Is it really all or nothing?

Options
I'm torn. I really, really, REALLY badly want to achieve my fitness goals. The only problem is, I really, really REALLY enjoy cooking and eating, and not always the good healthy low calorie stuff. Oh and did I mention, I like beer and wine too?

I don't want to live my life never enjoying these foods again, but I do want to reach my goals. I want a happy medium, and I really think I can do it. Every time I go to a restaurant to eat, I allow myself to have whatever I feel like. This happens at the very most, once a week. Otherwise, I cook everything at home. Do I enjoy my mashed potatoes with butter and cream? OH yes! But oddly enough, I don't like butter on vegetables such as carrots, baked potatoes, green beans, etc. I don't like ice cream either, lol!

I guess what I'm getting at here, is I really don't crave sweets, desserts, things like that, but I don't want to give up my faves. Has anyone reached their goals, and maintained the weight, but still enjoyed their favorite foods?

L.

Replies

• ChubbieTubbie
    ChubbieTubbie Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I've lost 24 pounds since September and I eat everything that I love (aka, what I used to eat), except that I eat it in moderation and I exercise. I know I can't give up soda, potatoes, chocolate, bread, whatever for the rest of my life, so I've taught myself how to control portion sizes and stay within a calorie budget even with the foods I enjoy.
  • Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone could say that they completely restrict things from their diet. If you really want something, have it. Just make sure to include this in your allowed calories. Have a smaller portion. If you're still hungry eat more veggies, a salad, drink more water.
  • xxthursday09xx
    xxthursday09xx Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I've noticed when I complain or whatever just to get it out of my system, people look at my diary and are like "stop eating out, lower your sodium...blah blah blah" Well the whole reason I started this was so I could eat what I wanted to! Of course that means, you will lose the weight slower. In my opinion, no, it doesn't have to be all or nothing. You just have to make up for what you are going over with exercise. So you have to find YOUR balance of food and exercise. No matter what kind of food you like. Look at my diary. I friggin' love food. And it's really hard for me to eat healthy. But if I am eating bad food. I eat less of it. If I want more. I workout and get more calories to eat :). I hope this helps!
  • kgs0201
    kgs0201 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    i haven't reached my goal yet but I've lose 10 lbs and changed only little things... the biggest change I've made is my portion sizes. I'm just more mindful of how much I eat, rather than what I eat. Calories in... calories out :-)... but i agree with you - I'm not cutting out foods and saying I'll never eat them again. That is just setting myself up for failure! I like my foods!
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    This is a lifestyle change, you can't do it all in one go. It's a step by step, meal by meal, day by day process that gets easier every day :)
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I lose at least 1 pound a week and I have 1 or 2 off days a week. On the weekends I don't go to the gym and I don't worry about sticking to my calorie goal too much. (I've actually found that I have to eat a little more than my MFP calorie goal in order to lose more weight. But that's just how my body works.) This is definitely a lifestyle change, not just a means to quick weight loss. So being able to have the foods we love is an integral part of our success. So give in when you need to as long as your good most of the time.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I've noticed when I complain or whatever just to get it out of my system, people look at my diary and are like "stop eating out, lower your sodium...blah blah blah" Well the whole reason I started this was so I could eat what I wanted to! Of course that means, you will lose the weight slower.

You can't have it both ways. You can't eat fast food all the time and then complain that your weight loss is happening slower than you'd like. People aren't going to be sympathetic when you aren't putting out more effort to live healthier.
  • a1schwei
    a1schwei Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I've noticed when I complain or whatever just to get it out of my system, people look at my diary and are like "stop eating out, lower your sodium...blah blah blah" Well the whole reason I started this was so I could eat what I wanted to! Of course that means, you will lose the weight slower. In my opinion, no, it doesn't have to be all or nothing. You just have to make up for what you are going over with exercise. So you have to find YOUR balance of food and exercise. No matter what kind of food you like. Look at my diary. I friggin' love food. And it's really hard for me to eat healthy. But if I am eating bad food. I eat less of it. If I want more. I workout and get more calories to eat :). I hope this helps!

i totally agree :) i like food...i like being thin almost as much as i like food...if i want to eat something 'bad' i just workout harder...admittedly my weight loss has been slower because i still indulge in my favorite foods but i have still lost weight and i am confident that i will be able to keep it off because i never denied myself anything in order to lose the weight...i agree that it is all about finding a balance :)
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    I've hardly made any changes to my diet...only portion size.

So no, its not all or nothing, very few people can stick to an all or nothing diet so why set yourself up for a fall
  • LMRoses
    LMRoses Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    HI there! I don't think it's all or nothing. For some people, cutting out certain thigns entirely works for them, but it's not for me. I still bake sticky cakes and cook roast lamb and bake my potatoes for the roast in olive oil, have chocolate and creamy coffee, strawberries with cream, porridge made with full cream milk. There's a lot to be said for the feeling of sheer indulgence in enjoying whole food, food that tastes just the way you want, without compromise, and really reminds you of the good things, gives that real sense of satisfaction (full cream milk porridge with brown sugar for me!).

You just have to incorporate this into your calorie allowance, go for a walk to earn some more calories, and remember it is not the end of the world if you do go over your calories a little occassionally. You want to be healthy and still enjoying yourself! Pick something you really want to make, go out and buy all the fresh ingredients yourself, make it by hand and really enjoy the whole experience of it, including the eating. You'll probably find you don't want rubbishy junk after such a lovely whole food experience :)

xx
  • velix
    velix Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I will echo the comments above and say that I think you have to remember to live your life and enjoy the things that make you happy - in moderation - and consciously. Be aware of portions, and balance them with healthy options when you can and active living or working out.

