139lbs, 5'5 but yet 31% body fat...

Options
I've lost 66lbs...and I'm at 139lbs...but my body fat percentage is still pretty high at 31%... and I have a hanging stomach still. what am I doing wrong? why isn't my stomach going away...I'm worried that I'm getting close to a low weight that my stomach isn't gonna go away... a lot of my friends weigh basically the same, but yet they are toothpicks... Help?

Replies

• Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    How fast are you losing the weight? How much are you eating, and how many grams of protein?

Do you exercise at all?
  • hannibal28
    hannibal28 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    are you doing core exercises?
  • DatPanna
    Options
    Who measured your body fat percentage and how? If you're working from a body fat scale at home, those can be TERRIBLE in error.
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    are you doing core exercises?

She doesn't need to do core exercises. You can't spot reduce.

OP, you need to lower your overall bodyfat %. That means, resistance training, small to moderate deficit, and plenty of protein.
  • electriophile
    Options
    Time to up the exercise regimen! Low weight with high body fat percentage indicates there's not enough muscle mass. Start doing deadlifts, planks, squats, reverse crunches, and lots of cardio. And if you're worried that lifting weights will make you look "too big": DON'T! If gaining lots of muscle mass were that easy, everyone would do it. Weightlifting will make you look lean and toned, and will definitely take care of the high body fat percentage. :)
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I've lost 66lbs...and I'm at 139lbs...but my body fat percentage is still pretty high at 31%... and I have a hanging stomach still. what am I doing wrong?

Nothing, so far as I can see. Huge progress, but you're just not quite lean yet. Another 10 lbs of fat will put you at about 25%, which will result in a marked change in appearance.

Good luck!

(And congrats on what you've accomplished so far - great work!)
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    This thread may help you understand about different weights on similar heights. I am also 5'5" and even at 125, I was not fit and had plenty of flab left. I have changed my goal to building more muscle for a leaner appearance, but I will need to gain weight to do so. Your disappointment may be your fitness, not your weight.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1197827-some-of-us-are-just-not-made-to-be-that-skinny
  • I exercise everyday however it was just pure cardio. I'm now learning about weights I just started getting into them! My food is on point, and I have been losing at my own pace if don't know how so fast but I'm doing it the healthy way.