NO FRUITS/VEGETABLES!!!!!!

Options

Replies

• Marcia315
    Marcia315 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I don't understand being afraid of Trying a new food. It's not like it will kill you.

Tastes change over the years, you may find you like something you hated as a kid. I used to HATE Brussels sprouts. I now think they are wonderful.

Go to the produce aisle and pick a few fruits.

Try roasting broccoli with olive oil and Parmesan cheese.

Try a small bottle of juice.

It's just food. Nothing to get worked up over.
  • AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    If you're good with cheese then try boiling up some cauliflower and melting cheese over the top of it...it's like a match made in heaven. Then when/if you like that then add some brocolli to the mix! Try making your own tomato sauces for your pasta and adding finely chopped carrots, onions, cabbage etc :-))
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mt3x6uF1Df1sfwumuo1_500.gif
  • jiggerscat
    jiggerscat Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think you would do much better to start trying some fruits and vegetables until you find some you like. Then add them to what you are eating. Try even two servings a day, then in a few weeks add another. If you juice, you loose all of the fiber, so you aren't getting filled up. This means you will drink the juice (very high calorie), then you will still want to eat junk on top. Tastes change based on what you are eating, just force it, until you like it.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    "What's fruits and vegetables doing in this refrigerator? NO FRUITS/VEGETABLES!!!!! EVER!!!!"

tumblr_leqp6cfXV51qc4cp9o1_500.gif
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Thank you....So would you recommend juicing, as long as I add vegs/fruits together? OR smoothies

In the event this thread is not what it appears...
    I have a juicer and a blender so make both. However, for weight loss a smoothie is superior in my opinion because it retains the natural fibre of the fruits and vegetables used. Fibre aids in digestion and weight loss. There are a lot of great recipes for either. If you want to make either lower calorie, make sure you add in vegetables. If you need to increase your protein, add protein powder to smoothies. A smoothie can also be turned into homemade ice cream if you have an ice cream maker. I don't recommend using juice or smoothies as a meal replacement though and you do want to watch the ingredients so they aren't too high in calories.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I have not eaten fruits or vegetables ever! I know sounds crazy.....I have been this way all my life, nor do I eat meats (except chicken) or seafood. I mostly eat breads/pasta and junk food.......... So now I want to try juicing, can anyone tell me anything about juicing? I am nervous because if the taste is not good, I may not drink it..................

Forget the juicing for now, buy small amounts of fruits and veg you haven't tried (there is an amazing selection available) and try cooking/ serving them in ways you haven't tried.

Bet you find some combination you enjoy
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    This sounds about right. In.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    They tried everything....from thats all your going to eat, whipping, and etc...NOTHING worked.....my younger son (4 years) is the same way....He has tried oranges and peaches, but he will not get the fruits or vegetables.....
    They couldn't have done very well with the thats all your getting thing, since you obviiously ate and it apparently wasn't healthy food at any point.

Anywho... as well as trying all different types of vege, try them in different ways to, they can taste totally different depending on how they are cooked. You are bound to find some things you actually really like, and for the rest you will just have to suck it up for you and your sons sake.
  • LexiMelo
    LexiMelo Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    If you've never eaten fruits or vegetables (I don't know how that is possible!), then juicing wouldn't be my first choice. How about you start by adding one fruit and vegetable to your day? Then, you can build from there.
    Good luck!
    +1
    Also, if you roast the vegetables they are usually tastier.
  • Cakewalk25
    Cakewalk25 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I don't get how you haven't gotten scurvy yet. Do you take vitamins?
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    I can't even understand this. I grow wonderful heirloom, organic vegetables and buy fruit ( grow my own blackberries and strawberries).... roasted root vegetables with chive butter, curried parsnips, steamed fresh broccoli, cauliflower puree with butter and herbs, big red sweet peppers stuffed with ground beef, garlic, wild rice, carmelized onions, and coarse pepper, roasted homegrown golden potatoes and sunchokes, steamed fennel bulbs with broccoli, steamed green beans with onion, mushrooms and cashews, salad of spring mix (mesclun) with sliced almonds, chopped swiss cheese and fresh strawberries, spiced golden beets roasted with butter, my god, nothing is better than fresh vegetables, especially with artisan bread and rare beef steak!
  • teenyjem
    teenyjem Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of fruits and veg that are actually sweet enough to taste not good for you - sweet potatoes, oranges, apples, grapes. These might be enough to 'trick' your body into thinking they are not 'good for you' and start you on the road of consuming them regularly. I would suggest once you get into the swing of having things like salad and veg and mash and such, you jazz it up with the likes of coriander and chives and oregano and chilli and garlic - seasonings are a huge thing for me. Saves a lot of calories in sauces and marinades and makes every meal taste a little different.

