The Scale: Every Day or Once a Week?

Options

Replies

• kbkeats
    kbkeats Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I think it's a personal choice more so than a "right way". For myself, I like to weigh everyday.
  • Lynzigzagzay
    Lynzigzagzay Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I do it daily, I find it keeps me far more accountable. Trying to do measurements once a week though, I'm really lax with those.
  • gem192
    gem192 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'd think about the scale MORE if I weighed in weekly than if I weighed myself every morning like I do now. Also, it keeps me accountable. I'm a master of justifying one snack here, a treat there - that would happen all week long.

Measurements once a week, though. And photos once a month.

It's all about what keeps your momentum going, personally.
  • DonaldChadDavis
    DonaldChadDavis Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily, write it down in one of those cheep monthly calendars and see how I progress through the week, month, year. I can also see what X amount of sodium, excess calories etc does to my body.

I take my measurements weekly. I measure neck, chest, waist, hips, thigh, bicep, calf.
  • emboslice94
    Options
    Once a month, sometimes every two weeks. But Once a month on the first usually. I prefer to focus on what I'm doing and just check in.
  • crzypsychnrs1
    crzypsychnrs1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day because it keeps me focused for the day ahead. However, I can completely relate to the let down when the scale goes up and the neurosis that follows. I have started a new approach, exercise. If my scale is a little higher, I drink more water and add more minutes to my cardiovascular. Say 5 minutes extra for each pound, 1) it makes me feel in control and that I have power over this 2) it can't hurt 3) by the end of the workout I'm too tired to care LOL!! and you get extra calories to eat:)). Exercise can make you retain some fluid, so can your sodium intake so don't be too surprised if your scale goes up after a strenuous workout, it will adjust. Don't starve yourself , just add more fiber on your heavy day, no carbs, veggies(greens)...I find the fit active vanilla shakes are great!!! Hang in there!!: also, you can weigh every 2 days if that gives your mind a rest!! smile: :smile:
  • Courage1895
    Options
    I used to weigh myself all the time...like several times a day, but now I do it whenever I am at the gym. It takes the stress off of weighing myself after every meal which was making me crazy, and now I look forward to weighing myself and thinking how I have another few days to lower the number.
  • bumblebreezy91
    bumblebreezy91 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily. But if you choose to go that route, you have to understand that your weight fluctuates daily based on different things. I'm just a curious person, though.

If you're finding yourself becoming obsessive or discouraged with weighing daily, I'd definitely suggest going with once a week. :smile:

This.

And to answer the question, I generally weigh in every other day--sometimes more (every morning--I do not weigh in multiple times per day, that would be disastrous), sometimes less. If it's the day before my weigh-in and I know I went off my typical menu and may be retaining water, I hold off for another day because I can get a little discouraged seeing the number go up even a little (even knowing about the fluctuations, even realizing it's not "fat" gain) sometimes.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily. It shows me how easy it is for my weight to fluctuate depending on whether it's my time of the month, whether I've just used the bathroom, whether I've had a lot of carbs or sodium.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I recommend daily weigh-ins, with a huge caveat: you need to do some math to find the difference between your actual weight loss and the daily fluctuations, which are much larger.

Your weight fluctuates depending on water, salt, and fiber intake, and other factors having nothing to do with calories. Using an exponentially weighted average can help you filter out the noise and focus on the trend, as John Walker explains in "The Hacker's Diet" (http://www.fourmilab.ch/hackdiet/e4/). The chapter on "The Rubber Bag" explains, briefly, the source of these fluctuations. The chapter on "Signal and Noise" explains how some simple math can filter them out. Walker explains how to do the math, but you can also set up a free account on his server to do it for you, or use a service like Beeminder or TrendWeight.com.

If you're going to be all "OMG! I'm bloated!" if you see the number go up by 2 lbs. from one day to the next, then daily weigh-ins aren't for you. Personally, I'm not bothered, because it's the trend that matters. My daily weight has gone up every day for the past 4 days, even though I've been eating at a decent deficit every day. But because I've been doing this for over a year, I know that it's because I have been eating more restaurant food (with lots of sodium) and doing some unaccustomed exercise (cross-country skiing -- finally enough snow!) that's related to fluid retention. I expect the number on the scale to be lower tomorrow. But if not, I won't beat myself up.
  • austinsneeze
    austinsneeze Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    You're supposed to weigh once a week... in reality, sometimes it can be encouraging to weigh everyday to see progress.
  • asia_hanebach
    asia_hanebach Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I think this is definitely a matter of personal preference. Personally, I'm aware of the fact that my weight will fluctuate a little bit day-to-day, and that doesn't freak me out. If seeing a slightly higher number stresses you out, weekly measurements might work better for you. That being said, from a statistical point of view, you will have a better idea of what is going on with your weight loss and its general trend if you have more data (aka daily measurements). For example, if you tend to get bloated around your TOM, a weekly measurement might fall on your most bloated day, making you think you've suddenly gained a pound or two within a week. If you had been taking daily measurements, it'd be easier to spot that measurement as a statistical outlier.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Neither. Once a month or so. Its just a number.
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    More data is generally better in my opinion so I weigh once a day first thing in the morning. This allows me to look at rolling averages and trends that filter out the noise caused by the natural fluctuations in my weight and any lack of repeatability in my scale.
  • katmjohnson
    Options
    For me weighing myself everyday was my downfall. Instead of keeping me accountable it convinced me that I was a failure and that I'd never lose the weight. Now I weigh myself maybe once a week and sometimes I honestly forget because I can feel the progress that I am making. I hope this helps.
  • stefsc1
    stefsc1 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I weigh around twice a week, though not always the same days. Mostly whenever I'm feeling curious, and think it's been long enough to see some progress (so 3-4 days). However, if I happen to weigh myself on a day where my weight is higher than last recorded, I will weigh myself the next day as well to see if it was just a fluctuation, or whether I need to snack a little less for the next few days!
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I wait as long as I can in between - sometimes it's been a couple weeks or more and sometimes it's every day. When I don't see results on the daily thing I am done with it until a week or so goes by. Then I try again and usually see results.

But hey, I'm random and trying not to box myself in with many rules or I get all obsessive.
  • MissSethra
    MissSethra Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I do weekly weigh ins, Monday mornings. Picking Monday for weigh in mentally helps me behave over the weekend, which are hard days for me to keep from over doing it. I also measure on Monday mornings. But I also measure other times during the week too. The tape measure really helps me from over doing it more so than the scale.
  • susanrechter
    susanrechter Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I weigh when I want to. Most of the time it is daily so I have an idea if things are staying under control.
  • 33Freya
    33Freya Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I like to weigh every day but I only track Wednesday mornings.

That said, I treat the scale like a the tool it is, not the end-all. I also measure and know not to freak out over fluctuations (ok I admit to happy-dancing when it goes down).

It sounds like you make unhealthy choices when you see fluctuations so maybe for you, it's better to keep it weekly...

Good luck!!