any marathoners out there?

Options
I run around 5-6 miles every time I go for a run and hesitate on going past that due to some knee problems (left one specifically). There's a half marathon that I want to complete in a couple of months and wanted to know if a.) this was even a feasible task and b.) what kind of training I would need to be doing. I've completed a half marathon...nine years ago, lol. I'd also like to run the LA Marathon this year, so same questions apply for a full marathon. Thanks!

Replies

• amg_89
    amg_89 Posts: 184
    Options
    If you are up to 6 miles fairly regularly, you can definitely do a half marathon in a couple of months! I would start taking fish oil supplements if it's a joint issue with your knee. Those work amazingly well. I have aches and pains when I run distance too, so taking a few ibuprofen an hour or so before you go out will help. Just add one long day a week to your regular running schedule. So one day a week, run 8 miles, then the next week make it 9, and so on. Good luck!
  • Craig772
    Craig772 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I've done a few half marathons and get achey knees. I try to run cross country when I can as even over rocky terrain I don't get the knee pain I get when running the streets. Unfortunately running the streets is sometimes the only way to get the miles in. I've found Cod LIver oli and Glucosamiine to be really helpful. In terms of miles I trained up to 9 miles max once per week then 5 miles twice a week and didn't find a problem with the half marathon.

Good luck.
  • aliciamille
    Options
    your knee pain also might be due to not having the proper shoes :) go get analyzed at any running store if you havent done so.

you can easily finish a full marathon if you're training at a level where you can run 5-6 miles easily. I'd try Hal Higdon's beginner level marathon training. That got me to my first marathon....ive done 4 :) You can do it!