I didnt even taste brocolli til I was 16 - thinking i wouldnt like it, but was a visitor at my then-boyfriends house, so i made myself eat it - and I LOVED IT! Give things a chance. If you didnt like it, try again, but cook another way. I dont like boiled things, but love steamed or roasted versions - the taste changes completely. Dont season with things like salt until you have tasted it either.

Now too, I much prefer fresh to frozen. OOOOh, I love veg, Nom nom nom!

PS - the textures in things sometimes really make the difference - you don't need to ruin these experiences by blending things together. Nothing beats that sharpness of an apple or grape, or a lovely ripe melon or mango that your teeth just sink into.
  • NessaWilde
    NessaWilde Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I knew a guy like this, he never ate fruits or vegetables. He was overweight, always had acne, his hair was falling out, he stank and his teeth were rotting. But he was alive and he was living functionally
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    GIVE JUICING A TRY/WHAT HAVE YOU GOT TO LOSE!!!!!!
  • sarahenagy
    sarahenagy Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    What about sneaking them into recipes? When we were first married, my husband was adamantly opposed to many veggies for seemingly no good reason and I had to sneak them in. He honestly never knew until several years later.

Some things I do to sneak them in...

I make this mac and cheese: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ellie-krieger/macaroni-and-4-cheeses-recipe.html
    I grind up onions, spinach, and bell peppers to a paste in my food processor then mix it in with ground turkey and make turkey burger patties and meatballs out of it.
    With a really good marinara and meatball I can sneak spaghetti squash past him.
    I buy Ronzoni Garden Delight Pasta.
    I put a healthy handful of spinach or kale into smoothies - mixed in with a banana and frozen berries it's not noticeable at all.
    I make this chili: http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/slow-cooker-vegetarian-chili-with-sweet-potatoes-00000000049528/ (they aren't really hidden in this one, but it's so delicious nobody notices it's vegetable based).
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    It frustrates me that people only want to change their diets if it tastes good. You can eat food that doesn't taste great and lose weight, or you can keep eating junk food and die young and fat.

Or you can eat healthy, delicious food and lose weight, look and feel great. To repeat:.... roasted root vegetables with chive butter, curried parsnips, steamed fresh broccoli, cauliflower puree with butter and herbs, big red sweet peppers stuffed with ground beef, garlic, wild rice, carmelized onions, and coarse pepper, roasted homegrown golden potatoes and sunchokes, steamed fennel bulbs with broccoli, steamed green beans with onion, mushrooms and cashews, salad of spring mix (mesclun) with sliced almonds, chopped swiss cheese and fresh strawberries, spiced golden beets roasted with butter, my god, nothing is better than fresh vegetables, especially with artisan bread and rare beef steak!
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    GIVE JUICING A TRY/WHAT HAVE YOU GOT TO LOSE!!!!!!

Fiber?
  • buchanan700
    Options
    Force yourself, to be blunt. I am a recovering extremely fussy eater, so I feel your pain. I love fruit but I used to hate, hate, hate vegetables.

Now I have at least a 1/3 of the plate in mixed vegetables for dinner everyday. (sweetcorn/peas/carrot). I don't love it, but have a system. I divide the 'nice' portion of the plate (i.e. the meat!) and divide the veggies. I reward myself one section of good stuff per section of vegetables.

Good luck, you can do it!
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I have not eaten fruits or vegetables ever! I know sounds crazy.....I have been this way all my life, nor do I eat meats (except chicken) or seafood. I mostly eat breads/pasta and junk food.......... So now I want to try juicing, can anyone tell me anything about juicing? I am nervous because if the taste is not good, I may not drink it..................

Forget the juicing for now, buy small amounts of fruits and veg you haven't tried (there is an amazing selection available) and try cooking/ serving them in ways you haven't tried.

Bet you find some combination you enjoy

^^ this! Everyone has their own likes and dislikes so you have to find out for yourself. I hate kale but I do throw a leaf into a smoothie to hide the taste. Love persimmons - they are like a cross between an apple and a tomato. I can eat blackberries like popcorn. Can't stand most leafy greens. So you'll likely have varying tastes too.