While I want to lose weight, I have been told by many medical (and physical) professionals that you cannot deny yourself the things you love, or else you will remain on the roller coaster ride of denial & binging. If you don't deny yourself, you are less likely to binge. Besides, being healthy isn't only about our physical body...yes, there are benefits that come with losing weight, but if you are miserable all the way through, you are denying your mental health which can be just as damaging to your overall self. In the end, you have to love the path you are taking for it to last (in my opinion).

Personally, I try to eat well most of the time, make my own food (might seem fattier, but it's less artificial, and I'll take that any day) and when I know I want to have a few drinks, I workout and eat well to compensate.

Good luck on everything!
  • Craig772
    Craig772 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I agree with gainskb. The food diary has really helped me with portion sizes. That's the main thing for me, learning the values of my food. Over the last year or so I really got portion distortion and MFP is invaluable to bringing me back inline.
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I like my foods too. Having said that, I recognize that a lot of the ones I love are not the best for me. I have not cut anything out, but I do make it a treat and not an everyday thing. I still eat fast food, but choose a chicken wrap (snack size) instead of a full chicken burger. I snack on a couple of fries rather than have a full box myself. I have a donut, but choose one with lower calories or no icing. I still have sugar in my coffee, but only 1 tsp now instead of 2 or 3. I cook hamburgers at home, but have a portion wise one rather than a full size 1/4 pounder.

It is all about balance. I have failed so many times before because of trying to restrict and forbid foods. This time, I am successful, because "can't" isn't part of my new plan. Portion control, earning treats through exercise and calorie knowledge are how I will live the rest of my life. I will eventually be eating 2000 or 2200 calories a day when I switch back to maintenance. Remember, the calories we are eating now are to LOSE weight, not maintain. The numbers will not always be this low.
  • Robin66
    Robin66 Posts: 103
    Options
    I say if you try to deprive yourself of things that you enjoy, you will never be able to reach your goals and maintain them. Everything in moderation. Treat yourself with all of your favorites, but remember they are treats. Good luck!
  • hotpickles
    hotpickles Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your words of support! It's so true, every single time I tell myself no, it's okay for the time being, and maybe for the second, third, or sixth time, but guess what.....I just end up overindulging.

L.
  • Niveous
    Niveous Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    No, it's not all or nothing. For me though, it is about moderation and balance. If I want a treat - I have it in moderation and work it into my allotted calories, or do a little bit of extra work in my exercise routine. If I want to go out to dinner at a restaurant and have something special, I might make healthier choices earlier in the day. I have altogether cut out certain unhealthy habits, like drinking soda for instance, but those were habits that I personally wanted to break and they were manageable for me. Find out what works best for you and don't deprive yourself.
  • numberscolors
    Options
    i'm yet another person who hasn't cut much out of my diet (except for fast food and soda, which wasn't too difficult because i hate the way that stuff makes me feel now). i do watch portions and eat mostly whole grains, beans,veggies, lean meats, fish, eggs, fruit, nuts, and lowfat dairy (i can't do nonfat! :noway:).

i also don't crave sweet things as much as i crave buttery, greasy, salty, cheesy, starchy things. here are some yummy swaps:
    - mashed sweet potatoes (less carbs, more nutrients!) with earth balance margarine instead of mashed potatoes with two tablespoons of butter!
    - frozen or fresh veggies instead of canned (too much sodium).
    - laughing cow light cheese instead of cream cheese.
    - homemade tacos with corn tortillas, very lean ground beef or ground turkey or grilled chicken, taco seasoning, lowfat sour cream, lowfat cheese sprinkles and all the lettuce, tomato, onions and peppers i want instead of taco bell.
    - half of a whole grain, low carb english muffin with melted cheese and tomato instead of a buttery grilled cheese sandwich with tomato bisque... etc.
    - black beans instead of refried.
    - non fat french vanilla half and half (only nonfat thing i like!) instead of half and half.
    - sashimi instead of tempura rolls when we go out for japanese.
    - eggplant instead of pasta for lasagna.

but sometimes you gotta just have the damn mashed potatoes or the grilled cheese or the refried beans! and for those *occasions*, be careful of how much, enjoy those few bites (really savor them and take your time), put down the fork and move on!

i hope this is helpful!

-evan
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    It's not, "all or nothing" for me either. I couldn't live like that. I'm a foodie, food is part of who I am. I love butter and cream and buttercream! I enjoy eating out and having experiences with friends and having cocktails. When I do, I'm careful for the rest of the day or I double my workouts and I don't do it all the time. It has taken me a year to reach my goals and for some that might be too long, but I want my healthy body and the pleasure of experiencing food with my friends and family too. I do cook at home and I cook very simply and healthy during the week. If there is an old favorite or something new I've been wanting to try that is not so healthy I do it on the weekends when I have time to squeeze in an extra workout. It says in my profile that I want to have it all, I've just had to learn that I can't have it all at once :smile:
  • ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    It's mainly portion control. If you want something, plan ahead. Make ROOM for it. That's why you need a food diary. I fill in what I am eating the night before so I know. I LOVE food too. Heck, I look forward to my next meal and snack all the time! Sure, sometimes I wish I could have a gigantic piece of chocolate cake. Yes, I can have that gigantic piece of chocolate cake one day. Just not often. I am fine with my lifestyle change now. You become used to it. I love vegetables now and used to NEVER eat them. I went to a buffet and ate 3 plates of vegetables and salad and was completely stuffed.
  • shannonichole
    Options
    I eat whatever I want, but in moderation. I work for my food by exercise so that the reward is that much sweeter. Today, I had a "hungry-day" and just wanted to munch, so I went for a walk first. Then later I wanted leftover pie so I went out to do some yardwork. I figured if I want it that bad then I will have to earn it.