Is this a healthy breakfast?

Options
Are bran flakes healthy?
I love Special K. However it's packed full of sugar. I like the texture of special K and they look like branflakes...so might give them a go if they are healthy :]

Replies

• tawny7
    tawny7 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Not sure about Bran Flakes but I love Special K Protein Plus.
  • lefrance12
    Options
    Not bad for you.. Just fiber which we need and dont get mostly.. No biggy, healthy in that sense and not much other.
  • Amerann
    Options
    Bran flakes have a lot of fiber so the carbs in them have the stick-to it-ness you need to get thru alot of exercise plus the fiber's good for your system
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Cereal isn't unhealthy, but it's all carbs and they burn up within 1-2 hours of eating. So your body ends up needing more fuel before lunch time. And since cereal is fairly high cal when you consider what you get from it, I don't eat it for breakfast. I find that making a quick breakfast burrito with 1 egg, some hash browns, beans, a little cheese and sour cream, fills me up for hours, allows me to have enough energy for a work out at the gym and has only about 100 more calories than a bowl of cereal (2 servings of cereal plus 1/2 cup of milk).
  • wittlemunchkinx
    Options
    I like cereals for breakfast as I'm not a big eater when I wake up!

Currently I've had Shredded wheat and weetabix but I got bored!

I do sometimes have boiled eggs. And when I am really hungry beans on toast.
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Honestly, anything with gluten in it (found in wheat, barely, rye, etc) isn't as healthy as the Government's Food Pyramid makes it out to be. Get the rawest and most organic form of Bran Flakes you can find.
  • lupuslady
    Options
    I only eat cereal if it has fruit on it like a banana or some blueberries. I hate milk, so it is always in the bottom of the bowl. I really do not eat flaky cereal either, mini shredded wheat or cheerios I like the crunch in cereal. But one of my favorite breakfast choices is blueberyy waffles, I do not use syrup I like to eat them like cookies, warm and yummy.
    They last me a long time, and if I am extra hungry I eat a peice of fruit, or chunks of pineapple.
  • YogiGirlLucy
    Options
    Honestly, anything with gluten in it (found in wheat, barely, rye, etc) isn't as healthy as the Government's Food Pyramid makes it out to be. Get the rawest and most organic form of Bran Flakes you can find.

I whole heartedly agree with this statement. Gluten/wheat is not your friend! I gave it up three years ago and never looked back.