Discouraged

Options
I have been dieting since 11 years old I go up and down. I am happily married with 4 wonderful children but so sick of dieting. I want it to go away and stay away.

Replies

• holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I understand your discouragement. However this site is famous for promoting a new lifestyle not a diet. That's what it is really about. It's not easy but putting it in a different perspective does help. Many people on here have no idea what it is like to love the taste of food. Put your information in and let MFP calculate your calorie intake. Try losing more slowly, no more than a pound a week so it doesn't seem so imposing on your present lifestyle. Don't go back in your life and start fresh. Find some friends on here to encourage you. I wish you well.
  • 1two3four
    1two3four Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I have been dieting since 11 years old I go up and down. I am happily married with 4 wonderful children but so sick of dieting. I want it to go away and stay away.

I've been on so many diets in my life. The problem is diets don't work for every body. Sometimes you just have to change your whole relationship with food for your whole life and that's what I did over two years ago when I joined this site.

I eat everything in moderation, period.

The only difference while I'm losing weight is that I eat less calories than if I were to maintain my weight.

That's where My Fitness Pal comes in. I log my foods and make it fit my calorie budget making sure I try to get enough fats, protein and fiber (for me, grams of fiber is more important than carbs overall).

I eat homemade foods, I eat fast food. I eat fresh fruit and veggies and ice cream. I eat 'junk food'. There is no unhealthy or healthy foods. There's just food I eat anytime and foods I eat only sometimes.

On the days I sit on the couch and do nothing, I eat less. On the days I go with my family to the zoo I eat more.

For me, I'll never have to diet ever again and I have MFP to thank for that.
  • MazieChick
    Options
    No diet has ever worked for me, not a one. With the simple philosophy on MFP of eat less, and move more, I've taken off 147 pounds so far, and am not done yet. I've completely changed my relationship with food and know that when I'm done getting my weight down, I'll be able to keep it in a healthy range. Weight loss doesn't have to be hard or complicated. Anyone can do it with a bit of dedication. :flowerforyou:
  • Nikki31104
    Nikki31104 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    MAZIECHICK!!!!! That is fantastic. Congratulations. I have realized that this isn't about a diet. It is about change. I know that this weight will never go away and stay away if I don't change how I eat. I did really well for about a year. I lost 40 pounds. But then I got lazy. I stopped caring. When I hit 190 pounds again I wanted to cry. So here I am again.
  • TapouTFTW
    Options
    A lot of people here have given a lot of solid advise. Diet fads are just that. The only consistent change you can make to your lifestyle is burn more calories than you consume. A calorie deficit = weight loss, just like a calorie surplus = weight gain. I think MFP does a fantastic job in helping the user see exactly what those calories are.... that is, if they are honest reporting to their diary.

Something happened around WWII were we took the word diet (what we consume) to mean something else (losing weight). You have to find that out for yourself once again. Sure, you can read it but you have to know it. I mean know it deep down. That you are changing your diet to make a better you. It becomes more than what you consume, but a total fitness picture.

My advice:
    1. Take a picture of yourself in something as close to your birthday suit as you can. Take another pic every 30 days.
    2. Tape yourself to calculate your body fat percentage. Do this every two weeks.
    3. Weight yourself twice a week.
    4. The day you weight and tape yourself, recalculate your body fat percentage.
    5. Get a digital scale to weight your food.
    6. Err on the side of caution when entering into your diary. If you don't know what something is "exactly" then say it cost more calories than you thought. If you exercise and you have to guesstimate the results, under report.
    7. Get your heart rate up for at least 30 minutes, three times a week. I recommend you do something active every day. Even if that just means a 15 minute walk at lunch.

Here is a good site to assist in Body Fat Calculations
    http://www.bmi-calculator.net/body-fat-calculator/

A month from now, you will be suprised by the results. Numbers are one thing but pictures do not lie. Put these pics up where you can see them. When you feel discouraged, look at them again!!

You want a friend? Add me.. :) I cant wait to hear how great you will be doing in 30 days.