Just don't call me a foodie

Options
I have a bit of an obsession with food. I have a food processor (and a spiralizer, and a copper based stainless steel saute pan that is like a fourth child after my three cats) and know how to use it. I love a good chef's tasting. I talk about food while I'm eating food. I'm That Girl who posts pictures of her food on Instagram and checks her feed 1000 times a day too see pictures of food posted by other people. I rate meals on how likely I am to remember them when I'm in a nursing home sucking my dinner through a straw. But I'm not a snob. Take out Chinese is always better from the little neighborhood stores where you hand them your money around a one-inch thick slab of plexiglass, and I'll dine in a diner just as happily as one of them fancy joints where they crumb the table before dessert.

I resisted MFP for a long time because I always found that counting calories and macros is a pain when you cook from scratch. But like everyone told me, it's easy to do here, so here I am.

I'd like to lose about 25-30 pounds, and I recently (as in a week ago) started experimenting with IIFYM (so I'm very bad it right now). My gym habits haven't been the greatest for awhile, but I'm working on that, too. When I go, I prefer to pick up heavy things, and I really want to get going on the Stronglifts 5x5 program along with some cardio and maybe a boxing class.

Anyhow, I like being motivated, so please feel free to friend me and leave insulting comments on my page so I can show you how wrong you are. Or, you know, be positive. I hear that works too.

Replies

• mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    i'm a massive foodie. Have been a cook too. We should be friends. Why don't you like to be called a foodie?
  • vniemo2
    vniemo2 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Guilty a charged, big foodie, work for the biggest food supplier in North America. Also live on a street named after a bakery food. I get to snack on a lot of different foods, at hole in the wall dives to the finest restaurants and country clubs.
  • Kupe
    Kupe Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I would consider myself a foodie, after working in hotel and restaurant kitchens around the world for more than 20 years. However I hate the term, I just like food, when it is well made and tasty. I have worked in places where the design on the plate was more important than the taste and visa vresa.
    Not in the kitchen anymore so the only people to get to eat my food is the family.
  • happydayworking
    Options
    foodie connotation does lean towards snobby I suppose and obviously you are not. I love love love my food. I really didn't know how good food was until I started to try and lose pounds. The very first time I started dieting I lost my taste for Taco Bell.... yikes that says a lot about what's good when you mindlessly stuff your face. I'd love to friend you so I can check out some of your healthy recipes. If I couldn't cook I'd never be fit.
  • establishingaplace
    establishingaplace Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!
  • seashell709
    seashell709 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    i love food and love cooking. You can add me if you would like. My pinterest boards are all recipes to try...some good and some bad
  • pistachiopeas
    pistachiopeas Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way. I have a wall of cookbooks and the specialized equipment. I am a bit stressed right now about keeping up my deep interest in food while counting calories. It's so much more work to do so when you are making everything from scratch. Grr.