro. icing helps - not sure what you're doing though. are you lifting weights or regular cardio?
  • LadyLisa1313
    Options
    I just started on an elliptical and i do a lot of walking for my job. I do stretch as much as i can but my back is incredibly stiff due to arthritis
  • doggiemomma
    Options
    I have noticed that the days I use the elliptical that my back kills me.
  • Natural
    Natural Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I just started on an elliptical and i do a lot of walking for my job. I do stretch as much as i can but my back is incredibly stiff due to arthritis

i have arthritis too and other back problems. hmmm, well the advice that has been given me is:

stretch after your workout (back stretches) - yoga/pilates actually helped me.
    strengthen your core muscles (ab work if you can)
    ice your back after a workout
    and use an anti-inflammatory if need be
    cross train until you feel better

go to a doctor to be sure it's nothing else. i SWEAR by my chiropractor. he's a freaking magician. feel better.
  • mrayniak
    Options
    I actually had to stop using an elliptical because it irritated my back (I have a bulged disk in my lower back). When I have tried to bring back the elliptical I can feel my back getting really tight so I can only stay on for about 15 min.